Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

How is THE EYE 2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts
How is THE EYE 2?

I saw it today for 16 bucks, and I really like the first one. wondering how this one is. still pang bros. directed?
Old 06-26-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, still Pang Bros. directed. However, the movie is boring as hell. Nothing like the first one. I couldn't have cared less about any of the characters. Plus, it wasn't scary at all.

Save your money.
Old 06-26-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, me and my friend are watching it tomorrow along with Haute Tension, im making sure Eye 2 goes first.
Old 06-26-04, 08:42 PM

If you like the first one, the second one is worth a look.

Pang bros. can still pull off scary scenes - along the same lines as Hideo Nakata's Ringu & Dark Water and Takashi Shimizu's Ju-On series. This is something that I haven't seen in any american horror movies lately - except The Ring, but that doesn't count

There are several areas where the sequel is weaker than the orginal.

First is the plot. In the first one, we're ahead from the main character in figuring out what she saw are not "normal". It's understandable since she hasn't been able to see since she was a kid. In the sequel, there's no reason why the audience is always two steps or more ahead of Shu Qi's character. I won't reveal what the twist is, but trust me, you won't need it anyway. You'll get it when you see it the first time, but the main character has about 5 months and she still didn't get it.

Second is the character. Not only she's slow, but she also comes across as a materialistic ego-centric yuppie. A lethal combo. She's supposed to undergo a transformation and you see this through her actions, but the movie spends no effort in explaining the reasons and Shu Qi's acting leaves no clue either.

If I sounded harsh, it's because I want you to come in with a low expectation. It's not a bad movie at all and the main reason is, I'm repeating myself, Pang bros has the talent to put together a scary scene. Case in point, the closing shot of the movie that recaps the twist. Although you've guessed the twist about an hour before that shot, it's still effective nonetheless and leaves hairs at the back of your neck standing.
Old 06-27-04, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by brombie
If you like the first one, the second one is worth a look.

If I sounded harsh, it's because I want you to come in with a low expectation. It's not a bad movie at all and the main reason is, I'm repeating myself, Pang bros has the talent to put together a scary scene. Case in point, the closing shot of the movie that recaps the twist. Although you've guessed the twist about an hour before that shot, it's still effective nonetheless and leaves hairs at the back of your neck standing.
I'll second everything that was said above. The movie is not great, but its not the train wreck that some people claim it to be. Then again, I didn't think The Eye was all that original either.

If there was a problem with the movie, it was trying to come up with a "sequel" to a movie that left no wrong for a sequel. So what the Pang Brothers did was come up with a story that has a similiar theme, and explored that.

The biggest problem the movie has is its own legacy. If it wasn't called "The Eye 2" and was allowed to be judged on its own merits, I don't think people would be so negative about it.

By the way, its part of the current YesAsia.com sale going on, where you can buy it on DVD for less than $9.
Old 06-27-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw this and liked it, not as good as the first but enjoyable nonetheless although you do get the feeling of some of it going over the top sometimes, especially near the end. Took a little too long to get rolling also. I also loved Phillip Kwok in a small role.
SPOILER-------------------------------------------------------------------

My main beef is that after everything that happens in the movie you find out all the grief was for nothing since everyone had good intentions in the long run, and 2 falls? Cmon, that s stretching it a little bit.
Old 06-27-04, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by harosa
SPOILER-------------------------------------------------------------------

My main beef is that after everything that happens in the movie you find out all the grief was for nothing since everyone had good intentions in the long run, and 2 falls? Cmon, that s stretching it a little bit.
SPOILER:

I thought her multiple suicide attempts fit the entire story's Buddhist themes. Her destiny was to give birth to her child, and there was nothing she could do about it. Suffering on earth is also a primary ingredient of Buddhist philosophy, and if you understand that, the movie takes on a deeper meaning.
Old 06-28-04, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler--

I got that, its just that i thought 2 falls was pushing it in terms of that we're supposed to accept that she and her baby got through it unscathed, i thought one fall would've been sufficent, it had a more shock value to it also with the one tracking shot.
Old 06-28-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish they had kept the ghosts looking as scary as they did in the first movie. They just look like normal people in this one.

SPOILER:

Also, I thought that falling twice and surviving was a bit much, but the ghost did tell her "I can't let you die." So maybe that had something to do with it.
Old 09-07-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that an R1 release is out, does anybody have any pointers to discssions comparing the US release to the Hong Kong one. I have the Hong Kong release and am wondering if the US is worth an upgrade. Thanks!
Old 09-08-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked up the R1 for $5 "brand new" as a PVD at Hollywood Video, now I am also curious as to the picture quality compared to the HK release!
Old 09-08-05, 09:31 PM
Cool New Member

I have the hk one, but I haven't had time to watch it yet. I have the eye one, but my friend has it and hasn't returned it in a year.

I read though that the eye 2 is better if the user has background in chinese ghost stories, but I am not sure since I am not familiar with either
Old 09-15-05, 02:19 PM
Cool New Member

Just watched it. I liked it. Still has the same Pang brothers visuals but doesn't recycle the story from the first movie.

SPOILER

Also, I thought that falling twice and surviving was a bit much, but the ghost did tell her "I can't let you die." So maybe that had something to do with it.
That was my impression as well. In the other scenes the ghost could manipulate objects so I think presumably she softened her fall.

As a side note I think Shu Qi did a great job in this movie. I saw her in Transporter as well but that's about it. Can anybody recommend some good movies she was in.
Old 09-16-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spoiler
Spoiler:
please use spolier tags
Old 09-21-05, 02:01 AM
Cool New Member

Shu Qi films

You must see "Millenium Mambo" by Hou Hsiou Hsien. Shes in his new one "Three Times" as well. Its debuting at the NYFF and im going! Yea!

I think shes the most beautiful woman on the panet! Also check
out "So Close" for a more cheesy and "cheese-cakey!" action flik...shes also has some...um, websites...ahem. Google her! Shes stunning....