Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Quick Enter the Dragon question

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-21-04, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to bring up an old topic but if someone could save me some time and point out major differences (aside from DTS track) between the new ETD R1 SE
and the one in the new Korean/HK Bruce Lee sets.

much appreciated

Thanks
Old 06-22-04, 02:13 PM

Hi mate

The diiference is that both have been remastered and restored but the korean/hk versions is only in the original cantonese and mandarin tracks and does not include the W/B original title sequence but the local chinese alternative title designs.

The region 1 is pristine compared to the other version with much better picture quality and looking more like a new movie.

The DTS track on HK versions is poor and not as dynamic as the region 1 edition considering that is only 5.1.

My advice go for The region 1 seperately.

Good hunting
Old 06-22-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,307 Likes on 873 Posts
I have the old 25th anniversary Special Edition. Does the new R1 SE have better sound/picture?

Edited to add: Nevermind, I have my answer.

Video:

When I reviewed the first Special Edition DVD of the movie a few years ago, I said it was, indeed, special. The approximately 2.13:1 widescreen ratio presented an anamorphic, color-corrected image that was as good as anything I'd seen from an older film. The colors hardly betrayed a hint of their age except in a certain degree of fade in some scenes. But times change and often for the better. The film has now been remastered at a higher bit rate, meaning less compression and more color and depth. Hues are more solid than ever, colors brighter, and definition very slightly sharper. The picture is really quite lovely to look at, perhaps a bit too dark in facial hues at times and accompanied by a very small amount of natural grain, but otherwise excellent. Also, the overall dimensions have been slightly reduced to about 2.10:1, and there are some minor line jitters, hardly noticeable.

Audio:

The original two-channel stereo sound was remastered in the previous edition for Dolby Digital 5.1 playback, and it, too, appears to have been remastered again for this new edition. Earlier, the sound betrayed its origins in a somewhat harsh, flat, nasal manner, but in its new trappings the sound has blossomed, opened up with an added smoothness, especially noticeable in the musical track. Understandably, rear-channel information continues to be restricted and channel separation is a tad limited compared to today's best sonic blockbusters, so don't expect "Master and Commander" here. While voices remain a tad hard and bright, clarity is fine, bass is prominent, and dynamics are more than adequate.

Last edited by eXcentris; 06-22-04 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-23-04, 11:24 AM

Um... Enter the Dragon is not available in the Korean Bruce Lee set. In Korea, there are 2 DVDs of this movie: the same version as the old 25th anniversary edition only with a DTS track, or the new 2 disk SE.

The DTS track isn't very bad but it isn't very good either. The remastering is okay, but it's an old movie so there's not much going on anywhere other than the front.
Old 07-05-04, 01:17 PM
Cool New Member

Also the R1 2 disc Special Edition contains Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey and Bruce Lee: Curse Of The Dragon