Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Infernal Affairs - UK R2 Tartan vs HK R0 Megastar Comparison Review

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have compared the HK Megastar release and the upcoming UK Tartan release of this excellent cop thriller in another of our detailed comparison reviews here.

Snippet:
An excellent Hong Kong film with some great performances and some serious amounts of style, Infernal Affairs should be seen at all costs, and most definitely seen before Hollywood tear it apart with the Brad Pitt remake. As for the releases, the two versions are almost technically identical, so it should really come down to the extra features; albeit for the subtitling, they are matched here also. But without said subtitles, the second disc on the Megastar release is just a 'coaster' to the majority of the English speaking fans, and the audio commentary on the first disc is rendered pointless, so clearly this new Tartan release has to be the winner.
Old 06-15-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like my procrastination in getting this one is being rewarded - English subs for the commentary make this a no-brainer!
Old 06-15-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know how the Korean R3 version compares as far as picture quality? I'd rather have an NTSC transfer if its PQ is equivalent to the Tartan.
Old 06-15-04, 04:14 PM

Nice to hear the commentary on the Tartan is subtitled.

Megastar r3hk INFERNAL AFFAIRS is improperly flagged. Progressive-scan users with flag-reading players might get severely pulsating backgrounds. Buyer beware.

Starmax r3k is correctly flagged for 3:2 pulldown. Similar-looking transfer to the r3hk, and both look very close to how it was projected theatrically. r3k aso contains a bonus disc extra not found on r3hk (photoshoot of Andy Lau and Tony Leung in South Korea) as well as a physical extra in the form of a piece of 35mm film strip. Alternative ending is easily accessed via branching. Nicer packaging too.
Old 06-15-04, 06:07 PM

I thought the film was so-so only. 4/10. Not bothered to watch the other 2 parts.

The DTS soundtrack though on the Region 0 HK Mega Star-Media Asia is magnificent. I never had any problems playing back the NTSC picture on a NTSC capable TV. I've not heard of any problems either until I seen the post above.

I've seen this super cheap. Try here (HK$) and here (US$)

Convert HK$ to US$
Old 06-16-04, 12:28 AM

Part 2 is better a little better, I thought. If you didn't like all 700 Young and Dangerous films this won't be your cup of tea though. Started watching Part 3 and quit about 25 minutes in, haven't picked it up since.