Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hero: The Korean 2 DVD set?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-10-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a Korean book store on 32nd st and they had what appeared to be the legit 2 disc DVD of Hero (R3). However, it was all in Korean except for some specs on the back (which listed 5.1 audio, English subtitles...). Anyone know what the Korean DVD of Hero looks like? Also, it was $29.99, which seemed a bit steep, but would be worth it compared to a hacked Miramax version if that's the other option. Any links to Hero artwork so I can be sure that that's what it is? Any better deals on the same thing?
Old 06-10-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was it this one?
Old 06-10-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The cover didn't look like that/ It was redish/orangish, with a really nice image of people on horses in the distance. I don't recall any closeups on the front. The back had some tiny closeups but I couldn't really make out who was on it. I should have snapped a picture of it.

And, to make things more confusing, that page you linked says " * The DVD image may not represent the actual coverart of DVD "
Old 06-10-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It could have looked like a red version of this but it's so generic...
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm
Old 06-10-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Either way, all there is out now, in any form, is the "hacked" Miramax version everyone despises so much, yet they want to see another version of the movie?
Old 06-10-04, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
The cover didn't look like that/ It was redish/orangish, with a really nice image of people on horses in the distance. I don't recall any closeups on the front. The back had some tiny closeups but I couldn't really make out who was on it. I should have snapped a picture of it.
That sounds like the front cover of MUSA.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

The version of HERO to get is the r2j. Better image quality and sound than all other previous releases.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...218177-4705021

Don't waste your time on the r3k because it's a port of the r3hk. All versions on DVD are the 98-minute cut. Supposedly there is a longer cut on China's EVD format, but aside from superlatives being tossed around on film forums touting its apparently superior image and lengthened running time, I have not seen or heard anything else about it (not even discussion about what was added, much less screenshots). Does it really exist?
Old 06-10-04, 12:56 PM

By the way, this is the cover to the r3k release of HERO. Not worth buying, since it is essentially a repackaging of the less expensive r3hk set.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=vSFzDW3e
Old 06-10-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wuken
That sounds like the front cover of MUSA.
Damn! You know your stuff! What's MUSA? Is it any good?

As for Hero, I didn't realize that even the import versions are the hacked up ones. That sucks! Well, I'll have to wait longer, I guess.
Old 06-11-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
... What's MUSA? Is it any good?
MUSA is great! It's visually stunning and more brutal than Hero.
Was this the one you saw?

The one linked to is the uncut version. The international version runs about a hour shorter.
Old 06-11-04, 08:55 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by harosa
Either way, all there is out now, in any form, is the "hacked" Miramax version everyone despises so much
not for long, it seems

http://tarantino.webds.de/tarantino/...004/031604.htm
Old 06-11-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MuteClown
not for long, it seems

Well, at least he's good for something. That's great news!
Old 06-11-04, 12:42 PM

I knew this would happen. I told everybody that cared about Hero a year ago that Miramax would force everybody to show the cut version and delay the 2-hour version's DVD long enough until they could release the 2-hour version and look like heroes. It pisses me off to no end this happened. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy the 2-hour cut'll finally be released, I'm just so pissed it happens like this.

By the way, Musa's a really good movie. If the store calls the movie Hero, then they're silly 'cause the musa means warrior. You should still get it, though, worth the 30 bucks.

For the record, the Korean Hero DVD hass a yellowish cover with Jet Li front and centre.

Last edited by pat00139; 06-11-04 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-11-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
HERO is being shown at the NY Asian Film Festival next week (sold out !) - in a 98 minute version.

http://www.subwaycinema.com/frames/nyaff04-hero.htm
Old 06-11-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by MuteClown
not for long, it seems

ARRGGGGHHH!!! This misinformation has GOT to stop.

The version Tarantino saw was the 98-minute version. Miramax was actually going trim THIS version even more for the US audience - hence Tarantino stepping in to stop it. In other words, ALL US releases are also 98 minutes - same as everywhere in the world. The Miramax US prints shown at Cannes and at the upcoming NY Asian Film Fest are ALL 98 minutes.

This means that NO, the 120 minute version is NOT being released by Tarantino.

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 06-11-04 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-11-04, 01:34 PM

Not to push this off topic, but is that Korean 2 disc set the best MUSA set out?

-JR
Old 06-11-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grimfarrow, thank you, people's constant whining for a version that no one has seen is getting too tiresome. Im sick of people constantly referring to the 98 minute version as the "cut" version, this is the version the WHOLE world has seen and "supposedly" fallen in love with, me i found it boring as all hell, but thats me. I dont get people's constant whining in wanting to see a version different than what everyone else has, like they deserve better than everyone else. And people, guess what, sometimes a longer version might not be a better thing.
Old 06-11-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by pat00139
If the store calls the movie Hero, then they're silly 'cause the musa means warrior. You should still get it, though, worth the 30 bucks.
They're not calling it Hero or anything else in English. for some reason thought it might be Hero from the cover art. Wishful thinking.

As for why people have been lamenting the 98 minute version: I think there's a feeling that the 120 minute version is the real version. If that's not the case, if Zhiang thinks the 98 minute version is the real version, then that's that.