Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Legend - Alternate Cut on Japanese DVD: question

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Legend - Alternate Cut on Japanese DVD: question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-04, 11:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Ridley Scott's 'Legend' - Alternate Cut on Japanese DVD: question

I read over on another website that there is a third cut of 'Legend' which is an alternate cut of the Region 1 Ultimate Edition or as Amazon.com.jp suggests, the 94 minute European version cut of the film. One, does anyone have this? Second, which version is it? This:

ASIN Amazon number B00005V2ZQ

or this:

ASIN Amazon number ASINF B0000AFOE9

being a 'Legend' completist, any info would be great since I would like to order this sometime in the near future.

Last edited by Giles; 06-09-04 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-24-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever get an answer to this?
Old 03-24-07, 05:41 PM

Wasn't the Euro cut out on R2 (euro) DVD?
Old 03-29-07, 07:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

In R3 and maybe R2 you can get the original 95-odd minute film w/o the frikken' Tangerine Dream soundtrack.
As far as I know only R1 has the extended edition (also with the Goldsmith score), plus the dumbed-down-for Americans edition.
Old 03-29-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Japanese R2 by FOX is in fact the "International Cut", the 94 minute version seen in Europe and the rest of the world. It has the Jerry Goldsmith score in 2.0 surround, and the only extra is the theatrical trailer.

The PAL R2 discs around Fox Europe are also the "International Cut", at 90 minutes with PAL speedup.
Old 03-29-07, 09:10 PM

I have the R2 Japanese DVD and highly recommend it.

For starters the transfer is superior to the U.S. Director's Cut as it came from better elements and has warmer colors and is less contrasty.

It also has the 95 min. European version of the film, which isn't available in the U.S., which sports the Goldsmith score PLUS a different ending than either of the two versions available in the U.S.

Basically, it's like the Restored Director's Cut, but it's not restored...is about 20 minutes shorter...and has a different last shot...plus a different (better) transfer.