Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Mortal Kombat (ENG) DTS ???? Does it exist on DVD?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-17-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm already aware of the LD version and the Italian DVD (Italian DTS Track).

Please tell me it exists somewhere?
Old 05-18-04, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not true. Check ebay. Every seller from Taiwan that says they'll only ship to Taiwan has told me they would ship to the US. It's very possible. Just be nice. They're marking this stuff up like crazy anyway.
Old 05-18-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks!

Couldn't find anything on Ebay....I'll keep checking.
Old 05-18-04, 12:11 PM
Banned

Good rule of thumb...

go into advanced search and only look at those from taiwan. Do a search inside the actual ad as well. Because there is a langauge difference, sometimes it works out this way.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks.

No go on MK DTS but I did find The Mask DTS (Taiwan). It's listed as all regions . Seller has pretty good feedback. I asked him if he could acquire MK.
Old 05-18-04, 01:09 PM
Banned

A lot of the Taiwanese sellers are selling on Yahoo Taiwan under the same name. They may have even better feedback on that. I think some are just starting to sell on Ebay and realizing that they can reach more people this way. That's how I got my K-19 2 disc and the seller spoke broken english but it got to me packed very well. Just took 2 weeks. And payment wasn't easy.

Remember...it's illegal to sell outside of Taiwan. It actually states it right on the packaging of the discs.
Old 05-18-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
And payment wasn't easy.

Remember...it's illegal to sell outside of Taiwan. It actually states it right on the packaging of the discs.
What were the difficulties you encountered with paying? So, if it's illegal, how do the suppliers get the item outside the country. What happens if US Customs gets a hold of it?

Damn! ....and I thought I knew everything about importing dvds.
Old 05-18-04, 02:29 PM
Banned

Well...he didn't accept paypal. And since Taiwan doesn't accept international money orders...i was pretty much screwed. I had to send cash which was sent through registered mail. I think that cost me about $7. But it was worth it to make sure the money got there safely. I think that took 4-6 days.

I don't know what happens if customs gets a hold of it. But I have to say that I think he even wrote "DVD's" on the customs form and it wasn't stopped. I guess they don't care that much. But it does say right on the box "not for sale outside of taiwan."

I'm actually getting a few more movies from Taiwan from someone else right now so I'll let you know what happens once I receive them. I'm sure he'll do the same thing.
Old 05-18-04, 03:39 PM
Cool New Member

I finally just bought the LD because I was unable to find the DVD, although if you find a good source that you can share, please do. Yes, I love this movie, even though it is EXTREMELY cheesy, although, it does have one of the best techno sound tracks, IMHO.

I have never watched the second one...... My fiance was waiting for me at the theater with 2 tickets in hand to see it, and I missed it, got there too late, she said I didn't miss much.
Old 05-18-04, 09:36 PM

I thought you could import any DVD as long as it was only one, and only for your private use, no matter what it said on the cover. Anyway, any Chinatown will show you it's possible for someone to get large shipments of DVDs from Asia without any real problems, even though the covers state, don't sell ouside HK, Macao and whatever other place.

Anyway, dvdcompare says nothing of DTS tracks, but they only have 2 regions.
Old 05-18-04, 09:39 PM
Banned

I've never seen any DVD's from another asian country say this. From what I'm told by people in Taiwan, it's specific to that region.

Most places (like DVDcompare) don't have Taiwanese versions at their disposal. Why? Because its ridiculously hard to import them. Why? Becuase it's pretty much illegal
Old 05-18-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've grown tired of Dvdcompare, since they show no love for Region 3

digitalfreaknyc / Bill,

Thanks for your help. I'm hoping to have my dvds by next week.

Edit: Forgot to include Bill.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 05-18-04 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 08:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Mouse_Master
I finally just bought the LD because I was unable to find the DVD, although if you find a good source that you can share, please do. Yes, I love this movie, even though it is EXTREMELY cheesy, although, it does have one of the best techno sound tracks, IMHO.

I have never watched the second one...... My fiance was waiting for me at the theater with 2 tickets in hand to see it, and I missed it, got there too late, she said I didn't miss much.
aint the laserdisc a kick in the head - an absolutely amazing DTS soundmix? Aggressive is an understatement, New Line Home Video's DTS laserdisc's "The Long Kiss Goodnight' 'Lost in Space' were the pinnacle of audio transfers that weren't surpressed in an way for home theatre audio systems.
Old 05-19-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mouse_Master

Where did you find the DTS LD? Ebay?
Old 05-19-04, 03:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by candyrocket786
Where did you find the DTS LD? Ebay?
I bought it new off of Ebay for $20 + shipping this year, and got lucky, previous auction it was $40.

It is an AMAZING soundtrack, now, we just need it's DTS soundtrack, no clue if the Region 3 is full bit rate, if it is, they should be identical soundtracks, but with a better picture from the DVD. The Region 1 DVD is OK, not great, the LDs picture is good as far as LD standards go.
Old 05-19-04, 11:36 PM

'I've never seen any DVD's from another asian country say this. From what I'm told by people in Taiwan, it's specific to that region.'

I have so many HK DVDs that say 'For sale in HK, Macao and Taiwan only', or something like that. Hkflix has a ton of Taiwanese DVDs so they can be found. I've bought quite a few. As for DVDcompare, they don't have much of any R3 DVDs, let alone Taiwanese DVDs, it's not too surprising their Taiwanese DVDs are a bit on the low side.

Anyway, still haven't heard of a Mortal Kombat with a DTS track yet.
Old 05-24-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just received my DVD today. Here are some screenshots:

Old 05-24-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as the DVD goes.......

I though the DTS track sounded pretty WEAK. I had to crank-up my receiver at least 7+ notches (over my normal volume level) just to hear the music. At times, I honestly preferred the PCM track over the DTS one. The DTS track was also out-of-sync by like 1/2 sec. (not very noticeable).

Picture is indeed Anamorphic and somewhat decent.

DVD is region free even though it says R3.

For the price I paid, I guess I really can't complain.

off topic...I also received The Mask DTS, which I thought had a louder soundtrack than MK. Picture was also 16:9.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 05-25-04 at 12:01 AM.