Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters Superbit 1 & 2 - Japan Strikes Again

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-14-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hmv.co.jp/Product/Detail.asp?sku=1852813 - Ghostbusters

http://www.hmv.co.jp/Product/Detail.asp?sku=1852807 - Ghostbusters 2

http://www.hmv.co.jp/Product/Detail.asp?sku=1852246 - 1 & 2 Combo
Old 05-14-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Damn! There goes another $50 out of my pocket.

It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the R1 (non SB) version.
Old 05-14-04, 02:34 PM

Sweet!!
Old 05-14-04, 02:35 PM

R2J Once upon a Time in Mexico Superbit will also be released on the very same day.
Old 05-14-04, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by candyrocket786
Damn! There goes another $50 out of my pocket.

It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the R1 (non SB) version.
$50 for EACH movie.

And of course, it will have a DTS track.
Old 05-14-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
$50 for EACH movie.

And of course, it will have a DTS track.

Yeah...I was just referring to GB1.
Old 05-15-04, 04:33 AM

Ouch, is a Region 3 Korean version coming out anytime soon?
Old 05-15-04, 10:17 AM

Old 05-15-04, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Shroud
Ouch, is a Region 3 Korean version coming out anytime soon?
They usually don't. Korea only got Spider-man as an exclusive. All the others are exclusive to Japan. This is nothing new.
Old 05-15-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts
That's going to be an expensive day!
Old 05-15-04, 03:19 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
if they weren't so damn expensive...
Old 05-15-04, 04:23 PM
Banned

Blah, no silver slipcases

On a more serious note though, the US releases aren't bad at all, are you sure this is worth the upgrade?

I guess for me since I don't have a DTS receiver audio doesn't really matter that much for me...but video quality does...I think it takes a very discerning eye sometimes to see the differences in quality unless it seriously is the difference between night and day. For Once Upon A Time I doubt you'll see huge improvements, but maybe you will for Ghostbusters.

And pardon me for the silly question, but it DTS that much better than regular audio? What's the difference? More channels? Better surround? To me, turning up the audio loud makes all audio sound pretty similar...
Old 05-15-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DTS is better only if you think so. Personally, I love it and it makes a huge difference. There is DTS 5.1 and 6.1.

The following is from DTSonline.com:

Standard Release Format

Many of the most successful films of recent years have featured DTS soundtracks, including most Academy Award-nominated films for Best Sound since 1993. Today, all major studios in the United States, as well as many foreign film companies and distributors, are releasing films in DTS.

Post-Production Flexibility

DTS is the only choice for filmmakers who desire a high degree of flexibility near the end of the post-production process. Since the soundtrack is on a disc, last minute changes can be made up to a few days before release without incurring the high cost of remaking prints.

Distribution Versatility

DTS is the only format that allows foreign language playback using domestic prints. Saving valuable time, money and print management efforts, all that is required is a new set of foreign language discs. Because DTS prints contain a conventional stereo optical track as well as the DTS timecode, a single inventory of prints can be used for theatres worldwide. This process makes digital sound a practical release format for all films.

Special Venues

DTS is the only digital sound format that is compatible with any film format, perf and frame rate for large format films, motion-based ride films and other special venues.

Accessibility for Diverse Audiences

Providing diverse audiences with an opportunity to share the motion picture experience, DTS' innovative technology is the only digital sound delivery system that can support programs like DVS® Theatrical and the Rear Window™ Captioning System for visually- and hearing-impaired patrons.

Premium Sound at Affordable Prices

DTS offers the best cinema sound products at affordable prices. We call it extraordinary quality with exceptional value. This optimum blend of performance and price enables exhibitors to offer audiences the finest quality digital sound presentation at every show. DTS' technology produces a system that is the most remarkable, reliable and cost-effective solution for digital sound delivery in theatres today.

Global Branding

Audience recognition for multi-channel digital sound has grown significantly over the past seven years. At the forefront is DTS, a brand consumers around the world increasingly recognize as offering the highest quality audio experience for entertainment. As we continue to achieve success in the theatrical, consumer electronics and home theatre markets, more and more people are asking for DTS by name.
Old 05-16-04, 03:36 PM
Banned

Thanks for the post; but again, since I can't tell the difference, regular audio for me is just as good. I guess you really need nice speakers to tell the difference. Probably a good thing, as it saves me a lot of money from not having to buy other region discs simply for the DTS tracks.
Old 05-16-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, a shitty 5.1 setup works fine. No to need spend the big $$ to get decent DTS. I was watching the Core DTS (Japan) tonight and realized that the sound, while great, would be so much better with a different speaker setup and receiver. Basically, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 05-16-04 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-16-04, 10:38 PM

Actually I hear a noticeable difference on DTS then with Dolby Digital 5.1, but it all depends on your setup.
I have a Home Theater PC with Soundblaster Audigy 2 using Win DVD Pro to enable 96khz/24 Bit Decoding through the S/PDIFF output into my Harmon Kardon receiver. I then have an all B&W DM600i series setup for my 5 main speakers and running Dual SVS Cylinders (PC+ 16-46 and PC-Ultra) for my subwoofers for a 5.2 setup.
Dolby Digital still sounds great, but DTS has a slighter distinct characteristic to the music and the bass is generally a bit more cooked.
Old 05-21-04, 02:15 AM

Id never pay that much. A Ghostbusters 20th Anniversary DVD is coming out early 2005. Ill stick to that.
Old 05-23-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shroud, you are mistaken if you think windvd is "enabling 96khz/24 bit decoding through the spdif" for DTS. All it is doing is passing the raw DTS track across the spdif connection just like any other dvd player would - hardware or software. If it weren't doing that, then all you could possibly get across a single spdif connection would be stereo PCM, upsampled to 96/24. I can say this with absolute confidence because the spdif specifications do not allow for what you are implying (you can probably find them yourself with google, spdif == sony/phillips digital interface).
Old 05-23-04, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
Id never pay that much. A Ghostbusters 20th Anniversary DVD is coming out early 2005. Ill stick to that.
If it were coming out early 2005, it wouldn't be the 20th anniversary.

It's coming out this year.