Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

any versus-like movies out there?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really enjoyed Versus...it was stylish and off-beat!

any similar movies out there that i might enjoy?

any recommendations would be appreciated!
Old 05-11-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Samurai Fiction, while nothing like Versus, has a lot of style. Rocking Metal soundtrack too.
Old 05-11-04, 10:06 AM

Returner
Old 05-11-04, 10:45 AM

Battlfield Baseball was directed by the writer of Versus and stars the same guy. You might also look at Wild Zero and Junk. I suppose you could also check out Stacy, but it was atrocious.

Last edited by MonsterHunter; 05-11-04 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-11-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Princess Blade, which I actually thought was better than Versus...
Old 05-11-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Princess Blade, which I actually thought was better than Versus...
Just a contrary opinion, but I thought Princess Blade was one of the worste genre movies of it's kind. Extemely boring, very uninteresting characters, bland fights with a bland soundtrack.

If you like Versus b/c of it's style & energy, then your best bet is Azumi it's by the same director, & has the same kind of fighting style & directing flare. I don't think you would be dissapointed.
Old 05-11-04, 05:18 PM

There is no film like Versus at all out there,
so you will just have to buy the new Versus 1.5 cut and Versus 2 as well when it pops up next year, fingers crossed it not too big budgeted and spoilt by all the cash they are throwing at it.

all the films mentioned above are nothing at all in any way like Versus, at all.

VERSUS THE FILM OF LAST YEAR FOR ME!
Old 05-11-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Azumi has alot of the same tone as Versus, even a lot of the same wacky camera moves and offbeat characters. Of course Azumi is a girl samurai/ninja film not a gangster/zombie/rebirth movie.
Old 05-12-04, 11:07 AM

I recommend Ricky-Oh, its every bit as crazy as Versus.
Old 05-12-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Alternative3
I recommend Ricky-Oh, its every bit as crazy as Versus.
Sorry, but Ricky-Oh is probably one of the worst films I have ever seen, and it has some of the goriest fight scenes ever...

Sessa17, I thought Princess Blade was ok, the fight scenes are better edited than in Versus, and the story is better as well. Versus had great potential, but I think it got side tracked with all the fighting, which still is an essentail part of the story. Anyway, that is just MHO.

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 05-12-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Story of Ricky (or Riki-Oh) is an awesome flick. For its cheese factor and over the top manga-style violence alone. Add to the fact that the english dub is hilarious! The best release is the uncut R2 Hong Kong Legends release.

Last edited by flashburn; 05-12-04 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-12-04, 11:46 AM

If you want gory crazy flicks, why not try Ichi the Killer.

As for movies similiar to Versus, like has been said, it's one of a kind. Azumi is better, but a lot more polished.

If you just want the raw energy and enthusiasm of Versus, you gotta to with Evil Dead or something like that, although that one has a bit less fighting than Versus.

Princess Blade is very good but a lot more polished than Versus. It doesn't have the sheer moviemaking-joy Versus does.

Battlefield Baseball is a good call but it's not nearly as fun as Versus (I'm afraid that Yamaguchi is no Kitamura).
Old 05-12-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Riki-Oh is definitly the closest to Versus of the aforementioned.

Wild Zero in a solid second.
Old 05-12-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by flashburn
Story of Ricky (or Riki-Oh) is an awesome flick..... The best release is the uncut R2 Hong Kong Legends release.
Agreed - an amazing movie that almost defies description (and any sense of good taste!).

Haven't seen VERSUS yet, but now I'm eager to check it out.
Old 05-13-04, 05:36 AM

there are not many movies out there like versus.. Azumi is very good same director and feels alot like an anime , Also I would check out ALIVE its the same director and its kinda like cube with more action
However in terms of a Rebirth/Swordplay Ninja scroll is full of action and gore!
Hope that helps
Old 05-14-04, 02:13 PM
Cool New Member

Just another vote for Azumi. Simply loved the flick and don't really understand the occasional negative comment I encounter.
Old 05-15-04, 12:10 PM
Banned

heh .. Romero .. true to your bnb nature. but i agree, nothing i've seen combines the feel, characters, over the top zombie/samurai gore fest as versus hits.

although i don't have a dime to add to this, i would say that out of what's been mentioned (except for ricky-oh since i haven't seen it), Azumi compares for its fight choreography and sword playing feel. the bad ass, but fruity villain rocks ... other than that, it's more refined and heck, doesn't really combine guns and swords in the context of versus. besides, there ain't a walking dead man to be found. it's worth a watch, but i found versus better.

for straight up gore, check out ichi. returner i don't agree with as a recommendation. i enjoyed this film for it's intelligent attempts at dialoque and character development with interesting plot tie ins going on all over the place. but, other than for style and some camera work, it's nothing like versus. even the characters in returner were stereotypical - as was the story somewhat. i didn't find anything like that with versus.

for me, i'll take versus for what it is and look forward to it's sequel.

Last edited by Batoru rowaiaru; 05-15-04 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-15-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

there will be a sequel? when?

by the way, thanks to all that have contributed to this thread...ur comments are much appreciated!
Old 05-15-04, 04:57 PM
Banned

Here's a couple of blurbs. Although and obviously, I can't vouch for their credibility. But, I wouldn't doubt a second one is in planning considering that the first leaves a wide open slot for a sequel to fill .....

"However, fans will have to wait a little longer for an official sequel to VERSUS, although Kitamura does maintain that it is on the drawing boards. “The sequel! Ah yes, I’m working on it,” he assures. “It’s just a matter of when I make it. I will have my first U.S. movie come out next year, and then do a sequel to VERSUS for 2005 or 2006.” The good news for fans of the first film (available on Media Blasters DVD) is that Kitamura plans to have VERSUS 2 follow the adventures of the original film’s star Tak Sakaguchi (a.k.a. Prisoner KSC2-303)."

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=1940

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/ind...plate=newsfull

Don't know the rules on posting third party links, but they are unrelated specifically to DVD or sales. If moderators need to remove, please do ... thanks.
Old 05-15-04, 05:01 PM
Banned

hey slat .. btw, if that location reference has anything to do with satriani ... it was the first song that i heard by the guy, next to summer song and i was hooked every since. my friend, who's a guitarist made the connection. good stuff.
Old 05-15-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember reading an update about a month ago. It listed cast members and some other info, so Versus 2 is definitely happening.
Old 05-16-04, 08:24 AM

Well pick up the Versus Ultimate Edition its out in Japan next week and is about 25 minutes longer, it was going to be called Versus 1.5, but that would be silly

MediaBlasters have the rights and hope they get a direct port of the dvd out within a few months, and hope we dont have to wait till next year

Personally Azumi, Returner and BattleField Baseball are 3 great films in there own rights and all well worth seeing, and yes maybe bits here and there are like Versus, so cannot see a problem with picking each film up at all as I love them.
Old 05-16-04, 11:12 PM

I heard Versus was only gonna be 10 minutes longer. At least, that's what it says on the cdjapan site. I pre-ordered the thing a month ago along with Sky High. Looking forward to that one.
Old 05-16-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

batoru: yes indeed, it does in fact refer to the guitar virtuoso...the man is amazing, i've seen him live, and needless to say, his hands ARE faster than the eye...not only fast, but great melodic, structured riffs. surfing with the alien is his best album (imho), not to mention a great album cover (yeah, i'm still into vinyl!)