Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Uzak

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-04, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uzak/Distant by Nuri Bilge Ceylan

I can't believe I find this http://www.sinema.com/yazi_detay.aspx?ArticleID=1731 it comes with all the subs you can desire, alas it seems impossible to buy it, any Turk around here?
last year in Cannes Uzak won the Grand Prize of the jury and the best actor award.

Last edited by mdm67; 04-30-04 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-30-04, 08:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
der, I was thinking why does this movie sound familiar, that's because the English-language translation/film title is "Distant"

For those interested here are the recent winners and film selection for the:
AWARDS OF THE 23rd INTERNATIONAL ISTANBUL FILM FESTIVAL
INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION

It was a rare and extreme pleasure to see and hear the director of
“Bekleme Odası / The Waiting Room” just this past Monday in Washington DC at it's International Film Festival, since Zeki Demirkubuz had just literally won Best Director at the Istanbul Film Festival, this movie like "Uzak" are some of the best films that are currently coming out of Turkey at the moment and I highly recommend anyone interested in world cinema to see these. "Uzak" is currently in distribution here in the states, but I am not sure what if any distribution is slated for "The Waiting Room".
Old 04-30-04, 04:24 PM
Suspended

Turkish cinema seems to be emerging on world stage now just like Iranian cinema did in the early nineties.

Giles, good job mentioning Zeki Demirkubuz because even though Nuri Bilge Ceylan(Distant/ Clouds of May/ The town) is getting the credit for the emergence, Zeki might be the more talented, i have seen one of his prevous film called "Fate" and i loved it. I don't believe “Bekleme Odası / The Waiting Room” has a U.S distributer yet but i am looking forward to seeing it. Turkish directors are also doing great work outside Turkey like Fatih Akins's Berlin Festival Golden Bear winner "Gegen Die Wand" (Head On) and Ferzan Ozpetek's "La finestra di Fronte" (facing windows).

mdm 67, you also might want to try this site:

www.ideefixe.com

shipping info:

www.ideefixe.com/vitrin/yardim_alisveris.asp#13

Other films i also recommend are:

Yesim Ustaoglu's "Günese yolculuk" or Journey to the Sun

Yavuz Turgut's "Eskiya" or The Bandit

Serdar Akar's "Gemide" or On Board

Tayfun Pirselimoglu's "Hicbiryerde" or Innowhereland

Kazim Oz's "Fotograf" or The Photo
Old 05-01-04, 12:07 AM

french fan,
I had a tough time to fill in the required personel info. Can you explain how to do it.
Old 05-01-04, 11:53 AM
Suspended

I wish i could, Moon 33, i am lucky enough to have a friend who recently moved there and he has sent me some great stuff. This site was mentioned to me by another forum member, NMA and i believe he is turkish, my friend over there also approved the site. Hopefully NMA is still around and will read this, but Good Luck.
Old 05-01-04, 05:10 PM

The following link will take you to a store where you can browse in English and buy Uzak (+other films of this great director):

http://www.tulumba.com/icy_itemdesc...c=VI343986QV077
Old 05-01-04, 07:59 PM
Suspended

Thanks ilan, the site looks good. This helps many people here who were interested in Turkish cinema but didn't know where to look.
Old 05-03-04, 10:32 AM

I can't tell from that link if the Uzak dvd has English subs or not.
Old 05-03-04, 10:55 AM

I just confirmed with Tulumba that it does have English subs.
Old 05-03-04, 04:43 PM

Hi, I was the one who requested Tulumba to special order Uzak. I just received the DVD and the subs are Turkish, English, French, German, Dutch. The transfer looks great, btw.

Bonuses include a "Behind the scenes", an "Uzak in Cannes" featurette (which is subtitled during the actual awards ceremony), and a black and white short film Koza which I only skimmed through, but appears to be wordless.
Old 05-05-04, 02:53 AM

"Distant" has already been released and I've already indicated its ed2k links below.
But, since it's quite new we may suffer obtaining sources for a while.
Have a nice day, remain in peace and love.

uykusuz from Turkey
[email protected]

ed2k://|file|Distant.2002.DVDRip.XviD.AC3-TURKiSO.CD1.avi|731166720|343211B74171653973002DC61DE10670|/

ed2k://|file|Distant.2002.DVDRip.XviD.AC3-TURKiSO.CD2.avi|731117568|F235715F37F54CDE7DC01CC2A33C7523|/
Old 05-09-04, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by french fan

Yavuz Turgut's "Eskiya" or The Bandit
one of the best Turkish movies. anybody interested in turkish cinema should see this movie. Available in dvd with english subtitles.
Old 05-09-04, 05:34 PM
Suspended

Yes, 'Eskiya' (The Bandit) was the film which re-energized turkish cinema in it's homeland because before that mostly American big budget films were being distributed. I've read that turkish cinema in the 70's used to produce as many as 200 films a year and then was swept away by the Hollywood Blockbusters in the 80's.