Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

PAL DVDs & NTSC television / conversion etc. [merged threads]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

PAL DVDs & NTSC television / conversion etc. [merged threads]

Old 10-27-02, 07:27 PM

NTSC <--> PAL DVD player question

If this has been covered before, please direct me to the appropriate thread.

On e of the reasons that I want a DVD player that is region-free (/all-region) and can do PAL to NTSC conversion is that I'm planning to move to Australia in a year or two. I'm mainly considering the Jaton PSD 7611k. What I'm wondering now is, when I get there, will I be able to convert my NTSC Region 1 and 2 DVDs to the PAL TV I'm likely to be watching them on.

In short, are all PAL/NTSC capable DVD players able to convert both ways? If not all, which ones CAN do it? Can any of them?

Thanks!
-Brian*
Old 10-27-02, 10:05 PM
Cool New Member

most PAL tv's support the ntsc signal anyway so i don't think u have to worry much.

it's the people who are stuck in ntsc tv sets (like me) that need to worry about pal to ntsc conversion not the other way around.
Old 04-17-03, 03:58 PM

How do u guys view your PAL dvds? Got PAL -> NTSC converters?

How? I have a Pioneer S-6D DVD player that's universal, however I still can't view PAL discs... flipping screen and B&W! I've found a few "digital PAL <--> NTSC" converters on eBay but they're at least $160 and up!! Too expensive! How do you guys view your PAL dvds?

On a side note... why are there still different signals?! Why can't they freaking agree on ONE standard and put out dvds and games in ONE standard?! AND WHY DON'T WE HAVE MULTI SYSTEM TVS OVER HERE IN THE STATES?!!!
Old 04-17-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So many questions, such futile answers...

Most of us get DVD Players with built-in PAL/NTSC/SECAM transfer capability. If yours is truly a universal player - mess around in the menus, see if there's something you have to turn off/on.

As for the side note... there's no end-all be-all answer. Why do Americans still drive on the left side of the road, which they measure in miles? It's just a standard that works where it's used.

As for multi-system TVs, I believe the Advent TVs do it.
Old 04-17-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Like the previous poster said, we have DVD players that are not only region free, but do PAL/NTSC conversion also. No point in having a region free player unless you have a player that converts the signal, really. You can get a region free player that does excellent anamorphic PAL/NTSC conversion for under $100 now, there's no point in buying a standalone PAL/NTSC converter for twice that.

Another option if you have the right PC equipment is to watch the PAL DVDs on the PC. If you don't like doing that, rip the DVD and burn them onto VCDs for your own private viewing pleasure on the DVD player. (Not bootlegging for fun/profit, just talking about converting the format so he can use a product he bought)
Old 04-17-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is no use,I got a lot fo PAL dvd's but cannot watch them in Japan cause they sell all the TV's only in NTSC system.They got a few TV's in Multisystem at the duty free shops,but it's way too much expensive!

Last edited by Kumar J; 04-20-03 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-17-03, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Kumar J
There is no use,I got a lot fo PAL dvd's but cannot watch them in Japna cause they sell all the TV's only in NTSC system.They got a few TV's in Multisystem at the duty free shops,but it's way too much expensive!
You don't need a PAL tv to watch PAL discs. A multi-region/multi-format DVD player will convert the PAL signal to NTSC. You're in the same boat as everyone in North America. We have NTSC sets too. We just use DVD players that convert PAL to NTSC (CyberHome, Malata, Jaton, etc.).
Old 04-17-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

NTSC/PAL

Deja Vu.....all over again!
Old 04-18-03, 12:43 AM

Personally, I use a Cyberhome 500 DVD player that I got for around $50 after rebate. Check out the nerd-out forums for info on some multi-region DVD players. Make sure you look for one that is capable of displaying PAL Anamorphic discs correctly on a 4:3 NTSC TV- that is unless you own a TV capable of displaying anamorphic video, in which case you just need a DVD player that can convert PAL to NTSC (almost all of the region-free players can do this).

Last edited by spyzdope; 04-18-03 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-18-03, 01:39 PM

I got the Sampo DVE-612(N) for $60 and highly recommend it.. I think it works well and the picture quality is good. It can play mp3s randomly, can display jpg slideshows and thumbnails.. Can play ANY brand DVD-R +R cd-r cd-rw, etc. and of course can do the PAL anamorphic conversion..

I can't see spending $200+ on a Malta or whatever it's called.. When there is a high end DVD player that can do all above I listed as well as progressive scan, and do it well, then I'll buy it.
Old 04-18-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For $50; the Cyberhome 500 is a deal. It will play NTSC and PAL, any region, has another feature that I'm not allowed to mention, and displays anamorphic PAL discs correctly on NYSC TVs.

I mean, $50. What's to complain about?
Old 04-18-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine works just fine still.... I don't use it for Progressive Scan.. that is what my Panasonic is for, and I haven't had a problem yet (besides the progressive scan on some discs).
Old 04-18-03, 10:32 PM

Read above.. It doesn't play some anamorphic disks correctly..
Old 04-18-03, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by MadPervert
Read above.. It doesn't play some anamorphic disks correctly..
Huh? The CyberHome plays all anamorphic discs properly. Maybe you're referring to the impedence match problems that it had with some older sets, but that problem has been fixed.
Old 04-19-03, 02:00 PM

malata 520 works very well to me.
Old 01-03-04, 12:26 PM

PAL conversion question....

I've recently purchased a PIONEER DV-363 region-free player and watched my first R2 disc. I noticed the playback had a VERY slight "Max Headroom" quality about it, like it was missing occasional frames or something. Its not really terrible, but sometimes distracting now that I've noticed it. Is this a normal problem with PAL to NTSC conversions? Can anything be done to correct it?
Old 01-03-04, 02:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Carcosa.

You will see that this - or something similar - is an FAQ.

Maybe you could first peruse the "hits" given if you use the search function to look for "NTSC" or "PAL*" or "speed*" having selected "search titles only", this forum (International DVD Talk) and "any date" from among the various options.

If anyone has anything new to add that relates to the settings of your particular machine they can add it below. (Those rehearsing earlier arguments, however, will not be looked upon kindly if matters take their traditional turn).

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk

Last edited by benedict; 01-03-04 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 03:03 AM

Good PAL-NTSC conversion on interlaced tv set?

Hi,

Last week, I bought a Jaton DVD player for the purpose of playing PAL DVD titles on my NTSC television set. I'm a little disappointed by the picture quality of the Mediamatics chipset on my interlaced tv. There's a lot of "shimmering" on PAL DVD's, and a bit on NTSC titles also. I had read that the chip was better at progressive output, but still the picture on my set is a little worse than I had expected.

I'm going to return the Jaton anyway because of another problem, and I was thinking that I might go with another, non-Mediamatics based DVD player.

Are there any region-free players that have particularly good PAL-NTSC conversion (i.e. correct aspect ratio and no "shimmering") on interlaced tv sets?

I've heard that the CyberHome CH-500 does not produce shimmering, but it's known for a few other problems. I've also read good comments about the Toshiba 3900/4900, but nothing specifically regarding interlace output quality. Could this player be a good choice?

I've also read nice things about the Philips 727, but I have a Ronin P807 that is based on the same Mediatek chipset, and I see a lot of shimmering and digital artifacting, plus a slightly annoying flaw with the bottom black border not being quite straight (there's a sort of little dent in the middle) on anamorphic PAL DVD's.

Any other players I should be aware of? Right now, I'm leaning towards the Toshiba 4900 but I'd like to have comments about its interlaced output of PAL DVD's.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-04, 10:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum nadeama.

As these type of questions are asked time and again the practice here is to try to keep similar topics bunched together in "exclusive" threads and to encourage searching through and posting to these.

This helps to keep the worthwhile information in one place and to lessen repetition.

Just recently I posted some links here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=347793

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk

Last edited by benedict; 02-22-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-26-04, 05:50 AM
Banned

PAL DVD's...

I have a region free DVD player. But my TV is NTSC. Does this mean that I can not play DVD's which are outside region 1 even though my player is unlocked?

Is there any converter I can buy that will alow me to watch PAL movies? Has anyone had luck with them?

What happens if you try and play a PAL DVD on a NTSC TV?
Old 04-26-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: PAL DVD's...

Originally posted by JohnSeminal
I have a region free DVD player. But my TV is NTSC. Does this mean that I can not play DVD's which are outside region 1 even though my player is unlocked?

Is there any converter I can buy that will alow me to watch PAL movies? Has anyone had luck with them?
Many region-free DVD players can convert PAL to NTSC. Which model do you have?

There are external PAL--to-NTSC convertor boxes you can buy, but they tend to be expensive and usually aren't very good quality.

What happens if you try and play a PAL DVD on a NTSC TV?
Without converting to NTSC, you won't get a picture.
Old 04-26-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Most of us get DVD Players with built-in PAL/NTSC/SECAM transfer capability...
...erm... there are no "SECAM" DVDs (nor LDs, either)...

As for the side note... there's no end-all be-all answer. Why do Americans still drive on the left side of the road...
...huh... methinks you mean the British (and Australians, and New Zealanders, and Indians, and Indonesians, and Japanese)...???...

. . . . . .
Old 04-26-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Why do Americans still drive on the left side of the road,
If they're driving on the left side of the road, generally it means that they are drunk.
Old 04-27-04, 12:01 AM
Banned

Re: Re: PAL DVD's...

Originally posted by Josh Z
Many region-free DVD players can convert PAL to NTSC. Which model do you have?

There are external PAL--to-NTSC convertor boxes you can buy, but they tend to be expensive and usually aren't very good quality.

Without converting to NTSC, you won't get a picture.
I have a RCA RC5220P. I don't think it is supposed to be region free, but I found a website that said how to make it region free by pushing buttons on the remote, and it worked. But I don't want to spend $30 on a PAL DVD only to see it won't play.
Old 04-27-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: PAL DVD's...

Originally posted by JohnSeminal
I have a RCA RC5220P. I don't think it is supposed to be region free, but I found a website that said how to make it region free by pushing buttons on the remote, and it worked. But I don't want to spend $30 on a PAL DVD only to see it won't play.
Most likely the player won't convert PAL to NTSC. You're out of luck.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.