Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince Sign 'o The Times Import Dvd

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up the Netherlands release of Prince's 1987 concert film SIGN 'O THE TIMES. Although it is listed as an "official" release the source quality is fair at best. The dvd is obviously a copy of either a VHS tape or laserdisc though I am inclined to think it is a tape copy since there are numerous "drop-outs" throughout the dvd.

The DTS sound on the other hand is good and can be played LOUD with minimal distortion.

It would be a shame if this dvd never gets a proper release here in the States since this concert shows Prince at the top of his creative power. He is simply awesome here...
Old 04-24-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I came across this myself. I haven't been able to get all the way through it, but with what i've seen, you're assessment of "fair" is kind and generous.

The picture is bad. It's nowhere near laserdisc quality. It looks like a worn out VHS copy.

The sound was alright. I haven't listened to the entire thing with DTS, however, it sounded real weak during "Play In the Sunshine".
Old 04-24-04, 04:04 PM

I have also ordered a copy of this dvd from Brazil.

I haven't received it yet, but I'm sure it's no better than the Netherlands release...

I wonder if a domestic release is tied up in music rights?

I believe Universal Pictures released the movie theatrically.

But hey, if SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND made it to dvd (with DTS sound) I'm crossing my fingers that this will arrive someday too...
Old 04-24-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
The brazilian one is MUCH WORSE. You could've bought it at Best Buy or on eBay, if you so desired.