International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

BUFFY Season 7 Region 2 Remarks

Old 04-16-04, 10:37 AM

BUFFY Season 7 Region 2 Remarks

This is my first post so be kind...

I ran out of patience for Fox's Region 1 releases about a year ago and Season 7 arrived last week. Despite its creator's claim, I think if you have a widescreen version out there, you should release it.

I am not a big fan of this final season. There are a lot of arbitrary disagreements between its crew, and without many stand-alone episodes, the season does tread water a bit. The positive is for Spike fans--it's really his season as very few of the other characters grow much. The characters of Willow, Anya, and Dawn seem least served, and Giles is used in a really cheap way.

Hey, but it's BUFFY and the last season, so one can forgive.

As for the discs themselves, my player locked on the first episode of the last disc (excuse me for not having memorized the titles) during a romantic montage. I don't know if it's on odd layer change or a disc defect, but I was able to run past it.

As for picture quality, I still don't understand why these Buffy discs (Region 1 or 2) had such a tough time handling night scenes at times (perhaps forgiveable for Season 1 but not for recent ones). The extras (that I have had time to sample) are nice. The overview is lengthy, and a list of Joss Whedon's favorite 10 of the series are intercut with general and specific comments. Included also are a tribute by TV reviewers which is somewhat a bit much, finale screening interviews, bloopers, and a whole bunch of Region 2 ads for other sets in the BUFFY and ANGEL series. I only sampled Whedon's commentary for the finale and he covers technical and thematic issues fairly evenly. I may have missed something here, but fans should be happy.

Larf
Old 04-16-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've only watched the first episode and sampled parts of the the next 5, but based on what I've seen, it seems like they were making a more concerted effort to film for both aspect ratios this time around. The WS framing looks really good for Season 7.

And the transfers are great as usual. If you liked the way Seasons 5 and 6 looked(the Region 2 sets anyway), you won't be disappointed. This also came as a relief since I thought the Angel Season 4 DVDs looked noticably worse compared to Season 3.
Old 04-18-04, 09:50 AM

I just watched the whole series in 3 days and its absolutly amazing, the picture was not an issue it always looked great, its the damn sound! no 5.1 only 2.0 what a big pity

other than that the extras are not exactly any good, only watched all the featurettes and all are lame and crappy, not one made me want to watch them ever again, only the commentaries may be great and may give the actor commentaries a try later, still never regretted buying all 7 season so far even if it has cost me a fortune, they were worth it all and I will miss the buggers.

I never had any probs with any of the dvds, exept my last dvd was really badly scratched and is going back, the packaging still is crap at holding them dvds! looks nice, but is tighter than a ducks arse.