International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Is it really $18 to ship with Amazon.de???

Old 04-12-04, 07:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Is it really $18 to ship with Amazon.de???

I must be doing something wrong? All I am ordering is one DVD and that iswhat it came out to. I didn't see any shipping options to change to. Anyone order from them? Thanks for quick help.
Old 04-12-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ordering from Germany is very costly. This is the price we pay....
Old 04-12-04, 10:55 PM

And unfortunately, Amazon.de is painfully slow when shipping (at least in my experience).
Old 04-13-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At least Amazon.de refunds VAT (Value Added Tax), about 17%. One option is to check availability of the German edition in bordering countries, Switzerland and Belgium. You might be able to find a cheaper total price.
Old 04-13-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Doc Moonlight
At least Amazon.de refunds VAT (Value Added Tax), about 17%. One option is to check availability of the German edition in bordering countries, Switzerland and Belgium. You might be able to find a cheaper total price.
Do you know of any good Swiss or Belgium sites? I've been wanting to order from Amazon.de but have been put off by their high shipping rates, too. Thanks.
Old 04-13-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

look in the thread on the veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery top of this page. The first Swiss etailer listed is indeed impecable!!

Cheers,
Pro-b
Old 04-13-04, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Sifu
And unfortunately, Amazon.de is painfully slow when shipping (at least in my experience).
amen to that... (I agree)
Old 04-13-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
look in the thread on the veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery top of this page. The first Swiss etailer listed is indeed impecable!!

Cheers,
Pro-b

if this is the one you're suggesting...

http://www.fantastic-movies.com/

...the link isn't working for me. Anyone else?
Old 04-13-04, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by marty888

a doornail.
Old 04-13-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least Amazon.de refunds VAT (Value Added Tax), about 17%.
...erm... every e-tailer in a VAT-charging country (and that includes Australia, btw) must "refund" VAT (=subtract it from their list prices, if those include the tax) if they sell to a non-VAT country... by and large the French do it, the British do it, so do the Italians and Spanish and Dutch - in my experience...

. . . . . .
Old 04-13-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Hendrik
...erm... every e-tailer in a VAT-charging country (and that includes Australia, btw) must "refund" VAT (=subtract it from their list prices, if those include the tax) if they sell to a non-VAT country... by and large the French do it, the British do it, so do the Italians and Spanish and Dutch - in my experience...

. . . . . .
Not every etailer makes a VAT adjustment. In the U.K., Hong Kong Legends does not, for example, nor does CDWow, and a few others that I emailed to ask directly responded by saying that they do not.
Old 04-13-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... by law they should!!!... VAT is a local tax... it is exactly like someone in, say, Boston, ordering from an e-tailer in, say Los Angeles: the Bostonian would not have to pay California Sales Tax...

...when I lived in Switzerland - a country, btw, that is not a member of the European Union - I never had to pay VAT (or TVA, or MwSt) when I ordered DVDs from the Uk (or from France, or from Germany)... of course, I had to pay Swiss VAT, which, when I left, was seven-and-a-half percent of the billed amount from UK, French, or German shipments...

...the point remains: within the EU the (UK) VAT (or French TVA, or German MwSt) applies... outside the EU it does not (should not! ought not! must not!) apply... in fact, applying it is tantamount to stealing on the part of the e-tailer...

Q.E.D.

. . . . . .
Old 04-13-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by marty888

This one...a Swiss etailer....

http://www.1a-dvdshop.ch/

Pro-B
Old 04-14-04, 09:55 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
This one...a Swiss etailer....

http://www.1a-dvdshop.ch/

Pro-B
Since I can't read German... is the Last Unicorn they have there the German one? I heard the German one was far superior to the US one, so... I was just curious.
Old 04-14-04, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by rcraven
Since I can't read German... is the Last Unicorn they have there the German one? I heard the German one was far superior to the US one, so... I was just curious.
Try searching for "Das letzte Einhorn" - that's the German title for this movie.
Old 04-14-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik

...the point remains: within the EU the (UK) VAT (or French TVA, or German MwSt) applies... outside the EU it does not (should not! ought not! must not!) apply... in fact, applying it is tantamount to stealing on the part of the e-tailer...

Q.E.D.

. . . . . .
I can say from personal experience that Bensonsworld, Blackstar, Choices Direct, Tower UK and HMV do not deduct VAT when shipping to the US. There's probably a way to get it back (if you held on to your receipts and submitted them, the same way you can get reimbursed if you are an American traveling abroad and make over the counter purchases), but in my experience, the Amazons are the only EU retailers who consistently deduct deduct VAT before shipping orders. By contrast, all of the Australian vendors that I deal with (EZYDVD, Chaos, Atlantic) deduct their government taxes before shipping.
Old 04-14-04, 04:45 PM

I can say from personal experience that Bensonsworld, Blackstar, Choices Direct, Tower UK and HMV do not deduct VAT when shipping to the US.
I ordered from hmv.co.uk two weeks ago and they deducted the VAT. This was my first time ordering from them, however, so it could be a fairly recent development.
Old 04-14-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have placed about half a dozen orders with HMV UK (the most recent earlier this month) and they have ALWAYS automatically dedcted the VAT - as has Amazon uk.