DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   What's The Best Edition Of The Bruce Lee Collection? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/355907-whats-best-edition-bruce-lee-collection.html)

claus 05-26-04 03:49 AM

If anybody is interested, there is a german site with reports of cuts for lots of movies.

www.ofdb.de

its in german but it has often pictures of the cuts (schnittberichte) and has the different versions of the movie listed.

RichDB10 05-26-04 04:13 AM

Originally posted by pat00139
I'd guess if you really want Way of the Dragon, you'd have to buy the whole set again
Yes....that's what i figured after i couldn't seem to come across the individual titles being listed anywhere :(

joshd2012 05-28-04 09:14 AM

Whats the deal with this release?

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

I already have a box with all these films I imported from Hong Kong, but if these versions are better, I would be tempted. Any reviews on this set, or does anyone have it?

pat00139 05-28-04 11:13 AM

It's the EXACT SAME set. You just get a t-shirt and a canister (looks like a thermos). It's just an extra incentive to buy from HKflix. I haven't seen this anywhere else. Personally, I'd forget the shirt and thermos, I think they look hideous. Besides, Hkflix's markup is disgusting.

Geminix 05-29-04 11:27 AM

It's just an extra incentive to buy from HKflix. I haven't seen this anywhere else.
Just to clarify.. YesAsia sells this 'deluxe' edition as well, right here. And for the same price as HKflix. Is it worth an extra 20 bucks? Not to me..

mrhan 05-29-04 09:39 PM

Has FOX started to sell their versions? If you look at the pic in this link it has the same cover as the IVL versions. They look barebones but if the pic is mastered the same I will go for these; since I already have the HKL versions . Much cheaper than the IVL discs and will look great on my HDTV.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FXD021559

pat00139 05-30-04 01:35 AM

Oops, didn't know yesasia was selling the same. Sorry. Guess I should look around before say something. Anyway, I still don't think it's worth it.

As for the deepdiscountdvd Game of Death 2, can you have any more sketchy information than that? Amazon says released May 25th. I think it's part of the new batch of Fox HK movies, along with Operation Scorpio (which I'll buy), The Prodigal Son, Royal Warriors and The Young Master. As for the rest of the Bruce Lee movies, the only version Fox has released for the past 5 years is the crappy set that nobody likes. It also looks like there's no remastered editions coming out in the near future.

Get the IVL set, it's worth it and I'd rather support IVL than Fox.

LeRoy 05-30-04 04:30 AM

Game of Death II is one of those Fox releases that came out on the 25th along with Prodigal Son, Royal Warriors, and a couple others. I'm sure the quality is very good but I hear that movie sucks so I didn't bother.

RaMMaR 05-30-04 06:18 AM

... Get the IVL set, it's worth it and I'd rather support IVL than Fox.
:hump: Too true. i'm glad i held off on the Korean set, although - and i'm being nit-picky here, sorry - i do wish that IVLs Ultimate Edition set had similar packaging.
The thing is, part of me is afraid there's going to be an Extreme Edition sometime down the road... :brickwl: i can already see myself Quad-dipping on this collection.

pat00139 05-30-04 12:39 PM

:)

I've got 3 editions, the HKL, Korean and IVL sets. I don't regret anything. Believe me, there isn't going to be any extreme edition of these movie. I heard that later in the summer, some new editions will come out of these movies (The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon and Game of Death) by a company whose name I forget now (and whose name I'd never heard of before). They won't be available in a box set, but they will be available individually. They're supposed to be good (remastered, bunch of extras, things like that) but I don't know if the extras will be new or not.

As for the Fox set, unless they get a clue, they will not do anything to their existing crappy set. I doubt they'll get a clue. They're dubtitling their new HK releases, so that's never a good sign. I doubt they'll show any more respect to Bruce Lee.

mrhan 07-19-04 05:02 PM

---pulled out this old thread 'cause I found this old story in Variety. According to the article it looks like FOX will be releasing the Fortune Star set this October.

Distrib kicks up biz with Bruce

by VICKI ROTHROCK | May 10 '04

HONG KONG Nearly 31 years after his death, martial arts star Bruce Lee's feature films have received a complete audiovisual makeover and will be packaged together for the first time.

The Bruce Lee Ultimate DVD Collection will include "The Big Boss," "Fists of Fury," "Way of the Dragon," "Enter the Dragon," "Game of Death" and "Game of Death II" (aka "Power of Death").

The collection also comes with a booklet and a bonus disc of trailers, unseen footage and celebrity interviews.

The set debuted here April 29 and will be released in Taiwan the second week of May.

It's a unique package. Warner Bros. owns worldwide rights to "Enter the Dragon," with the exception of Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and parts of Southeast Asia including Malaysia and Singapore, so a complete box set can only happen in these areas, says Peter Poon, general manager of Fortune Star, the production and distrib arm of Star Group.

The Bruce Lee collection comes with a HK$498 ($63.85) pricetag. Fortune Star intends these sets to be collector's items, with the first 5,000 boxes identified with an individual serial number etched into a metal plate. Pre-sales from retailers in Hong Kong and Macau have been encouraging, with 10,000 box sets already sold.

Fortune Star plans to release a new box set every month this year in Asia, with subjects ranging from Jet Li to John Woo.

For the U.S., Fortune Star has a different strategy: It plans to release a batch of five Hong Kong movies every quarter, distributed by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. At least five of the titles released in the U.S. have been top-10 sellers for foreign DVDs.

The remastered Bruce Lee films will be released in the U.S. at the end of October.

isamu 07-19-04 05:37 PM

Originally posted by mrhan
---pulled out this old thread 'cause I found this old story in Variety. According to the article it looks like FOX will be releasing the Fortune Star set this October.

Distrib kicks up biz with Bruce

by VICKI ROTHROCK | May 10 '04

HONG KONG Nearly 31 years after his death, martial arts star Bruce Lee's feature films have received a complete audiovisual makeover and will be packaged together for the first time.

The Bruce Lee Ultimate DVD Collection will include "The Big Boss," "Fists of Fury," "Way of the Dragon," "Enter the Dragon," "Game of Death" and "Game of Death II" (aka "Power of Death").

The collection also comes with a booklet and a bonus disc of trailers, unseen footage and celebrity interviews.

The set debuted here April 29 and will be released in Taiwan the second week of May.

It's a unique package. Warner Bros. owns worldwide rights to "Enter the Dragon," with the exception of Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and parts of Southeast Asia including Malaysia and Singapore, so a complete box set can only happen in these areas, says Peter Poon, general manager of Fortune Star, the production and distrib arm of Star Group.

The Bruce Lee collection comes with a HK$498 ($63.85) pricetag. Fortune Star intends these sets to be collector's items, with the first 5,000 boxes identified with an individual serial number etched into a metal plate. Pre-sales from retailers in Hong Kong and Macau have been encouraging, with 10,000 box sets already sold.

Fortune Star plans to release a new box set every month this year in Asia, with subjects ranging from Jet Li to John Woo.

For the U.S., Fortune Star has a different strategy: It plans to release a batch of five Hong Kong movies every quarter, distributed by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. At least five of the titles released in the U.S. have been top-10 sellers for foreign DVDs.

The remastered Bruce Lee films will be released in the U.S. at the end of October.

Will this have anything on the Korean or UK sets?

peter07 07-27-04 01:42 AM

Are the Fortune Star sets uncut? I noticed that earlier editions of Bruce Lee DVDs in Korea had scenes cut.

peter07 01-09-05 08:50 PM

So uh, were these sets ever released in the US as announced?

manicsounds 01-09-05 08:54 PM

Nope.....

pat00139 01-11-05 10:08 AM

Well, the Bruce Lee movies weren't released by Fox, but Ventura distributed 2-disk sets for all but Enter the Dragon. Haven't seen any reviews, though...