International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Are all Kill Bill R2 DVD's unaltered?

Old 03-28-04, 02:40 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 102
Are all Kill Bill R2 DVD's unaltered?

I was on a few different import websites looking at the prices for Kill Bill. The problem I ran into was some of the R2 descriptions point out that the House of Blue Leaves fight is presented in full color and others dont' mention it. Just wondering if all the R2 discs have the color Blue Leaves fight or if it's only certain ones.
JBurns24 is offline  
Old 03-28-04, 05:53 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bill Geiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 12,918
As talked about in the international forum, the R2 Japan is "uncut" so to speak. The R1, and as of right now, other regions will have the black and white in one particular scene.
Bill Geiger is offline  
Old 03-28-04, 09:47 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 499
Hey this is taken from Play.. where it's on sale in a couple of weeks.

Special Features
'Making Of' featurette
5,6,7,8 perform 'Jayne Mansfield' and 'I'm Blue'
Volume 1 trailer
Volume 1 teaser trailer
Volume 2 teaser
Interactive menu
Scene access

Actors Uma Thurman ; David Carradine ; Daryl Hannah ; Michael Madsen ; Vivica A. Fox ; Sonny Chiba ; Lucy Liu ; Michael Parks ; Jun Kunimura ; Ai Maeda ; Chiaki Kuriyama ; Shun Sugata ; Gordon Liu
Director Quentin Tarantino
Certificate 18 years and over
Year 2003
Screen Widescreen 2.35:1 Anamorphic
Languages English - Dolby Digital (5.1)
Duration 1 hour and 47 minutes (approx)
bodomnet is offline  
Old 03-28-04, 03:15 PM
  #4  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 34
It's not just that scene being in color - the R2 version is also slightly longer (by about 3 minutes). My guess is it's where the bride "solicits" information from Sophie.
ABCDE is offline  
Old 03-29-04, 06:03 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 1,083
Some sites have said Tarantino has tweaked some footage in the DVD release for Kill Bill in the US like Lucas did for the SW movies.
harosa is offline  
Old 04-01-04, 01:42 PM
  #6  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 34
Can someone recommend a site where I can easily pre-order the R2 version?

Easily - ie. the site is in English, and preferably ships from North America?

Thanks.
ABCDE is offline  
Old 04-01-04, 01:59 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 4,758
Originally posted by ABCDE
Can someone recommend a site where I can easily pre-order the R2 version?

Easily - ie. the site is in English, and preferably ships from North America?

Thanks.
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/
D-Ball is offline  
Old 04-01-04, 02:26 PM
  #8  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,477
Originally posted by bodomnet
Hey this is taken from Play.. where it's on sale in a couple of weeks.

Special Features
'Making Of' featurette
5,6,7,8 perform 'Jayne Mansfield' and 'I'm Blue'
Volume 1 trailer
Volume 1 teaser trailer
Volume 2 teaser
Interactive menu
Scene access

Actors Uma Thurman ; David Carradine ; Daryl Hannah ; Michael Madsen ; Vivica A. Fox ; Sonny Chiba ; Lucy Liu ; Michael Parks ; Jun Kunimura ; Ai Maeda ; Chiaki Kuriyama ; Shun Sugata ; Gordon Liu
Director Quentin Tarantino
Certificate 18 years and over
Year 2003
Screen Widescreen 2.35:1 Anamorphic
Languages English - Dolby Digital (5.1)
Duration 1 hour and 47 minutes (approx)
this running time isn't right, the US R-rated cut is 1 hour and 51 minutes.

Quentin Tarantino prepared a more graphic version of the film for Asian audiences. Only a few minutes longer, the film includes several extra violent moments, a longer animated sequence, and the entire House Of Leaves battle in color, rather the black and white used in the U.S. R-rated edition.

No one, I repeat no one has confirmed what the Japanese running time of the DVD is I would speculate it's between 112-114 minutes. Can any reconfirm from a reliable source what the running time of the Japanese DVD is?
Giles is offline  
Old 04-01-04, 02:48 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,160
i ordered mine from DVDfromAsia..they have bth the cut and uncut

the uncut is 24 bucks and is reg 3
Deke Rivers is offline  
Old 04-01-04, 03:18 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Apirl 16 can't come soon enough.. then again since I ordered from japan who knows how long it will take to get to me.

Anyone know how early they ship out items?
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 04-01-04, 05:25 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,543
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Apirl 16 can't come soon enough.. then again since I ordered from japan who knows how long it will take to get to me.

Anyone know how early they ship out items?
Someone here in the US reported getting the Zatoichi disc shipped to them from Japan on the same day the DVD streeted in Japan. That was probably a rare case, but amazon.jp does ship before street date, so it not unreasonable to assume that most of us should get our copies in the week or so after April 16th (barring unforseen circumstances).

And just to clarify about the original poster's question, the R2 Japanese disc and R3 HK disc should have the Asian theatrical cut of the film (not sure about Korea, because I never did hear which version played there theatrically). The various R2 European discs would probably have the same cut as the US disc, because the same version played in Europe theatrically as in the US.

Last edited by cultshock; 04-01-04 at 05:27 PM.
cultshock is offline  
Old 04-02-04, 01:24 AM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,013
Thanks for the link...just got my order in
isamu is offline  
Old 04-02-04, 03:42 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: CO
Posts: 348
Originally posted by Deke Rivers
i ordered mine from DVDfromAsia..they have bth the cut and uncut

the uncut is 24 bucks and is reg 3
The price is way too high for R3 Thai versions, not to mention they do not have the dts track. Besides, who knows if it is legit...

I believe when R3 HK version is released(which should be uncut, BTW), it will have the dts track and be around the same price...
chucky7 is offline  
Old 04-02-04, 07:57 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 147
Anyone have any idea when the R3 HK release is due out?
Brett C is offline  
Old 04-02-04, 11:04 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
boc4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The edge of insanity
Posts: 2,817
Originally posted by chucky7
The price is way too high for R3 Thai versions, not to mention they do not have the dts track. Besides, who knows if it is legit...

I believe when R3 HK version is released(which should be uncut, BTW), it will have the dts track and be around the same price...
Do you have information that would lead you to believe it is a bootleg and that this e-tailer is not legit? Or are you just speculating?
boc4ever is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 07:57 AM
  #16  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 839
OK, so there is this version from Yes Asia and then there is this version from "DVDfromasia.com". This is the Thai PAL version.

I'm going to avoid PAL. Has anyone heard of a R3 Korean version yet? It would certainly be better than PAL (no speedup) and cheaper than the Japanese version.

Or of a real, non-bootleg Hong Kong release? Theyare all going to use the same Tarantino approved transfer.
Matt Stevens is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 09:33 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 624
Korea had the Asian cut of the movie, but the government cut out a second or two of footage. I'm guessing 'cause it was a bit too violent. I actually haven't seen the movie so I can't say anything beyond that.

I'd bet my DVD collection (okay, well, maybe not) and say the DVD will have the same Asian cut with a second or two missing.
pat00139 is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 10:44 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Indy, IN
Posts: 576
Wasn't 'Mibu Gishi Den (When the Last Sword is Drawn)' severely cut in the Korean cinema (for length not violence)? The Korean DVD is the same as the Japanese disc.
mrwilson is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 01:11 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 304
Do you have information that would lead you to believe it is a bootleg and that this e-tailer is not legit? Or are you just speculating?
I know you weren't asking me, but I can give you some info.

The Thai release is not a bootleg, but $25 is way overpriced. It's going to retail in Thailand for about $5 or $6. So that site is just gouging people.

Thai releases of US movies are usually NTSC and Region 3, but I don't know about this particular release. It's certainly possible that it's PAL.

The quality will almost certainly not be as good as releases from other countries.
Sifu is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 06:23 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
boc4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The edge of insanity
Posts: 2,817
Originally posted by Sifu
I know you weren't asking me, but I can give you some info.

The Thai release is not a bootleg, but $25 is way overpriced. It's going to retail in Thailand for about $5 or $6. So that site is just gouging people.

Thai releases of US movies are usually NTSC and Region 3, but I don't know about this particular release. It's certainly possible that it's PAL.

The quality will almost certainly not be as good as releases from other countries.
Thanks for the info. I just couldn't see spending the $38 plus shipping for the Japanese R2 even though the quality is going to be better. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this version will be liveable until the box set is released in the US...
boc4ever is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 06:24 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 4,758
DDDHouse has the HK version listed for $110 HKD (about $14 US) with a release date of April 8.

http://www.dddhouse.com/dddhouse/en/...productID=3675
D-Ball is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 07:57 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 378
Does anyone know whether the HK version is also uncut?
notvandnobeer is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 11:23 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,160
Originally posted by chucky7
The price is way too high for R3 Thai versions, not to mention they do not have the dts track. Besides, who knows if it is legit...

I believe when R3 HK version is released(which should be uncut, BTW), it will have the dts track and be around the same price...
it does indeed have the dts track
Deke Rivers is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 11:24 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,160
Originally posted by Sifu
I know you weren't asking me, but I can give you some info.


The quality will almost certainly not be as good as releases from other countries.
why do you say that the quality wont be as good?
Deke Rivers is offline  
Old 04-03-04, 11:25 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,543
Originally posted by notvandnobeer
Does anyone know whether the HK version is also uncut?
When it was shown in HK theatres, it was apparently the same cut as shown in Japanese theatres, so I'm guessing "yes" (but I should add that I only personally saw the Japanese theatrical cut, not the HK one, so I'm not 100% absolutely sure).
cultshock is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.