Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tale of Two Sisters... overseas version vs. ___

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read a few reviews and mentions of this film, enough to start looking online to buy it. I'm at the yesasia.com site and they have 2 versions of this film. One version states "overseas version" and the other makes no mention of any type of version. They have different cover art and different prices. Neither make note of any differences from the other so I am wondering which to buy.
Both region 3, both have Korean language, one has english and korean subtitiles, the other has english and traditional chinese subtitles(overseas edition). Yet another overseas version is in DTS. Could the languages be the only difference? (As long as I have english subtitles and can see the film as it was intended I'm a happy camper)

http://us.yesasia.com/en/SrAllDept.a...tr=two+sisters
Old 03-16-04, 08:40 PM

One is the Korean DVD (the red one with the film frame) the other (the family portrait) is the HK version. As I know it, there aren't any differences between the two versions (lengthwise).

The DTS one is the HK DVD, the other is just a VCD. The Korean version is a 2-disk set and is DTS-ES (don't know if the HK is ES). The boxes are different, the Korean DVD comes in a digipak and the HK is just a normal amaray case, I think.

Last edited by pat00139; 03-16-04 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-17-04, 12:00 AM

I guess I have the HK edition since it has the family on the front, but the soundtrack is in DTS-ES. The transfer is quite good, though not quite reference. The soundtrack is quite good and has some nice "jumps" in it.
Old 03-17-04, 07:18 AM

any comparisons between the KR and the HK ver?
Old 03-23-04, 08:49 AM

Sorry, haven't seen any comparisons and I can't find any. I'm also quite happy with the Korean version I own so I don't plan on getting the HK version.

I'll say that, on the Korean disk, the picture is just about flawless and the DTS-ES track is one of the best tracks I've ever heard. It's also a 2-disk set, while the HK is only 1 disk. Okay, so all the extras are in Korean and there aren't any subs, but it's still a 2-disk set. It would surprise me if the DTS tracks and the transfer were different.

If you haven't already bought it, then the choice is between extras or no extras. For the extra few bucks, I'd say buy the Korean version, but then again I should be in an asylum.
Old 03-23-04, 12:20 PM

According to comparisions done by people on various Asian film forums, the picture and sound quality is slightly better on the Korean release, while the HK release translates to English a note left untranslated in the Korean release (something like "I'm going out. Stay in your room and lock your door").
Old 03-24-04, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have the r3k version and didn't see any shaky picture at scene changes, clipping whites, or crushed blacks. Going by the screenshots linked here, it looks to me like the r3k version is better. Sure, the bitrate on the HK disc is more stable - but between the combing and the digital artifacts, it looks kinda crappy compared to the r3k disc. I'm not even picky though and I'd be fine with either... still - the r3k version easily wins for the packaging and extras if not just for the better image quality and DTS-ES. Is it worth the extra money? Well - for me it is... I suppose as a blind buy for someone more frugal, the HK barebones disc seems like a solid choice since the picture is pretty good
Old 03-24-04, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok - well, I don't know about flag-reading, but I have progressive scan equipment and the transfer was terriffic. I've never seen this shaky picture thing you're talking about and I have to say that out of well over 100 rk3 dvds, they pretty much all have better transfers than most of my over 500 HK DVDs and many of my R1 DVDs. But then again - I suppose my eyes suck for that sort of thing or I'm just not very bright or something.

I didn't know that about bitrate - never knew what to make of that chart... thanks.
Old 03-24-04, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have Wanee and Junah... I do have a 65" HDtv and lots of other korean dvds though.

I do notice that the korean DVDs are color sturated, but I certainly wouldn't say they are oversaturated or that the grayscale is clipped. The way I have my TV set up for movies, the colors on Korean films look perfect - maybe it's just a preference thing or maybe it's just the way I have my tv set up (but then again, I've tried it on my 27" Sony Wega and my PC monitor and in both cases I can't help but be more than satisfied with korean DVDs. I actually felt that Tale of Two Sisters was a bit more washed out than other Korean films I have - most notable are the comedies.
Old 08-19-04, 08:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
okay besides all the technical stats, what did you all think of the movie? I watched this last night and was very impressed, for the genre I have to say I didn't expect the story to have gone in the direction it went. The story struction, the camerawork, the sound design were top notch, some of the acting was a little inconsistent but on the whole I was very enraptured with this film.

A penny for your thoughts?
Old 08-19-04, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its worth noting that an R2 UK edition from Tartan has just been announced - a two disc set with DTS and what looks like the Korean extras, but with subtitles. Worth keeping an eye open for fans of this super film.
Old 08-19-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does it look like I was having a conversation with myself? Did someone delete their posts from the thread?
Old 08-19-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
Its worth noting that an R2 UK edition from Tartan has just been announced - a two disc set with DTS and what looks like the Korean extras, but with subtitles. Worth keeping an eye open for fans of this super film.
Damn, I might need to double dip on this then.
Old 08-19-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any idea when that Tartan release streets? I'd really like to see this flick, and am thinking of maybe purchasing the inexpensive HK disc now, and getting the Tartan later.
Old 08-30-04, 09:42 PM

are the following the same korean edition? the pictures are different.

http://koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=11764

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...section-videos
Old 08-30-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,359 Likes on 913 Posts
There was different packaging, color and artwork, on the Korean SE. My packaging is orange with some lighter patterns and the title in Korean and in English in small white letters underneath. So it looks different from the picture in your 1st link.

The yesasia link isn't a picture of the cover at all but of the cardboard insert which holds the piece of film (senitype???).

Edited to add

The "real" cover looks like the picture on the yesasia link but, obviously, without the piece of film. Here's the "real" cover:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...l?mv_arg=16472

Last edited by eXcentris; 08-31-04 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by minguy
are the following the same korean edition? the pictures are different.

http://koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=11764

http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?C...section-videos
Same set. The first one is using early promotional artwork that was later scrapped. The final cover art is shown at YesAsia's link.
Old 12-22-04, 06:55 PM

question

I didn't receive a film cell with my copy of the Korean two-disc set. Is this simply because the set no longer comes with a film cell anymore (i.e., only certain quantities were created), or should I contact yesasia.com about the absence of said film cell? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Old 12-23-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got mine awhile ago and it came with a cell I think... I don't know if they stopped including a cell, but it wouldn't hurt to contact yesasia. They're nice. Personally, I don't really care about film cells - I consider it a waste of a bonus feature.
Old 12-23-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought the Metro 2-disc set about two months ago, and it didn't have the film cell.
Old 12-23-04, 03:12 PM

Any announced date or plan for an R1 release?

Last edited by cine; 12-26-04 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-14-05, 06:06 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by cine
Any announced date or plan for an R1 release?
3/29...anyone know if the extras on the R1 will be subtitled just like the R2 UK?
Old 03-14-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
3/29...anyone know if the extras on the R1 will be subtitled just like the R2 UK?
Yes, they will be subbed.
Old 03-20-05, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
Yes, they will be subbed.
Good to see. My copy shipped from DVD Pacific last week. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing this.
Old 03-30-05, 10:18 PM

I'll be interested in seeing what others think of the recently released region 1 version.
I have the Korean 2-disc set. Beautiful picture and sound, but the image jumps or wriggles almost everytime there is a scene change. I've never seen anything like it on all the other dvd's I have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.