Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Ong Bak

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-04, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ong Bak

Great THAI action film!

Anyone seen this movie? I just saw it last night. I am looking to buy it on DVD. The version I saw had no subtitles, but I kind of got the gyst of the story.

The lead is AWESOME, no wires, no camera tricks and he does all his stunts himself.

Dude is bad!!

Anyone have any input??
Old 03-12-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hong Kong Legends (UK) supposedly acquired the rights for Britain, but no word on when it will be released.
Old 03-12-04, 10:45 PM

Yep, great movie.

I own the DVD as well, and I have seen a DVD version with English subtitiles (which I'm assuming is a bootleg). It was nice to actually understand what they were saying though.
Old 03-13-04, 11:38 PM

This movie rocks. I have the Thai R3 Pal DVD. It's a high quality packaged DVd with a holofoil cover and tons of extras, but no english subtitles. My only flaw with the DVD was, I couldn't take advangtage of the anamorphic widescreed cause my DVD player didn't have proper PAL --> NTSC conversion. I can't wait for some company to release Ong-Bak with English subtitles, so I could finally understand what was going on.

Anyways, am I the only person who thought that girl had the most annoying voice ever?
Old 03-14-04, 04:26 AM

Man, this reminds of a thread a while back:
Person 1: you don't need subs to understand what's going on.
Person 2: yes you do, you're an idiot.
Person 1: no you're an idiot.

Well, okay, not exactly like that buy you probably remember it if you're read it.

Anyway, it's a great movie with brutal fight scenes. It'll be interesting to see what Besson does with it.
Old 03-15-04, 05:23 PM

yeah I obviously understood what was happening..but it would still be nice to have to subs to catch anything I might of missed.

The fights were great...that guy is one bad mofo.

And yes the girl...ouch her voice was like a chicken being strangled.
Old 03-15-04, 11:36 PM

Yeah, I know. I read that some of the dialogue was really funny so it would be nice to know what's being said. I still love the movie.
Old 03-16-04, 01:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by trespoochies
BUT - Ong Bak is a very cool movie. I still would love to see it in the theater one day.
I commend your sentiments.

Let's all continue to keep this on-topic i.e. discussing the film.
Old 06-09-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thai 'Warrior' Set to Kick Up Storm at Box Office - Reuters

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ilm_warrior_dc

Thai 'Warrior' Set to Kick Up Storm at Box Office

Wed Jun 9, 4:13 AM ET

By Ian Mohr

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter)
- "But what I really liked is 'Ong-Bak: Thai Warrior,"' a New York indie executive guiltily exclaimed at an upscale private dinner for another film at the Toronto International Film Festival last fall.

As the wine flowed, lips began to loosen about what films were making an impact North of the Border.

But the honcho's eyes -- which lit up while recounting the blow-by-blow, kick-ass antics of "Warrior" star Tony Jaa in the Midnight Madness movie -- then looked away, across a dining room of rarefied guests.

"I guess we all have different tastes," he added, lamenting that his arty staff lacked any of his blood lust for the film.

"Warrior," directed by Prachya Pinkaew, follows a statue in a temple in rural Thailand that locals believe is imbued with magical powers. When it is stolen, Jaa heads to Bangkok's underground fight clubs to win it back.

Last week, New York-based Magnolia Pictures kicked up a deal to acquire "Warrior," with plans for a wide release in November.

But much like the statue Ong-Bak of the film's full title, the movie itself has taken a journey of twists and turns to U.S. screens, with a bevy of distributors duking it out to bring Jaa to American audiences.

At last September's Toronto fest, even diehards felt the movie -- though a major buzz title -- needed serious cuts.

Luc Besson (news) agreed. The French helmer's production company snapped up "Warrior" in a multiterritory deal just before the film debuted at Toronto, and Besson pulled the picture off the table, recut it and added new music for a French rollout, which has so far brought in about 1 million admissions.

"When I saw the film, I sat there slack-jawed," says Eamonn Bowles, the head of Magnolia Pictures. "I could not believe what (Jaa) was doing."

"Warrior" is special effects-free fare, unlike, say, Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," which ushered in an era of graceful, high-wire kung fu that has swiftly crept into such mainstream Hollywood blockbusters as the "Matrix" and "Charlie's Angels" franchises.

Magnolia lobbied for four months to buy the movie, ultimately beating the competition, including a major studio, by taking an alternate view of its Stateside release.

"A lot of people were primarily talking about video as the (film's) main thrust," says Bowles, who plans on using Magnolia principal Mark Cuban's connections, including his NBA ties, to promote the film. "But we see the communal energy of the screenings as really making it soar theatrically."

"Warrior" also represents Magnolia moving into bigger pictures. "We are always going to be an opportunity-based company," Bowles says. "This opportunity came with a higher price tag. But it is still a very prudent investment. We did not go out on a limb with this film."

Jaa is almost certain to be a smash with action dorks, who have been flooding chatrooms with sophomoric superlatives for "Warrior." ("This was one of the best film experiences of my life," says an Ain't It Cool News blogger. "We are talking religious here. That movie turned an entire audience into screaming primates.")

Jaa is already grabbing more mainstream fans by the throat, including helmer Brett Ratner and action icon Jet Li (news). Now if "Warrior" can only cross over and get that upscale dinner crowd going ape.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Jeremy
Old 06-09-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Besson pulled the picture off the table, recut it and added new music

Jaa is almost certain to be a smash with action dorks, who have been flooding chatrooms with sophomoric superlatives for "Warrior."
One does not have to be an "action dork" to appreciate the athleticism and physical prowess of Tony Jaa in this film.

So, one more time!

Last edited by eXcentris; 06-09-04 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-09-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is there any news about a release date from HKL/Premiere Asia? If the US release is going to be altered and an R2 release is up in the air, i may have to pick up the unsubbed version sometime soon.
Old 06-09-04, 01:28 PM

Hmm, this flick looks interesting. Ordering the DVD, but there are several 16x9 versions on eBay. Wondering which one's best.
Old 06-09-04, 05:41 PM

Yea this film ROCKED. Too bad its being cut though.

I have the uncut EDKO DVD w/o english subtitles. 16:9 & DTS, NTSC. I'm very happy with it.
Old 06-12-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if there is an English subtitle script floating around? Scriptclub.org only has it on the request list.

Jeremy
Old 06-12-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone notice this?

In Chapter 8, approximately 1:08:57 into the film, look at the concrete pillar at the left of the screen. Someone wrote:

"Hi Luc Besson

We are waiting
for you"

Interesting, huh?

Jeremy
Old 06-13-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats one of the Easter Eggs on the disc, although not an Easter Egg like we are used to, theres also a hidden shout out to Spielberg also, although they misspell his name. The shoutout to Besson makes me laugh because everyone seems to decry the changes made by him to the movie when the director and producers courted him in the first place.
Old 06-15-04, 05:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The movie definitely showed off Jaa's talents but I thought it took a while for it to get off the ground. Pretty slow beginning, guess I have been spoiled by the immediate action in movies these days.
Old 06-15-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats one of the reasons why I didnt mind when hearing about editing changes being made if they tightened the story and made it move quicker, kind of sad to hear about changes being made to the actual fights.
Old 06-19-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those people with the Region 3 DVD, has anyone noticed really bad sound effects on the last fight (with that tatooed guy). Every punch and kick sound effect was about a half second off in some parts and dead on in others. It was pretty distracting.
Old 06-19-04, 12:59 AM

Just saw this. Sad to say I didn't like it... possibly because I was expecting a movie and instead saw a stunt demo reel. The "we'll show you this stunt TWICE" thing bothered me so much that I was getting pissed by the end. I fast forwarded through the last 10 minutes. It certainly had some great stunts, but to me it still wasn't worth the hype.
Old 06-19-04, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, to me this is, and some people violently disagreed with me a few months back, a showcase for the Thai stunt and filmmaking community with more of an emphathis put on stunt and action work more than a good story. I basically called the story generic 101.
Old 06-21-04, 10:38 AM

Finally saw this flick. So-so story, plot & characters, but oh boy what stunts! This guy could be the next Jet Li if he's in the right kind of movies.
Old 06-21-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This role didnt call for it, but it'd be nice to see if he has more personality than just a frown.
Old 06-21-04, 07:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
finally! received my VCD in the mail over the weekend, now to find some time and watch this.
Old 06-22-04, 02:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by bobstevens
Just saw this. Sad to say I didn't like it... possibly because I was expecting a movie and instead saw a stunt demo reel. The "we'll show you this stunt TWICE" thing bothered me so much that I was getting pissed by the end.

or some times THREE times, it got a tad overindulgent. at times. Other than that I thought this movie was a lot of fun. Sure it was silly at times, but the fights were vicious, cringe inducing and just plain wild to witness. It's a popcorn movie, what do you expect?

Originally posted by AsianImage

And yes the girl...ouch her voice was like a chicken being strangled.
I am surprised Jaa didn't slap her
Spoiler:
at the end there,he's dead, stop screaming at him

Jaa's martial arts is unreal, it's like he has springs in his ankles and knees. I had a blast watching this movie last night

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.