International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

NYC Stores

Old 03-01-04, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Stores

Are there any stores in the New York City area that sell non-Region 1 DvDs?
Old 03-01-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just about to post this exact same thread. Creepy.

I'm going to see Alfred Molina in a play on Saturday & was wondering if anyone knows of any B & M's in the area that sell out of Region DVDs.
Old 03-01-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on what you are looking for. If it's R3 or HK DVDs, look at this thread on Chinatown DVD stores:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=chinatown

If it's R3 Korean DVDs, go to Koryo Books at 35 W 32nd St.

Kim's Video has a lot of imports but also a lot of bootlegs, so buyer beware. They are scattered throughout Manhattan. TLA video on 6th Ave and 8th St. has some imports for rental but most if not all are region-free. Entertainment Outlet (I think that's what it's called) on 6th Ave and 14th St. also has some imports but beware of boots. I got my Canadian Brotherhood of the Wolf there but to this day I can't tell if it's legit or not.

Everything else, you may as well just order online.

Jeremy

Last edited by jrutz; 03-02-04 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 11:59 PM
Banned

I've never seen a bootleg at Entertainment Warehouse. They DO have a lot of Canadian titles and *ahem* VERY VERY VERY new titles. But I've also never seen any "imports" or non-region 1 dvd's.

I'd DEFINITELY go for Kim's and if you're looking for some R3 DVD's, check out chinatown. I was actually going to go down there this weekend. You can really hit all the stores and be done in like 30-45 minutes. There's not THAT much to see.

Never been to Koryo books and I used to work right around there. Do they have American R3 movies there?
Old 03-02-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Entertainament Outlet does have bootlegs, all the way in the back to the right, they had a ton of Battle Royale 2 DVDs for 9.99 and the cover art was very bad, obvious boots. Chinatown can be done in half an hour if you have something definite to get in mind, a little longer if you want to browse. Very interested in this Koryo books also, any price quotes and movie availabilities?
Old 03-02-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Never been to Koryo books and I used to work right around there. Do they have American R3 movies there?
Yes!

Jeremy
Old 03-02-04, 12:56 PM

Hey Jeremy, how's the prices @ Koryo books? And do they also carry Korean editions aside from HK editions? Last time I went to Korea Town, they wanted $35 for No Blood No Tears, so I passed.

Also funny you brought up Kim's, I was just there this weekend, haven't been to St. Marks in a while so I checked it out, they have tons of R2 dvds, but pretty pricey.

Also if someone is looking for the eng subtitled ONG-BAK, they have it for $17, that might be a boot though.
Old 03-02-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by zerotl

Also if someone is looking for the eng subtitled ONG-BAK, they have it for $17, that might be a boot though.
This is my MAIN DVD want right now, but from all the info I've read, there is no official Eng subbed version of this, so this must be a bootleg.
Old 03-02-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never seen a bootleg at Entertainment Warehouse.
I've only been once or twice since leaving NYC 3-4 years ago... but back in the late 1990s I used to go just about daily. They got a HUGE shipment of bootleg Wicker Man video tapes once. They looked identical to the rare Media label VHS that was (at the time) fetching $40-50 on eBay. What gave it away was the slightly fuzzy look of the cover, the material it was made from, the pristine condition of the tapes, and the fact that they had about 75 copies of this rare video in each location.

I know that people were reporting that there were Criterion Salo DVD boots there a couple of years back too.

They definitely don't 'specialize' in boots, but they'll get some in every now and then (although it may honestly just be ignorance/error when they do).
Old 03-02-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zerotl
Hey Jeremy, how's the prices @ Koryo books? And do they also carry Korean editions aside from HK editions? Last time I went to Korea Town, they wanted $35 for No Blood No Tears, so I passed.

Also funny you brought up Kim's, I was just there this weekend, haven't been to St. Marks in a while so I checked it out, they have tons of R2 dvds, but pretty pricey.

There's no cheap DVD store in Koreatown. Expect to pay $30-$35 for every DVD. However, if you want that instant gratification of picking up your DVD right then and there, sometimes it's worth the price.

There's two or three shops on 32nd that sell DVDs but Koryo is the only place I'd recommend. There's a small shop close to 5th Ave but I've seen boots in there for premium prices. Koryo is also affiliated with the rental store down the street, which specializes in VHS.

For Korean DVDs, you might just want to save $10 and order online at your favorite e-tailer, if you can manage to wait for it to ship.

Jeremy
Old 03-02-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
This is my MAIN DVD want right now, but from all the info I've read, there is no official Eng subbed version of this, so this must be a bootleg.
Perfect example! Beware of Kim's!

Jeremy
Old 03-02-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Entertainemnet Outlet is mostly good for getting your hands on a new release a few weeks early sometimes as they put stuff out the minute they get it in so If you dont mind paying regular prices without discounts(like at Best Buy) then thats what theyre the best for. I also got the Brotherhood 3 disc set there also, not a boot but they do get Canadian editions sometimes, like with New Line's Infinifilm movies.
Old 03-02-04, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by harosa
Entertainemnet Outlet is mostly good for getting your hands on a new release a few weeks early sometimes as they put stuff out the minute they get it in so If you dont mind paying regular prices without discounts(like at Best Buy) then thats what theyre the best for.
wow...way to let the cat out of the bag, kid

you just said the same thing I said in my first post.
Old 03-03-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I didnt pussyfoot and try to be cute about it like you did, and I expanded on what someone asked about their Canadian Brotherhood DVD and you claim you never saw imports or boots there, I say theyre there and others were saying so also so I was agreeing with them. As for early releasing of new movies, its not like theyre the only ones that do it, I can name 5 stores offhand that do it and some that do it before them. Stop being so full of yourself.
Old 03-03-04, 09:58 AM
Banned

Well, I didnt pussyfoot and try to be cute about it like you did, and I expanded on what someone asked about their Canadian Brotherhood DVD and you claim you never saw imports or boots there, I say theyre there and others were saying so also so I was agreeing with them. As for early releasing of new movies, its not like theyre the only ones that do it, I can name 5 stores offhand that do it and some that do it before them. Stop being so full of yourself.
Well...since you're not quite aware of how things work, why don't I tell you.

You know these stores that break street date? These stores that you can name off the top of your head? If certain people go around giving their names on internet boards frequented by the companies that produce the DVD's, then guess what happens to your favorite stores that break street date? THEY CLOSE...or they don't get their movies early any more. So my attempt to be "cute" about what they do was to try and keep their anonymity.

So I may be full of myself but at least I'm SMART enough not to name places that sell bootlegs and break street date.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 03-03-04 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-03-04, 10:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
looks like I am gonna have a fun time DVD shopping next week in New York (if the Georgetown Hoya's get into the NCAA Big East Conference games).
Old 03-03-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I may be full of myself but at least I'm SMART enough not to name places that sell bootlegs and break street date.
Please, can we all get along?

And NYC is full of little mom-and-pop stores that break the street date for DVDs. Hell, some even display them in the front window for everyone to see. It's no secret, and if some studio exec would have seen this on these boards there's not a hell of a lot they could do about it.

Distributors send out these DVDs so they are in store by the street date. I don't think Sony will go through the trouble of tracking down the distributor for "Mom and Pa's DVD Depot" on Xth St. and Yst Ave. and then pressure the distributor to not send them the DVDs in time. It just doesn't work that way. If stores were so worried about that, we wouldn't have seen FYE selling Ed Wood a couple weeks back, or that Wal-Mart was selling City of God.

harosa, thanks for the info on the Brotherhood DVD. Your comments are always welcome.

Jeremy
Old 03-03-04, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jrutz
Please, can we all get along?

harosa, thanks for the info on the Brotherhood DVD. Your comments are always welcome.

Jeremy
Wow...

Even stuff like
Stop being so full of yourself.
and
Well, I didnt pussyfoot and try to be cute about it like you did,
?

Cool. I'll make sure I'm a smartass too. Since comments like those are always (in bold, no less) welcome.

Old 03-03-04, 03:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Cool. I'll make sure I'm a smartass too. Since comments like those are always (in bold, no less) welcome.
Honestly dude, you were the first one to cross into "being an ass" territory with this:

wow...way to let the cat out of the bag, kid

you just said the same thing I said in my first post.
Quite condescending, which is probably where the "Stop being so full of yourself" comment is coming from.

As for the original poster, personally I just get all of my non-R1's on-line because it'll otherwise come at a premium here in NYC. You'll also have a better selection on-line as well - I got tired of buying HK dvds in Chinatown since the stuff I want always seemed to be out of stock.
Old 03-04-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

jrudtz, greydt, thanks.
Old 03-04-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

jrudtz, greydt, thanks.
That's jrutz to you...

Jeremy
Old 03-04-04, 05:10 PM