International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Trouble Every Day?

Old 02-21-04, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble Every Day?

Does anyone know if the French film "Trouble Every Day" will be released in the US any time soon?

Also, is the Hong Kong version cut or censored in any way?

Thanks
Old 02-21-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

No plans as of yet for a R1 release. No need for one as the Hong Kong version is encoded 0 hence you could play it on your R1 player.

The HK version is uncut......and quite good.

If I may....here's my review which I hope you could find of some assistance:
http://www.nicheflix.com/reviews/troubleeveryday.html

cheers,
Pro-B
Old 02-21-04, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I read your review and it confirms that I really need to pick this title up.

Question. You mentioned that the British PAL disc had other extras that the HK one didn't? Could you elaborate? I checked UK Amazon.com's website and there was no list of extras on the British disc.
Old 02-21-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, that is the question of the day is it not ?

The British disc was supposed to include the same commentary the French disc has with Claire Denis. I do own the British disc and though the commentary is advertised on the cover it is not there. So, my reference to the R2 versions (French and British) should be considered only in terms of the Fremch disc having the supreme extras. They are not subbed though so unless you speak French you should be OK with the HK disc. The British disc still has some production note and trailers as opposed to the 100% bare bones HK disc....but really if you need an NTSC copy of the film you should aim for it. Hope this clears everything out (and trust me this was not the only issue we had to investigate with this disc....but that is a completely different story). .
Old 02-21-04, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
....but really if you need an NTSC copy of the film you should aim for it. Hope this clears everything out (and trust me this was not the only issue we had to investigate with this disc....but that is a completely different story). .

Thanks again.

And if you want to discuss the other issues you talk about above, you have at least one reader who is all ears....
Old 02-22-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Dear Litza:

The "other issues" I touched upon in my previous post had to do with whether or not this disc was a PAL to NTSC port. The picture has a very strong image quality and your typical "ghosting" at least to me is not visible. I was never able to conclude 100% whether or not this disc is film sourced or a PAL port. I think that it is not.

I had some rather interesting discussion with Mark from Nicheflix regarding this issue. Here's why- my brother owns the French disc, I have the British disc, and Nicheflix asked me to review the HK disc. They all seem absolutely great but I had some suspicion about the HK disc (it was more of a thought fueled by the fact that this is the only NTSC copy I was aware of this film AND from the past experience I have had with Korean discs where French films were direct PAL /NTSC ports of the existing Pal version: examples- Dobermann, Blanche).

I even went to the music studio to test the soundtrack of the film as often I can detect if a speed-up is apparent on the “port” version by simply listening (I have a near perfect pitch ear). With the HK verison was really hard to tell. ALL 3 version sound with no difference to me…maybe a slight difference in resonance with the HK version but I could not determine if this was enough to conclude that this was a port. Perhaps there was some pitch correction, I don’t know but until someone runs this through an AVI and gives a definitive word what’s the source of this disc I will have to say that- this is a NTSC film sourced version on par with the quality of the existing R2 versions.

So….these are a few of the issues I was talking about.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-22-04 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 01:48 PM

Thanks again for all the work. I ordered it from Yes Asia last night.
Old 02-24-04, 03:10 PM

Check the movie running time.
If it's the same as PAL version, it's ported from PAL source.
PAL running time is supposed to be 4% shorter than the actual film running time.
Old 02-24-04, 03:47 PM

The running times aren't the same. 97m for the UK disc and 101 for the HK disc. These are not the times listed on the cover but what I found them to be.
Old 02-24-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by mrwilson
The running times aren't the same. 97m for the UK disc and 101 for the HK disc. These are not the times listed on the cover but what I found them to be.
Jojo-

I think that Mrwilson's comment is very clear, thus my total confusion. I suspected that this disc is a port, though all evidence indicate the opposite:

EVEN with the 4% speed-up and the difference in running time I COULD NOT detect a pitch difference when I ran the DVD through the sound simulator at the studio. If the running time is different then when you run the soundtrack you should be able to detect the difference in it (pitch-wise). I could not!
This is a very precise method at least in my opinion.

Furthermore, this is a 99.9% percent of an indicator for me whether the disc has been film-sourced or "ported". As Mark suggested there might have been some pitch adjustment....I really dont know. I accept the facts as they are however (since Iinvested WAY too much time in this issue ).

With this said the HK3 verison has a very good video quality!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-24-04 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-24-04, 04:13 PM

I think the PAL disc was pitch corrected. A good sign. They should do this to all PAL DVDs.
Old 02-25-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you sure the HK disc is uncut? I saw the film theatrically in HK, and it was DEFINITELY cut. I saw the film about 2 years ago in the US, so I have a point of comparison
Old 02-25-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

huh?.....what part is cut?....I watched it so I could write a review....even the part in the basement was there where V. G "ate" her. So what part is missing?

I would like someone to show me exactly what is missing from the DVD release!!

Dont know anything about the theatrical release.....esp.....the HK one.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-25-04 at 06:02 PM.