International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Malata DVP-558

Old 02-19-04, 09:52 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malata DVP-558

I just got a Malata DVP-558 to replace a quirky 520. I hope I made the right choice. I haven't hooked it up yet, as this is my first foray into the region-free thing, my luck has been pretty bad.

The 520 was all scrambly and jumpy on Region 2 Discs. I've since noticed in forums like this one that there seems to be something wrong with every player out there, according to someone. Well, here goes...

It also seems that this 558 is replacing the 520. With less features. No x/y scaling etc..anyone out there have a 558? And if so, what do u think of it...come on, someone besides must have one!
Old 02-19-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hope you didn't get it from HKFlix. If there is a problem, they might tell you it is your TV that is the problem. Good luck. I actually liked the 558!
Old 02-19-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone know where can i get a replacement remote for the 520?
Old 02-20-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This will no doubt cause some people massive distress, but why do people settle for $200 region-free players when you can get excellent rf players for less than $100? I am speaking from ignorance, but to me, unless one is willing to spend $500 for a top-of-the-line player...I don't know, it seems to me the quality difference between a great $80 player and a great $300 player is negligible. BTW, I have a Sony Wega 36 in. connected to my Toshiba sd-3900 with monster component cables. It does excellent pal --> ntsc. I wouldn't mind upgrading, but not unless there is an appreciable increase in quality, so if anyone has some recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-04, 03:35 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for responding. I like it too so far, and no I did not get it from HK Flik, but thanks for the tip!

I would have gotten a cheap player if I had known about them. I bought a Malata 520 on a HIGH recomendation from a friend whos opinion I trust very much. It was a dud, and I bought it at a store where I could only get store credit. They are, of course, now out of he 520 and seem to only have the new 558 in stock.

I waited about two weeks and just decided to get it. It was actually cheaper than the 520 so I had about $100 store credit! Yea! Shopping spree! So it seems to work well so far...(knock on wood)...oh and speaking of wood...I now also have "ED WOOD" on DVD!!! Today was a good day.