International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Vampire Effect

Old 02-18-04, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vampire Effect

I just saw this on TV and I was wondering if this is available as a region 1 or 0 DVD. Thanks.
Old 02-18-04, 11:59 PM

Stay away from the R1 DVD, it's butchered. Get the cheaper HK disc instead. You can find it at dddhouse.com or www.layoyo.com.

The original title is Twins Effect, btw.

Here's a direct link to the DVD. It's a good dvd and super cheap: http://www.layoyo.com/cgi-bin/ncomme...251&LANGUAGE=1
Old 02-19-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Prancetron2000
Stay away from the R1 DVD, it's butchered. Get the cheaper HK disc instead.
What's butchered in the R1?
Old 02-19-04, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Twins Effect was on TV?? Anyway, yeah - the HK DVD is really nice. Twins Effect 2 comes out soon I think.
Old 02-19-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
]... Twins Effect 2 comes out soon I think.
Is this going to be the film debut of Jackie Chan's son, Chan Cho-Ming (sp?), or has he done others?
Old 02-19-04, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by DVDude!
What's butchered in the R1?
Fights are shortened, scenes are cut, and some other bad scenes are put back in for some reason.
Old 02-19-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fights are shortened, scenes are cut, and some other bad scenes are put back in for some reason.
I didn't think the R1 release ("Vampire Effect") was due out until the end of March. How do you know how much will be cut?
Old 02-19-04, 07:26 PM

i heard it's been played on TV in the US already. assuming that is how they know. someone told me that some deleted scenes are re-inserted. i have the hong kong disc. great disc, however, there's a layer change problem and it's problematic on alot of dvd players.

i'd suggest the korean version by Paramount.
Old 02-19-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the double-disc / Limited Edition / HK set. Great , light-hearted flick with some good fight scene's.
Old 02-19-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tinlunlau
i heard it's been played on TV in the US already. assuming that is how they know. someone told me that some deleted scenes are re-inserted.
I'm not sure if I'd assume that the DVD would be the same as a version shown on US television. I'd be interested in hearing if the TV version was dubbed or subbed.
Old 02-20-04, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Peep
I'm not sure if I'd assume that the DVD would be the same as a version shown on US television. I'd be interested in hearing if the TV version was dubbed or subbed.
well, i'm even more unsure about that myself because i'm all the way in Canada. i doubt i'll be picking this american version. hong kong dvd's enough for me.
Old 02-20-04, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Peep
I didn't think the R1 release ("Vampire Effect") was due out until the end of March. How do you know how much will be cut?
It's already been shown on the Action Channel, and supposedly that version is identical to the DVD version. The running time of the r1 DVD is 88 minutes, while the HK version is 107 minutes long.
Old 02-21-04, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's already been shown on the Action Channel, and supposedly that version is identical to the DVD version. The running time of the r1 DVD is 88 minutes, while the HK version is 107 minutes long.
Ouch! Still curious if the r1 will be subbed or dubbed.
Old 02-22-04, 11:14 AM

Probly dubbed. It's a Hong Kong movie and it's Columbia Tristar. I'd be surprised if it's subbed.

Something hilarious: the Sony website says the VHS is 'Cantonese with English Dub'. What the hell is that?
Old 02-22-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by pat00139

Something hilarious: the Sony website says the VHS is 'Cantonese with English Dub'. What the hell is that?
I don't know.... maybe they talk with a "funny" accent?
Old 02-23-04, 02:58 PM

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 02-23-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Caught a small bit of this on the Action channel last night. Yes, it is dubbed. Caught it at the tail end and didn't watch it too long to see what had been cut.
Old 03-07-04, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by tinlunlau
i heard it's been played on TV in the US already. assuming that is how they know. someone told me that some deleted scenes are re-inserted. i have the hong kong disc. great disc, however, there's a layer change problem and it's problematic on alot of dvd players.

i'd suggest the korean version by Paramount.
Ok, I've read this thread and am still confused with regards to versions and cuts.

I received the Korean/Paramount version. According to the package, it is rated "12" and is 145 minutes long. I assume that includes the extras, b/c the IMDB says there is a 107-minute version (uncut) and a cut 90-something minute version. But that the cut version is rated R.

I just can't reconcile the rating with the movie length. Is the longer version really suitable for 12-year-olds, and the shorter one restricted to 17 and older (i.e., "R-Rated")? It's especially confusing, because the cut/edited version adds scenes.

So, is my Korean DVD edited to achieve a "12" rating? Does it have the re-inserted scenes (that, by what I read, were better left on the cutting room floor)?

Not that I'm expecting the end-all of movies here, but I don't want to watch a butchered version.

Old 03-07-04, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by pat00139
Probly dubbed. It's a Hong Kong movie and it's Columbia Tristar. I'd be surprised if it's subbed.
Why? CT usually includes the original language on the DVD releases of HK films. Someone at another forum mentioned that the DVD would have both dub & sub.

I would also like to know if this is the cut version or not. Seems like it would be tough to cut 20 minutes out of a film and still include the original language track.

divemaster - No, the original cut has nothing that would be truly inappropriate for 12 year olds. Some fighting, bloodless mild killing, and bared fangs, that's about it. They're probably the ideal audience, actually.
Old 03-07-04, 08:24 PM

A year ago I wouldn't have said that comment, but recently CTS has been very bad with their HK movies. After that they slowly started becoming like Miramax and ordered Medallion to be cut and their HK movies came in English w/o a subbed version. The Sony website says the movie is 88 minutes long, so it's cut. If s cut by 20 minutes, then it's probably dubbed. It also doesn't mention anything about subtitles or Cantonese.

divemaster, the MPAA is being silly. It's vampires and it's not a comedy (well, it is, but CTS probably cut out all the funny bits and left the action) so it's R. Some Korean DVDs include the extras in their running time. The movie is about 107 minutes long and the extras go on for another half-hour or so. The Korean ratings board is more sensible for the ratings. Anybody could watch this movie. No sex, no bad language, no cruel violence. It's a summer movie so the MPAA really should have rated it PG-13.
Old 03-09-04, 10:12 PM

The Columbia DVD has a Cantonese track, as well as an English dubbed track. The disc has English, French, and Spanish subs. The movie is 88 minutes long...and it was really disappointing.