Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

So, I bought a Pioneer 363......

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

So, I bought a Pioneer 363......

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure you file a complaint with paypal before notifying your cc, otherwise your paypal account could be terminated.
Old 02-19-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I paid with a direct withdraw from my bank account.
Old 02-19-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I decided to give HKFlix' headquarters a heads up and explain my story. Here is what I wrote.

To whom it may concern,

Last week I won an ebay auction for a dvd player that HKFlix.com was auctioning. The player arrived on Tuesday of this week. At first, I was very happy with it seeing as it arrived safely and looked good.

However, when I played a few dvds, the player did not play as it should. I paid over $190.00 for a dvd player that cannot do what the auction stated it would do.

I have been in contact with Jeff in Customer Support and he has been helpful but is unwilling to give me a refund for the player.

I would be willing to even take a different dvd player in exchange for mine (of equal value of course).

For the past two days, it seems as if I have been given the run around. I have all correspondence in my possession if needed.

This is really my last resort until I make a report to both ebay.com and paypal.com. I am hoping it does not come to that. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
William Geiger
Old 02-19-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One only hopes you don't get the same apathy from them you got from "Jeff".
Old 02-19-04, 06:35 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow....this is just crazy. I can't wait to see how this works out.
Old 02-19-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad I could provide the entertainment Fox...but I get what you mean.
Old 02-19-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still no word back...but I wrote another email.

Let me ask you something. Am I screwed here or what? I mean, am I stuck with this problem regarding both PAL & NTSC (R1) discs? I know you asked me to make a list and what not but honestly, I can't help but feel like I am getting the run around. I pointed out a problem and in my opinion, the problem should have been handled but you (your company) by taking the player back.

Put yourself in my shoes for a second Jeff. I am a just a regular guy looking for a dvd player that will play PAL and NTSC disc correctly. Wouldn't you be a little ticked off to find out a player you purchased is doing these things? Wouldn't you do the same as me and request what I requested?

I took HKflix to be a reputable and customer friendly company. I am not saying it is not, but honestly, customer friendly to me is, the customer is always right and make the customer happy in any way possible. I am not asking for the moon, just a proper working player.

It may sound old fashioned (customer is always right), but it really is the truth.

Be upfront with me, please.

Sincerely,
Bill Geiger
Old 02-19-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suspect an ass-kissing email will be coming in reply... I predict a recapitulation of all that was already stated by their customer service representative. Have you gotten anything back from them yet?
Old 02-19-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup...more nonsense!

Hi Bill,

You need to help me help you. If I can get Pioneer to say the player is defective, then there shouldn’t be a problem. That’s why I wanted you to make a list of problematic NTSC discs. The problem is that you say the player is defective, and we could swap it out and send you a new one. But I’m 99.9% sure that you’ll have the same issues with that other player. Like I said, PAL conversion is a tricky thing. Mediamatics machines like the JVC are widely regarded to be the best at it, but chances are you’ll STILL have problems, simply because you’re outputting in interlace. So you can understand what I mean, I’m forwarding you the Mediamatics FAQ. The ESS chipset in the Pioneer also performs better in progressive. So you could say the problem is with your TV, not with the player.
Old 02-19-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My response:

If that is the case, how is it I COULD play in both interlaced and progressive (I did have an HDTV at one point) with my Cyberhome. You mentioned before that you were surprised I had a good experience with Cyberhome. I did, expect for the red push. The progressive scan issue was corrected for me by them. After that, no problems, except as I said, the red push.

You want a list? I can produce a very large list for you. But even if I do that and Pioneer comes back and says, we'll, must be the discs, then I am screwed again, correct? I feel like I am wasting time because no matter what I say, I am contradicted and told it could be another issue. My TV is a sony 27 inch TV that has never ever given me a problem even when the Cyberhome was played on that.

And just to save time, my equipment is top notch, as are my cords.

Bill
Old 02-19-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is absolute bullshit! I cannot beleive how HKFlix, and more importantly, 'Jeff', is handling this situation. They want a list so they can prove to Pioneer that it is defective? That is a joke! I have never even heard of a company handling a situation like this before so badly.

If I were you, I would file a complaint with Paypal. I would not be surprised that even after you return the unit, they claim that Pioneer says that the unit was not defective. And on that note...how can Pioneer even try to say if it is defective or not, since it has been modified.
Old 02-19-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
......So you could say the problem is with your TV, not with the player.

I seriously think he is just getting off on this at this point. He has to be. Nobody can seriously spout this shit and mean it.

Seriously, email HKFlix again (not Jeff) and send them the link to this thread. Let them see how many of us are already planning on not buying from them ever again just because of the treatment you are getting from Jeff/Them. It is absolutely ridiculous that they are trying to make you jump through these hoops like this.

This treatment is only second IMO to the crappy treatment from Another Universe with the whole My So-Called Life DVD debacle.

How hard is it to just say. Ok, we will send you out another one, or exchange it with a different machine. They obviously have no desire in keeping customers.

WTF....WTF!
Old 02-19-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly my feelings.

I hope none of you have to experience this nonsense. I would rather deal with Best Buy CSR's than have to deal with this.

By the way, it seems all emails go to him. So much for that.

Looks like Paypal and Ebay are gonna get a list of everything and the bullshit I have had to deal with. But honestly, who's to say anything good will come of it?

Basically, I just want my money back (they can keep the $5.00 insurance) and I'll buy somewhere else.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 02-19-04 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sent this just a few minutes ago.

I wanted to let you know that if we cannot come to an agreement, I will be filing a report with paypal. According to their Buyer Protecting policy I have that right. Below is that information. I personally don't want that to happen as I would like to not get Paypal involved as it could effect both of us in even using Paypal. But if that is what it is going to take to resolve this, then so be it.

All I ask is that you take my player back and give me a refund minus the insurance I paid. I will even pay for shipping of my player back to you.

Sincerely,
Bill Geiger

Buyer Protection Policy:

The item delivered by the seller is 'significantly not-as-described' in the item listing. An item is 'significantly not-as-described' if the seller clearly misrepresented the details of the item in a way that affects its value or usability. Please note that this does not include cases where you are merely disappointed with the item or where the item did not meet your expectations. Reasons that an item may be considered 'significantly not-as-described' include, but are not limited to, the following:

The item is a completely different item than that which was presented by the seller in the listing, e.g. an audio book instead of a printed book, a desktop computer instead of a laptop, a picture of an item instead of the actual item; or an empty box;

The condition of the item is significantly different. For example, if the item has clearly been used multiple times rather than 'almost new' or 'still in box' or is obviously repackaged rather than 'mint';

The item is unusable and was not disclosed as such. For example, if there are missing major parts or components, will not function or turn on, or spoiled or past a relevant date. (NOTE: this applies to the item in its received state, no matter what the condition when it was shipped.);

The item is not authentic and was not disclosed as such. For example, if a fake or knock-off item that was advertised as authentic or a completely different or inferior brand of a similar product; or

The item is missing a major portion or quantity. For example, if the buyer ordered 4 dozen golf balls but only received 1 dozen or 4 golf balls or the item is missing a primary component, like a blender missing a top or coffee maker missing the bottom plate.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 02-19-04 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I was just totally blown off!

Bill,

Please make that detailed list of problems that you are having with NTSC disks. I will do everything I can to get it repaired for you. Please be very specific. More specific it is, the more leverage I will have.

The Cyberhome doesn’t use ESS or Mediamatics like our players. It uses a proprietary chipset that is equally compatible with interlace and progressive. The conversion itself is pretty good, but it is slightly horizontally distorted and has problems with overscan which is why we don’t sell it.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 02-19-04 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My response:

It appears we are going in circles...at least to me it does. Considering you totally blew off any questions that I asked you previously on how would you feel if this happened to you and that the "customer is always right" & the fact that you seem to think that the PAL issue is normal for this player, I have no choice but to file a claim.

I understand your position. You are doing what is told of you to do. However, I have to agree with someone who stated that, and I quote " I cannot beleive how HKFlix, and more importantly, 'Jeff', is handling this situation. They want a list so they can prove to Pioneer that it is defective? That is a joke! I have never even heard of a company handling a situation like this before so badly."

Let me tell you Jeff, HKFlix is not real high on people's list right now I can tell you. It might be a small amount, yes, but the fact still remains they (myself included) feel the way this is being handled is not right. Plain and simple, the player doesn't work right. End of story.

Sincerely,
Bill Geiger
Old 02-19-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Their reply:

Bill,

Sounds like you’re unwilling to work with me here. I’m trying to help you get to the bottom of this. If I were in your shoes, I’d be patient and work with the salesperson so we can get to the bottom of this.

So let’s just take a step back and start figuring out what is going on with those NTSC discs. It’d be a shame if we had to get into a big Paypal fight and leave negative feedback, etc. I understand you’re not happy, but please realize that the bottom line is that we did not misrepresent the product and if it is defective, it will be repaired.

I think, and I’m sure Paypal will agree that your case falls under the following category:

Please note that this does not include cases where you are merely disappointed with the item or where the item did not meet your expectations.

I have to follow our return policies. However, if there is something else I could do to make you happy, such as discounted DVDs, or even a DVD player at our cost, I would not hesitate to do that.
Old 02-19-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My reply:

I am willing to work with you. As far as negative feedback, believe it or not I left POSITIVE feedback. I appreciate the jesture to offer me DVDS or a player at your cost. If you don't mind, could you please let me know what you cost actually is for a JVC 602 or Malata 588?

Worst case, I'll sell the Pioneer and make it up on the purchase of a new player if I choose to do that.

Please understand my frustration. I appreciate your patience.

I do plan on viewing at least 50 dvds tonight to see what results I get. I will let you know.

If you would, get back to me on my question regarding your cost. Thanks.

Bill
Old 02-19-04, 10:32 PM

Just to add something here. Part of the reason you may be running in circles is the pal hangup. It's my understanding that you are experiencing the same problems with both PAL and NTSC, regardless of conversion issues. If the flicker problem is only sporadic and not repeatable (in this sense a list of discs that exhibited problems would be useless given the random nature of the video fault) then it is clear that the hardware is at fault (the analouge video section or the power supply would be my guess). If you have the player hooked up to a line conditioner or surge filter, try without it. I've seen rare cases where a line conditioner can cause synch like errors, but nothing as egregious as what you describe.
Old 02-19-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I'll try that Furious.

I did get a reply from HKflix on a price they would give me on a JVC or Malata and they are REALLY great prices.

I am thinking about just selling the Pioneer and getting one of those players.

It is a nice jesture by them.
Old 02-19-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes. I wonder how nice they would be if the new player arrives and you have trouble with it?
Old 02-20-04, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sent this to them as they requested.

Well, I tested 12 NTSC R1 Discs and all 12 of those had issues be it only during the first minutes or a couple times during the movie. I did not watch the entire movie mind you but the issues were there. I chose a couple different films. I will say, during dark scenes is where the most of the issues are at. Of course, as you know, many movies have several dark scenes.

The list of movies are I tested and had problems:

I did not watch the entire movie, I did skimmed through the films however and spotted problems. Below are where or round about times they occured.

Equliibrium
-Several times during the first 1:30
- 20 minute mark

Stoned Age
-The entire first minute

Star Wars Episode 1
-Beginning of the dvd menu
-During the THX promo
-Several times during the first two minutes

Lord of The Rings - Fellowship of the Ring
-Beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring DVD menu
-No picture, stayed black the entire first minute

Joy Ride
-First 45 seconds

Toy Story
-Beginning of the movie (maybe first 30-40 seconds)

Count Of Monte Cristo
-Opening of the dvd menu
-Beginning minutes

Reign Of Fire
-Beginning of the DVD menu
-Went off and on atleast 25 times or more during the first 2 minutes
-Went off between the 10:15 to 10:25 mark of the film.

Remember the Titans
-throughout the beginning previews
-during the THX intro
-First 20 seconds of the film

Teaching Mrs. Tingle
-Picture flashed off and on for the first 15-20 seconds

Wonderland (worked better tonight than the other day but a couple minor issues)
-Entire intro leading to the dvd menu
-first 10 seconds
-several times during the first 20 minutes of the film (happened on Tuesday)

Bicenntennial Man
-Previews before the dvd menu
-First 45 seconds of the film.

Now, the PAL discs that had a problem were:

Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion R4
10 Things I Hate About You R4
Enemy Of The State R2
Armageddon R4
Pretty Woman Director's Cut: Special Edition R4
Ransom: Special Edition R4

I was able to play foreign R2 NTSC and R3 NTSC discs of Ronin Ultimate Edition and Taxi 2 on Tuesday. Did not try again since they played fine previously.

I am sure there is an issue with the hardware somewhere. There is no way that this should be happening at all.

I will say, when there isn't any interference, the picture looks fantastic!

These DVDS I mentioned (region 1) played without a problem on my Region1 Panasonic RP62. I have never had an issue with it. These dvds have been played in both Interlaced and Progressive at one time or another. I am running all films now in Interlaced with a S-Video plug on a 27" Sony Trinitron TV that is about 3 years old.
Old 02-20-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yikes! I can't wait to see how they react to that!
Old 02-20-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bill, I can understand how frustrated you must be. Seriously though, you shouldn't be the one doing this testing. It is a waste of your time.

Also, I really don't understand how they can go back to Pioneer on this if they are opening up the DVD player and modifying it. How can they even think of going back to Pioneer and claiming it is is defective? Or am I missing something here?

Also, unless they are willing to exchange the Pioneer for the JVC I wouldn't buy it from them. Maybe if the price is low enough that you know the aren't making any money (or better yet, losing money) on the deal. If the player is not defective and it is a problem with their modding of it, then I wouldn't trust the JVC either.
Old 02-20-04, 10:54 AM

Bill,

You should probably begin filing a complaint with Paypal to grease the wheels a bit. It's obvious HKflix are making you jump through hoops to waste your time. They'll try to avoid taking the player back because they'll have to eat the cost. They modified the player and voided the manufacturer's warranty, so there's no going back to Pioneer. The least HKflix can do is stand behind their work and accept the loss as part of doing business.

For what it's worth, I had some exchanges with HKflix last year, and it's crystal clear that they are nearly clueless about the hardware they are selling. They even responded to some of my semi-technical questions by regurgitating information from a FAQ that I wrote!

Needless to say, they never saw any of my money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.