Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Infernal Affairs III is now up for pre-order.

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Didn't see a thread on it...

$14.49 @ Yesasia.com

Release Date. 2/12/04

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/
Old 02-01-04, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Great... I haven't even watched 2 yet... It'll go on my next order. I saw a preview for it, looks like Andy is back...
Spoiler:
isn't he dead or something?
Old 02-01-04, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
btw - if you preorder the special edition you get this cup for free.
Old 02-01-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Great... I haven't even watched 2 yet... It'll go on my next order. I saw a preview for it, looks like Andy is back...
Spoiler:
isn't he dead or something?

Spoiler:
I think you're referring to Tony Leung's character Yan. I guess it also depends which ending you watched too. My understanding is IA III will take place in the present time and through flashbacks.
Old 02-01-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by candyrocket786
Spoiler:
I think you're referring to Tony Leung's character Yan. I guess it also depends which ending you watched too. My understanding is IA III will take place in the present time and through flashbacks.
Spoiler:
watched both endings... forgot which dude died and which guy was good/bad... *smiley face* It's been awhile since I saw it. Looks like Tony is back in IA3 too, so either ending you watch, it's kinda conflicting if it's supposed to happen after the events in part 1... isn't it? Guess i should watch it again.
Old 02-01-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Spoiler:
watched both endings... forgot which dude died and which guy was good/bad... *smiley face* It's been awhile since I saw it. Looks like Tony is back in IA3 too, so either ending you watch, it's kinda conflicting if it's supposed to happen after the events in part 1... isn't it? Guess i should watch it again.
Still haven't seen the 2nd ending, yet everyone tells me its on my dvd(2-disc, DTS ed). In the end, a friend had to spoil it for me.

Spoiler:
According, to imdb, the film takes place 10 months after Yan's death. I'm guessing Tony's scenes come into play with the flashbacks.
Old 02-01-04, 11:54 PM

Hopefully, the DVDs will be region 0 even though it's advertised as region 3, like IA 2.
Old 02-02-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

rocket, I almost felt the same way sice I couldn't find the second ending. maybe you, like me and probably many others, after setting up the volume and the subs. go straigt to the film without going back to the main menu. if you were to do that, on the play you get to pick the theatrical cut or the other cut (can't remember the term used). is not a bonus feature or anything like that at least on the version I have (blue cover with the slip cover). hope this helped a bit.

Angel
Old 02-02-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's in scene select. Go to the end and you'll see the scenes labeled for original ending and alternative ending.

Jeremy
Old 02-02-04, 04:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
very cool news! I caught both parts 1 and 2 at last month's Palm Springs International Film Fest... can't wait to see part 3.
Old 02-02-04, 07:10 PM

BuddhaWake,
The r3k of INFERNAL AFFAIRS offers the option to choose the ending you want when the disc loads up (Korea Theatrical - which is the same as Hong Kong theatrical, or the Mainland China ending). Actually, depending on which ending you choose, you get entirely different start menus. It's a nice touch. Oh, and you can switch to either ending from the root menus too.

BTW the Korean release of INFERNAL AFFAIRS is better than the ubiquitous r3hk because its transfer is properly flagged for 3:2 pulldown. The Hong Kong release isn't, and it gave me major headaches on my progressive setup, because to compensate for the bad flags my player would pulsate/strobe the backgrounds whenever horizontal movement occured in the film, which unfortunately was quite often! It became simply unwatchable.

r3k also comes with a filmstrip and a video extra of the two stars in South Korea for a photoshoot. If you haven't bought the film yet, this is the one to buy.

I saw INFERNAL AFFAIRS III at the Palm Springs International Film Festival last month and it was... interesting. I liked it, but...

Spoiler:
... there is an unnecessarily long expansion of the relationship between Yan [Tony Leung] and his psychiatrist that slows the film down to a virtual crawl and seems tacked on almost as an afterthought to give Tony Leung more screentime. It nearly killed the film for me since the mood here was more MY SASSY GIRL (complete with intertitles!!) than a crime thriller - very incongruent. The more fascinating parts of the film lay with the character of Lau [Andy Lau], who struggles madly with his demons. Pacing is pretty bad.. the film jumps inadvertently back and forth between the past and present as it tries to flesh out what transpired just before IA1, but this seems to bring up more questions than answers - in this respect it is perhaps even worse than IA2. I was pretty shocked at how it all ended though - of course, you could see it coming a mile away if you paid attention to the film's themes, but I didn't think the filmmakers had the guts to go through with it. Kudos to them for doing so.

I look forward to owning it on DVD.
Old 02-02-04, 10:04 PM

this is awesome news!!! i have the first two in special editions and will most likely pick up the special edition of IA3. the box is awesome!

Kat
Old 02-10-04, 01:11 AM

great! will be buying the regular 2 disc set in anticipation to buy the box set. now if only i can get the rest of the trilogy autographed by at least, one cast member on each disc, then, i'm satisfied. (my copy of part 1 is signed by Kelly Chen)

:P
Old 02-13-04, 03:46 PM

So, any word on whether this R3 is really an R0?
Old 02-15-04, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by jscout
So, any word on whether this R3 is really an R0?

word!

i also notice a slight audio delay and some noise distortion in some scenes (only when certain people speak).
Old 02-15-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Infernal Affairs III dvd (2 disc) is Region 0, even if the cover says it is Region 3. I am not too sure of the special collector's edition one (the ones that comes with a mug etc.)

It is also true that there is a slight delay in the dialogues in some scenes, whether DTS or Dolby 5.1. Annoying at first but as I said, it's not persistent throughout the whole film.
Old 02-15-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tinlunlau
word!

i also notice a slight audio delay and some noise distortion in some scenes (only when certain people speak).
That makes it sound like they maybe dubbed the voices with another actors. Can someone confirm this?
Old 02-15-04, 11:29 PM

Yes, it has been confirmed... there are some dubbing of voices with another actors... simply because most people in HK speaks crappy Mandarin, and Cantonese, the language spoken in HK, is only a dialect spoken in the Canton Province in Mainland China.

In IF3, when a HK actor has to speak Madarin (like in Hero), or a Mainlander actor has to speak Cantonese (like in IF2), the voices are dubbed with another actors.

Other than that, there is a scene where the camara is out of focus...
Old 02-17-04, 01:30 AM

actually, it didnt' feel dubbed at all. even Chapman To was speaking Mandarin although, horribly.

Eric Tsang had a major scene spoken in mandarin but he speaks really good mandarin and some of his family live in Taiwan.
Old 02-21-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

will there be a trilogy boxset contain 1,2 and 3 of IF?
Old 02-21-04, 10:54 PM

i heard there will be a box set. i had a feeling Megastar was holding out on the extras because the special edition VCD from Mainland China even contained more extras than the hong kong dvd. of course, u can always hold out for the korean r3 version of this on DVD.

i asked some hong kong people on tower3a.com and they're telling me that there was no out of sync problem when it played in theatres which Megastar claims to be the main problem.
Old 02-23-04, 11:21 AM

Looks like a decent review - there's a review here:

Infernal affairs III

A trilogy boxset would definitely be sweet
Old 02-25-04, 10:13 AM

Just got mine from CD-Wow last night. The first thing I noticed was that mine wasn't shrink wrapped and both disks were floaties. Does the lack of shrink wrapping sound right? I had read other retailer descriptions about including a collectable Octopus card, so I'm wondering if it was "removed." Not that I can use an Octopus card where I am, but just wondering.

I popped in the movie and selected DTS and there was a slight problem with the dialog sync. This had nothing to do with any Mandarin dubbing. It's the opening scene in Cantonese. The DD track seems to be fine though. I've seen this before with other DTS movies. Anyway, I didn't continue with the movie, I'll wait until the weekend.

Also, I just noticed a price increase for many CD-Wow titles, including IA III and what superbits they have left, so I guess I'm lucky I ordered it last week.
Old 02-25-04, 02:39 PM

hahaa! they opened your dvd and took the octopus card cover away?! hahaha! you got gipped, man. my copy had the shrink wrap and octopus card holder included. you can use the card holder with ur other cards. fits perfectly
Old 02-25-04, 03:29 PM

I thought so. Bastards! Gonna e-mail those mofos.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.