Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I get the Evangelion Renewal set?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 04:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know where I can get the Neon Genesis Evangelion Renewal box set from Japan? I tried Amazon Japan, and while they have individual sellers who are selling it new/used, they won't ship to the U.S.A. Does anyone know of any retailer that has it for sale or any place that has individual sellers who will ship to the U.S.? I know the thing doesn't have English subtitles, that doesn't matter.
Old 01-29-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.amotokyo.com had 2 copies available last time I looked, which was about 2 months ago. Otherwise I don't know. The thing came out nearly a year ago at this point and it was OOP by release day. If you find it, be prepared to pay a lot.
Old 01-29-04, 05:22 PM
Banned by request

Thanks, I ordered it. We'll see what happens!
Old 02-17-04, 06:59 PM
Banned by request

Just an update, after I ordered it from amotokyo, we sent several emails back and forth verifying my credit card info. After that, they told me they only had a used copy, but they'd charge $20 less for it, which I accepted. They shipped it promptly and it arrived today. This thing is gorgeous. I'm really glad I got it. Thanks for all the help, fnordboy.
Old 02-17-04, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Just an update, after I ordered it from amotokyo, we sent several emails back and forth verifying my credit card info. After that, they told me they only had a used copy, but they'd charge $20 less for it, which I accepted. They shipped it promptly and it arrived today. This thing is gorgeous. I'm really glad I got it. Thanks for all the help, fnordboy.
No problem.

Of course I am jealous since I never bought it, but I will just hold out hope that there will be an R1 release with packaging atleast half as beautiful as the R2 is.
Old 02-17-04, 07:27 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by fnordboy
No problem.

Of course I am jealous since I never bought it, but I will just hold out hope that there will be an R1 release with packaging atleast half as beautiful as the R2 is.
I remember ADV saying that they will not be releasing any new versions of Evangelion after these two director's cut discs for a while, due to market saturation. But hey, the two might sell completely off the charts and then they'll do it. Who knows.
Old 02-18-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
I remember ADV saying that they will not be releasing any new versions of Evangelion after these two director's cut discs for a while, due to market saturation.
Yeah, but they said the same thing about not releasing any more Evangelion due to market saturation before these Director's Cut discs. Then they licensed and released them anyway. I don't really put much stock in anything ADV says these days.
Old 02-18-04, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
I don't really put much stock in anything ADV says these days.
Exactly.

I doubt we will see something this year, hell they have enough on their plate as it is and too many things they have sat on too long. I would think next year or possibly Q4 of this year they will announce it for release in 2005.

As nice as the packaging is I will just be happy with a jitter free clean picture.
Old 02-18-04, 05:17 PM
Banned by request

Well, if they do release a remastered set in R1, I'll pick it up just for the English subtitles, but will still keep the renewal set. Right now I'm printing out the translated scripts to every episode so I can use them instead of subtitles.
Old 02-26-04, 03:46 PM

Just since I dodn't think it has been brought up on this site at all, the Evangelion Renewal was picked up for Region 3 (Korea) release through Daewon. Of course there is no news yet on if English subs will be included in the eventual release, but I am hoping.
Old 04-03-04, 02:51 AM

Wow, that looks really good. I wish I had some screencaps of the R1 release to compare to. What about the series? Any chance you can make screen caps of the episodes?
Old 04-03-04, 04:46 AM

The picture quality of the remaster is amazing. Just looking at those screen caps is making me want to rewatch the series. I'm glad I didn't get the ADV boxset. Now if only the remastered DVDs will come out in R1 soon. Or maybe I'll pick up the R3 boxset.
Old 04-23-04, 09:37 PM

I remember ADV saying that they will not be releasing any new versions of Evangelion after these two director's cut discs for a while, due to market saturation. But hey, the two might sell completely off the charts and then they'll do it. Who knows.
From AICN:

Diamond Comic's Previews (an unofficial source for release information) solicitations for the July time frame, "Neon Genesis Evangelion Renewal Vol 1 DVD" which was replaced with "Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum 01 DVD" ADV's official site responded with the statement: "It has come to our attention that there is some inaccurate information floating around about an upcoming Neon Genesis Evangelion release from ADV Films. Please stay tuned for an official statement about future releases for this title."

ADV later announced a July 17th release for the first volume of Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum Edition.

Each episode of the enormously influential Evangelion television series has been officially revised and digitally remastered for this new release by original creators GAINAX to create beautiful, vibrant video and crisp, sparkling new English and Japanese 5.1 surround sound audio, creating the ultimate Evangelion DVD experience.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum: 01 is the first release of seven DVD volumes, which over the course of 26 episodes will include new cast and crew commentary, four bonus Directors' Cut episodes and seven animatics (moving storyboards). Each volume also includes a limited edition collector's slipcover in an exclusive metallic finish, limited to the first pressings only.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Platinum: 01 ($29.98 SRP) is a DVD-only release, featuring the first five episodes in both English 5.1- and Japanese 5.1- language versions with English subtitles. Extras include: clean opening and closing animation; Episode: 01 commentary by director Matt Greenfield; Episode: 02 commentary by Matt Greenfield and Spike Spencer ("Shinji"); and ADV previews. The first pressing will include limited edition collector's slipcover packaging and profile booklets filled with screen shoots, Japanese commentaries and character profiles.

That was quicker than I expected.
Old 04-23-04, 10:33 PM

Damn I meant to post this the other night. I too am surprised it came out so quickly, and pissed that it wasn't announced before the Directors Cut episodes released last month

Anyway, I am interested to see how they make it look as good as the R2s. They are putting 5 episodes on the disc with Eng 5.1, Jap 5.1, and 2 commentary tracks. The R2 had only 3 episodes and Jap 2.0 and 5.1 tracks. I don't think they will pull the same bitrate. Hopefully the quality won't lack too much.

Here are some screen comparisons between the Test Type DVD released prior to the Renewal as a sample and the ADV original release: http://www.chaostatic.net/anime/misc/eva.html

If ADV can pull it off this will definitely be THE release to get, no cool R2 packaging though '

ADV's Press Release
Old 04-24-04, 03:05 AM

Yeah, the lower bitrate is disappointing. Is there any more news on the R3 Renewal release?
Old 04-24-04, 03:12 AM
Banned by request

Here's another interesting thing. They say the commentary is with director Matt Greenfield, but Alison Keith directed the original English-voice production of the series. Does this mean they've redone the English soundtrack? If they have, say goodbye to Tristan and hello to whoever they got to do a bad imitation of him.

The only reason I sold the last two DVDs from the old R1 Eva set is because the new director's cuts had the original episodes with the original English voice cast on them, otherwise I would have kept the old ones. I'll pick these new ones up, but I'm not selling my Japanese Renewal set and for the time being won't even be selling my old R1 Eva discs.
Old 04-24-04, 03:41 AM

The dub is horrible anyway. That's a lot of eva you got there. Maybe I should just wait for the HD-DVD or Blu-ray or whatever release of the series. So many versions right now to choose from.
Old 04-24-04, 03:47 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by beefjerky
The dub is horrible anyway. That's a lot of eva you got there. Maybe I should just wait for the HD-DVD or Blu-ray or whatever release of the series. So many versions right now to choose from.
I disagree, I think the original dub is up there with the dub on Cowboy Bebop.
Old 04-24-04, 03:53 AM

Oh man, the dub for Bebop was horrible too. It just grates at my nerves. The acting is wooden and any emotion conveyed is non-existant or laughable.
Old 04-24-04, 04:14 AM
Banned by request

Oh man, the dub for Bebop was horrible too. It just grates at my nerves. The acting is wooden and any emotion conveyed is non-existant or laughable.
Well, it's clear we're of two minds on the subject. I think we should probably just agree to disagree and let it stay at that. Suffice it to say that there is an interest in keeping the original English dub for Eva, as opposed to another one with only some of the same voice actors, and other voice actors who are now a lot older than they were the last time they did it. Even if you don't like the first dub, I doubt this new one will make it any better.

And, for me, I have the whole thing in Japanese already. I've got the Japanese Renewal set. So if I'm going to rebuy them in R1, I want to know I'm getting my money's worth, and that includes the original English dub.
Old 04-24-04, 08:07 AM

You just described every dub.

I don't watch dubs at all so I can give one crap about the dub and the commentary tracks. I just wish we could get the japanese extras. That is what I want.
Old 04-24-04, 08:08 AM

Yeah, the lower bitrate is disappointing. Is there any more news on the R3 Renewal release?
That is what I am waiting for. If the R3 will be subbed than I will have to really think about which one I will be gettng (R1 or R3). I fear it won't be subbed though Hopefully I am wrong.
Old 04-24-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh man, the dub for Bebop was horrible too.
I disagree, I think the original dub is up there with the dub on Evangelion.
Old 04-24-04, 02:39 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Dan Average
I disagree, I think the original dub is up there with the dub on Evangelion.

How's that for a circular argument?
Old 05-08-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually watched a bit of vol. 1 of the Japanese Renewal set a few weeks ago and maybe I'm crazy but it doesn't really look like they actually eliminated the jitter -- they got rid of the ugly splice marks at the top of the frame but there still seems to be some jitter at the beginning of shots. Everything else, however -- color, sharpness, etc. -- looked leaps and bounds ahead of what I'd seen before, but again, I only saw a bit of the first disc so don't take this as an actual review or anything.

From the guy at AsianDVDGuide:

Also quality of animation is much worse in episode 16 then earlier eps.
You mean the animation quality dropped off later in the series? I never noticed this before. Thank god we have the Renewal set so we can finally see little details like this.

Shame about the EE, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.