Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

DVD Hacking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Hacking.

I quoted this person in the Hot Deals forum the other day, but figured I'll get more help here, heres what I posted:

Originally posted by Pistol Pete

Toshiba SD4900 for $90 at BestBuy and apply this hack. I haven't tried hacking mine yet, but it looks promising.

It will also play DVD-Audio, VCD, SVCD, MP3, JPEGs, etc and is a name-brand, progressive scan player. Full front panel controls too.
I'm thinking about doing that, but with my Emerson DVD/VCR dual deck. Couple of questions..

- Is this safe? Can it hurt the DVD player? I doubt it, but just wondering.
- My DVD player supports DVD Audio/DVD+RW/DVD+R/DVD-RW/DVD-R/Audio CD/CD-RW/CD-R/CD MP-3 playback, will this hack still work?

I read the site, but I'm not sure on these two questions. Thanks.
Old 01-29-04, 09:31 AM

Hacks are model-specific, so this hack won't work on your Emerson player. (The Toshiba SD4900 hack is a relatively big deal because it's a popular player for which no permanent hack was known to exist yet.) DVDRHelp.com has a database of hacks, so one might exist for your player.

They're generally safe (most are just a "secret code" inputted from the remote control) but will obviously void your warranty.
Old 01-29-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think the hack that is being used actually overwrites the firmware of the DVD player. I have this player and it is a very nice deal if you go with the Toshiba make sure you follow the instructions to enable the SVCD playback as well. I have used 3 different brands of DVD-R and one type of DVD+r and they have played in the Toshiba so far.
Old 01-29-04, 06:11 PM
Banned

That's alright. I have 2 DVD players, but wanted to find a hack for the current player I have. When I buy a 3rd one for the living room, I'll pick that one up and apply the hack. Thanks guys.