Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Problem with Lip Synch in foreign dvd's

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-04, 05:45 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone encountered problems with lip synchronization in foreign purchased dvd's? I have three foreign imports and only the most recently purchased one has given me a problem.

The dvd is "TESS" by director Roman Polanski. It is a Korean import and a fairly good quality wide screen print. BUT I noticed the voices are out of synch with the picture by about a second. Is this commong with imports or is this a flawed disk? Any information appreciated.
The dealer was www.vid.co.kr

Old 01-05-04, 07:44 PM

Hi Xlegion....I get that prob from time to time on my sony dvd player on random disks ( I must admit I mainly have region 2 disks ). I read somewhere that its problem that both the manufacturers of the players and the disks blame eachother for and in either case theres not much we humble buyers can do about it lol. I usually hit the stop button and when i restart the sync prob has gone.
Old 01-05-04, 09:28 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the reply NH_Lionheart. I will try the "Stop" button solution and see if it helps. I guess I will keep the disk anyway. Who knows if it is random as you say it may work fine on a future machine.
Old 01-06-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is sometimes caused by the original shoot. For example, Jacques Demy's LOLA (1961) was shot without a sound team because of money restrictions, so everything was dubbed in studio after the principal photography was done. This sometimes gives a "delay" effect to the sync. The movie is like this : the DVD keeps this (minor) defect in.
Old 01-06-04, 03:16 PM
Cool New Member

Hello Pressplay: No that doesn't sound quite right. No logical reason for that. I had the movie before on vhs and it was perfect and of course at the theatre it was fine. Must be some other reason.

Quite surprised this has not come up before on this discussion board.

Old 01-06-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have never had a problem like that with any of my non-region 1 discs and I have a fair number in my collection. Seems to me like it is either a problem with the disc or maybe an "incompatability" with your player. Have you tried it on any other players?
Old 01-06-04, 03:49 PM
Cool New Member

Have not tried it on another player yet but I will be able to this weekend. Anxious to see what will happen.
Old 01-12-04, 05:54 PM
Cool New Member

I tried the disk "TESS" on another dvd machine this last weekend. Same thing I'm afraid. Sound synch is out by a full second from what is going on on the screen. Does anyone out there have the disk "TESS" without this problem?