Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

RCE info?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RCE info?

Where can RCE info be found? As in, which discs have this issue. Preferably reliable RCE info.

I'd do a search here, but 4 letter limit....
Old 12-05-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... since you're located in "Mpls, MN" you shouldn't bother about, or be bothered by RCE, since it "works" only for, or rather against, people outside R1 (i.e. R2, R3, etc.)...

. . . . . .
Old 12-05-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I should perhaps point out that I know about the local page. I'm wondering if there is a way to figure these discs out besides "my new DVD doesn't work in my regionfree player, must be RCE."
Old 12-05-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
...well... since you're located in "Mpls, MN" you shouldn't bother about, or be bothered by RCE, since it "works" only for, or rather against, people outside R1 (i.e. R2, R3, etc.)...

. . . . . .
Um, 2/3 of my players are region free, and probably all my future players will be as well. The issue is that RCE stops R0 players from playing discs with this encoding.
Old 12-05-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...RCE stops R0 players from playing discs with this encoding."

...that would be surprising indeed... but - if you say so...

...a suggestion, then: why not get R2, R3 or R4 copies of those R1 discs that affect 2/3 of your players (afaik there aren't all that many RCE-encoded discs around)...?...

. . . . . .
Old 12-06-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Spiky
Um, 2/3 of my players are region free, and probably all my future players will be as well. The issue is that RCE stops R0 players from playing discs with this encoding.
RCE only stops players that have been set to Region 0 (i.e. specifically set to Region 0), or any of the other regions other than Region 1, from working with the disk. It doesn't mean that R1 RCE disks will not play on all multi-region players. A player being multi-region and a player being Region 0 are two different things.

You can try manually setting the region to Region 1 on your player or you can play a non-RCE R1 disk first and then play the RCE R1 disk. There are many other workarounds for RCE titles. RCE just isn't an issue anymore.

There used to be a really good RCE list here but it seems to have been taken down.

Last edited by Squirrel God; 12-06-03 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-08-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. I haven't run into any problems, yet, just trying to understand all this.

Hendrik,
That's exactly why I'm asking the questions. I need to know what is what so I can make an informed purchase.

Squirrel God,
I always read that players with auto-switching will have problems with RCE. So far that is both of my players, although the one disc I have that is supposedly RCE encoded plays just fine. That would be Thomas & the Magic Railroad. Thanks for your comments, that 2nd workaround is probably all I need anyway. And it's probably why the disc has worked.