Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Trip to Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey etcl! No problem

Well, usually the cheapest places to get electronics is in the Mongkok area. HOWEVER, I never buy anything from there. Why? Because you never know what kind of product you are getting - one without warranty, one which the warranty only works in a few places, defective items that you cannot return, etc. I always find Mongkok to be a shady place (especially at night), so I'd avoid that even if you can find good discounts there.

It's much better to go to a reputable store, like Broadway Electronics or Fortress. There's a ton of both stores in HK, but a good place will be in Times Square in Causeway Bay, where there's a whole floor of electronic stuff there. They usually have good return policies and warranties, and you can ask them if the warranty covers overseas (eg. the US). I personally just bought by Home Theatre Set from Broadway (a regionless DVD player with DVD Audio support - the Panasonic SC-DT310), and I've been very happy with it
Old 01-12-04, 12:27 AM

Location: on my couch watching dvds of course .. where else ???
thanks for your help.. than i may just pay a bit more for peace of mind

anyway ..actually i am looking for the Creative Zen Xtra mp3 player...... hoping to get it there in HK as it is still only Zen NX in my place of residence
Old 01-12-04, 01:04 AM

Hmmm...actually, it doesn't look like the Zen Xtra is out in Asia either. Where do you live?
Old 01-12-04, 01:45 AM

haha.. the "Home" of creative....Singapore

we are still stuck at Zen NX.. werid right...
Old 01-12-04, 10:21 AM

Sorry...but looks like is SOL, just like Singapore, for the Zen Xtra... You could try looking for it in Mongkok then, since it is a product that doesn't "officially" have distribution in HK.
Old 01-12-04, 04:44 PM

etcl,
Since you're from Singapore (SG), why not go to Kuala Lumpur (K.L.) to take advantage of the exchange rate?
There is one shopping center that only sells electronics gear, in the Bukit Bintang area. I can't remember the name though..

In Nov 2003, I visited K.L. and SG for 2 days each, and thoroughly enjoyed both places! I need to go back soon....
But I had a hard time finding DVDs of Singaporean movies (which I am a fan of) to buy while in SG....

And SG is the only place I have found the canned Calamasi drink, which I love! Wish I could get it here in Toronto, Canada.
Mind sending me some cases full? :-)
Kitchai Limon Bing rules!

J.T.

Last edited by jtkv; 01-12-04 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 07:43 PM

singaporean movies ? we only have a couple of them... but i think the quality of the dvd would be quite questionable

what is the movie that you were looking for ?

glad to know you enjoyed your stay here.....
Old 01-13-04, 09:02 AM

Singaporean movies

Actually, there's quite a few SG movies...

The latest movie out is Home Run, and the DVD is now available.

Singaporean movie DVDs I have:
I Not Stupid
12 Stories
Chicken Rice War
One Leg Kicking
Eating Air
Money No Enough
Mee Pok Man
Liang PoPo The Movie
Forever Fever
can't remember the others...

Most are letterbox, but quite watchable.

I'd like to get The Tree (only available VCD), but it's seems to be OOP.

J.T.

Last edited by jtkv; 01-14-04 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 07:50 PM

woah... you reallya big fan

i can help you take a look if i manage to see The Tree vcd if you like.......
Old 01-14-04, 11:30 PM

etcl,
I would really appreciate it if you can help out.
Don't go out of your way, but if you do see The Tree, new or used, please buy it for me and I will buy it off you!

Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks
J.T.
Old 02-18-04, 09:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just got back from my vacation last week. It’s hard to get back to the real world once you had a 7 weeks vacation.

I stayed in Hong Kong for 2 days instead of the planned 5 days. I basically hanged around the Wan Chai and Causeway Bay area. I had done all my DVD shopping at Causeway Bay, especially in Wide Sight and HMV. Wide Sight does have a pretty comprehensive Shaw Brother and Cathay releases and their prices are the cheapest for these DVDs. I bought about 15 from them. They even throw me a free Shaw Brother 2004 calendar.

As a lot of people know, HMV is had a wide selection from around the world but the price is not very attractive. I went there just to get the Faye Wong book. There are a lot of them when I was there. Maybe the sale is not as good as I was led to believe.

The other DVDs I bought are “Man Suddenly in Black” and “Jules et Jim.” from an unknown store. I had watched “Man Suddenly in Black” and like it a lot. I am a little disappointed that it doesn’t get more nominations for the HK Film Awards. However, the packaging of MSiB is very clumsy because the 2 disks are stored in 2 separate amary case and the cases are stored in a cardboard box. This is one of the most redundant packaging since the 3 disks version of “Three”.

Finally, I also bought some books at bookstores and the Hong Kong Film archive. All of them regarding HK film & tv histories, plus a dual language dictionary.

I spent the rest of my vacation in Malaysia. The CD/DVD selections there are very poor, except for bootlegs. Everybody I know there bought bootlegs nowadays. I want to buy the posthumous Anita Mui’s compilation CDs but can’t see it in any record stores. Bootleggers are really hitting hard on the legitimate sellers.
Old 02-18-04, 10:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Grimfarrow

I didn't see Running On Karma. In fact, I haven't seen a Hong Kong film since Fruit Chan's "Public Toilet" (which is AMAZING).

Grimfarrow: can you tell me a little more (without giving too much away) about 'Public Toilet' I am considering adding this to my queue of titles I plan on buying next week from DDDHouse.
Old 02-18-04, 02:47 PM

Hey I've also been trying to find "The Tree", but indeed it is OOP everywhere. I'd rather have a DVD but there doesn't seem to be one, so I'd settle with a VCD (long as it has English subs).