Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dogville first review

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Dogville first review

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how else would they ship it?
International surface mail comes immediately to mind.
Old 11-30-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I doubt that, in the twenty-first century, there is such a thing as "International surface mail" for such small items as DVDs... fyi: within Europe ALL mail, including small parcels, is generally sent airmail (and has been, I should add, for the past twenty-odd years)... it would be totally absurd to send a small parcel from Europe to the USA (or, for instance, from Hong Kong, or Japan, or Brazil, or Australia to the USA, or to Europe) by "International surface mail"... in fact, I doubt if even within the North American continent such small items would actually be sent via "International surface mail" from, say, Canada to the USA... but I could be wrong, as I often am...

. . . . . .
Old 11-30-03, 05:00 PM

Yes, my total at Laserdisken was 204 dkr. I assume the 199 dkr price of the DVD includes the VAT, which is then deducted when the order is totaled. If I remember correctly, shipping was 45 dkr, which is around $8.00 US.

And, yes, Hendrik, International Surface Mail is what I was referring to. I've had packages sent from several countries via International Surface Mail.
Old 11-30-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All my DVDs from the UK get sent via "international surface mail." I've ordered a few discs from continental Europe and Japan as well but I don't remember how they were shipped.
Old 12-01-03, 04:12 AM

got my copy with this morning mail, it looks great!!

My Collection
Old 12-01-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by thawtz
Can those of you in the US post your final prices for the shipped dvd? Particularly if you're in California. I'm interested in knowing about VAT and shipping charges so I can compare to the amazon.fr price of $35. Can pre-orders from there be cancelled?

Also, why isn't Denmark subject to the burned subs rule like the other countries mentioned?
Mine is coming to Virginia (sorry), but it shipped Wednesday, charged $33 and change US. Thanks again for the help on this one pro-bassoonist, I was content with getting the French LE, but the arguments persuaded me. I bow to your influence.
Old 12-01-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bjackson
...And, yes, Hendrik, International Surface Mail is what I was referring to. I've had packages sent from several countries via International Surface Mail.
...yup...!... no doubt you're right...!... DVDs from the UK are shipped by the QE II (afaik, the ONLY liner that still plies the ocean between the UK and the USA - during the summer months only; in winter it turns into a cruise ship, again afaik)... so a DVD ordered and sent from, say, Denmark, or Germany, or France, or Spain, is first sent by "International surface mail" (i.e. by train) to the UK, where it is then loaded onto the QE II and "shipped" to the USA, where it is unloaded and sent on by "Surface mail" to, say, San Francisco, or Dallas, TX...

...COME ON GUYS...!... THINK...!...

...incidentally, afaik there are NO ships (by which, of course, I mean passenger liners or mailboats!) plying the oceans between Australia, respectively HK, or Japan, and the USA... there are freighters, of course, but for these to take on mail of any kind would be ridiculous, since freighters seldom if ever follow a straight route from A to B, but, rather, they follow a circuitous route, from a port in one country to another port in another country, to yet another port in a third country, and so on...

...but... I may be wrong, as I (so very) often am...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 12-01-03 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-01-03, 03:36 PM
BabyBuddha

Well --- I think you might be wrong. My wife's mother often ships us packages from Germany via "surface mail". Somehow, somewhere, it gets on a ship and gets to NYC about 2 months later.

Anyway, heard from laserdisken that my disc shipped on Thursday. Expecting it any day now.
Old 12-01-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BabyBuddha
Well --- I think you might be wrong. My wife's mother often ships us packages from Germany via "surface mail".
...yeah... but are they "small" packages?

Somehow, somewhere, it gets on a ship and gets to NYC about 2 months later.
...AHA!!!...

Anyway, heard from laserdisken that my disc shipped on Thursday. Expecting it any day now.
...if it were sent "by ship" (from Denmark, yet!) it would take AT LEAST two weeks to get to where you are... (even the QE II takes AT LEAST 4 days to cross the ocean from the UK to New York - and, like I said, it does that only in summer...

. . . . . .
Old 12-01-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by reefa
Mine is coming to Virginia (sorry), but it shipped Wednesday, charged $33 and change US. Thanks again for the help on this one pro-bassoonist, I was content with getting the French LE, but the arguments persuaded me. I bow to your influence.

O, boy......dont know if I have ANY influence on this board....but I hope you enjoy the movie

Thank you for the kind words (not needed in fact...since they should go to my friend Michael in Denmark who is the real person that is responsible for this nice dvd treat)....it was a pleasure to help!!
Old 12-02-03, 10:33 AM
BabyBuddha

Oh...I didn't mean to imply that the DVD was being sent via ship -- just that it is possible to send packages (big or small) via ship, though it does take ages.

You've got me curious now to find out exactly what ships they take these packages on. Years ago, I bought a big vinyl box set from Japan that came via ship. Took four months!

Anyway...back to the original thread. For those of you that got the DVD, have you watched it yet? Thoughts? I was so incredibly blown away by the film when I saw it at the New York Film Festival -- I'm dying to see it again.

It is a crime that they are trimming this thing by about an hour. It will COMPLETELY take away from the dramatic impact at the conclusion.

Does Lion's Gate really think that by trimming the film they are going to make a dollar more? The people who want to see this film want to see this film. They know and love Von Trier, and are as excited about it as they were for DITD. I hardly think that the deciding factor for somebody who knows nothing about the film or Von Trier is going to be 180 minutes vs. 120.

No matter what, this film is not going to cater to mall mentality, right?
Old 12-02-03, 10:48 AM

Lion's Gate said at Cannes that they plan on releasing the uncut version in the US. I believe Italy is the only country (so far) that is getting the shorter version.
Old 12-02-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How is the Korean release going to be in comparison to this release? Anyone know? I am torn between which version to get.
Old 12-02-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fnordboy
How is the Korean release going to be in comparison to this release? Anyone know? I am torn between which version to get.
I asked this about a week ago, but nobody answered me...
Old 12-02-03, 01:53 PM

Its not out yet. Keeps getting pushed back.
Old 12-02-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The French disc is out, anybody have it?
Old 12-02-03, 07:50 PM

The French disc actually comes out December 4.
Old 12-03-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bjackson
The French disc actually comes out December 4.
Yep....still waiting for mine to ship from Amazon.fr!
Old 12-03-03, 02:35 PM

My copy came in from Laserdisken today. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 12-03-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
In regards to the Korean release...

the koreandvds.com website is indicating that it's being pushed back AGAIN to 12-30-03. They also added the following:

Disclaimer:
*The DVD image may not same as jacket of DVD

Titles produced in Korea are subject to government censorship when it involves nudity and violence. Although the censorship has been lessened over the years, frontal nudity and extreme violence(although rare) are forbidden. Please be careful especially when purchasing erotic movies. When you are worried about censored and deleted scenes of graphic violence and frontal nudity, do not buy from our site.

Aaargh! I should have waited for the Danish release.

For those who've seen the movie, what will likely be censored in the Korean version?
Old 12-04-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks BabyBuddha for the infomation for Laskerdisken.dk and particularyly the translation of the information fields. Thanks to everybody else who provided the various information on this informative thread. I ordered a Malata DVP-520 today and this disc. I can't wait to get them, because I thought I was going to have to wait till next year to see this.
Old 12-04-03, 02:48 AM

I was worried about that disclaimer on the KoreanDVDs.com site (and the constant delayed release dates).

I emailed to cancel today and they replied within minutes saying they'd do it. There will be a small loss for some people as some banks charge a small currency exchange charge.

I was surprised because Asian based retailers can be slow to give money back.

Just ordered it from Denmark.
Old 12-04-03, 04:31 AM

There's no graphic violence or nudity (aside from a bare ass for a few seconds) in the movie, so I'm not sure what would be censored in the Korean version...
Old 12-04-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RichDB10
Yep....still waiting for mine to ship from Amazon.fr!
Was hoping it would get shipped today seeing as though it is the apparent release date in France.
Checking the Amazon website and my order history seems to suggest it won't be sent for another 12-14 days yet!
Old 12-04-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by RichDB10
Was hoping it would get shipped today seeing as though it is the apparent release date in France.
Checking the Amazon website and my order history seems to suggest it won't be sent for another 12-14 days yet!
...well.....I dont want to sound like I keep pushing the Danish release....but I thought the overall presentations is phenomenal. All around 10 in my book!!

For those of you that would rather wait on the R1 release (when Lion's Gate decides to have it that is) I hope they come close enough to this presentation.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.