Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

PAL: will it be interlaced or prog?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi

i'm seriously thinking about getting into the region free world, one question i have is: will PAL discs be displayed in interlaced or progressive mode? (this will be utilizing the panasonic rp82 region-free and the panasonic L300U front projector)...

any info would be appreciated...

btw - if it would only interlaced, would the signal pass through component video or would i need an s-video connection?

thanks,
Old 10-12-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The RP-82 does not convert pal to ntsc just in case you didn't know that already.
Old 10-12-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, that is correct...

my question is: when viewing PAL material, will it be passed as a progessive signal or just interlaced? and if only interlaced, will it pass though component, or will i need an s-video connection?

anyone?
Old 10-13-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Umm... I think the question is... "Will the RP82 PASS THE PAL SIGNAL to the outputs?" He's using a projector not an NTSC Television.
Old 10-13-03, 03:28 AM

Projectors are multistandard, so that's a nonissue. The RP82 may require an additional memory mod to enable pal playback, as the RP62 did. JVBDigital.com would have more info. Unfortunately their site doesn't seem to be working atm as the mod descriptions won't come up. If it can indeed output the pal signal, it won't be progressive, as it is not capable of pal progressive, even on euro-equivalent models. It should pass through component fine, as prog/interlaced isn't an issue in that respect.
Old 10-13-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 194 Posts
Just like NTSC, PAL video is cable of being displayed in either interlaced or progressive format. Since your projector is multi-standard, you don't need a DVD player that can convert to NTSC, but you do need a DVD player that can pass a PAL signal, or in this case a PAL progressive signal. As noted above, it does not appear that the RP82 can do this, regardless of whether the region coding has been hacked or not.