Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Multisystem DVD player: performance and reliability

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, guys!
I was trying to find sonething related to my question within this forum but could not find anything. I got dilemma: I'm going to buy multisystem DVD player and make it my primary player. Main condition to play PAL/NTSC DVD's on my NTSC TV. I don't really care about playing CD-R, VCD. SVCD, CD-RW and so on. I want to find player which makes correct video (aspect ratio, colors) conversion from PAL to NTSC and has dicent audio output (5.1 and DTS), has progressive scan and to be reliable. I kind of lost among whole bunch of brand's like Daewoo, JVC, Malata, Akai, Electrohome. Panasonic and so on. It seems to me non of them has solid "GOOD" reputation. I'm not talking about very expensive models. I don't want to spend more then $150 but still have something (reasonably) decent. Is it possible?
I really appreciate any input for this subject.
Old 09-19-03, 06:22 PM

I've got a jvc from hkflix.com which has preformed fine.
Old 09-20-03, 09:44 PM

While I wouldn't make it my main player, or any pal converting player for that matter, the Philips 727 is only $89 at Target and can be made region free with the remote. If you don't like you can return it too.
Old 09-21-03, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mrwilson
While I wouldn't make it my main player, or any pal converting player for that matter, the Philips 727 is only $89 at Target and can be made region free with the remote. If you don't like you can return it too.
Why wouldn't you make it your main player? What's wrong with having a PAL-converting player as a main player?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-03, 07:33 AM

All the ones I have (JVC & Philips) don't have nearly the PQ on ntsc material like my Panasonic XP50 and RP91 do. The jvc & philips (727 in this case) are both very poor at displaying video sourced material as well as film sourced that is improperly flagged. All of this is moot if you only have an interlaced TV. I'd love to see a good pal converting player with DCDi in it. Are the higher end Philips still using that and are they 'remote hackable' like the 727 is?
Old 09-21-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mrwilson
All the ones I have (JVC & Philips) don't have nearly the PQ on ntsc material like my Panasonic XP50 and RP91 do. The jvc & philips (727 in this case) are both very poor at displaying video sourced material as well as film sourced that is improperly flagged. All of this is moot if you only have an interlaced TV. I'd love to see a good pal converting player with DCDi in it. Are the higher end Philips still using that and are they 'remote hackable' like the 727 is?
Thanks for the clarification. I only have an interlaced TV, so I'm not concerned at the moment. Whew.