Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Trigger's Latest Shipment + Reviews

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Trigger's Latest Shipment + Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-03, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you find those movies trigger? I don't see those at Koreandvds.com
Old 09-26-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,264 Likes on 842 Posts
The site (CtenosaurDVD) I bought the Ju-on tv movies from also sells a subbed version of Resurrection of the Little Match Girl.
Old 09-26-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by eXcentris
The site (CtenosaurDVD) I bought the Ju-on tv movies from also sells a subbed version of Resurrection of the Little Match Girl.
Yeah I noticed that, but I already bought it so it's too late now... and besides, I still think that guy is an a-hole and I probably won't buy anything from him.
Old 09-26-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mrwilson
various sources... haven't tried koreandvds.com though. I find out about movies all sorts of different ways. Sometimes I hear about them on message boards, sometimes I just stumble on the trailer and read a few reviews... www.asiandb.com is good for that. Sometimes my Korean friends tell me about them and I wait till I see the DVD come out.
Old 09-26-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,264 Likes on 842 Posts
Yo Trigger

Ju-On The Grudge

Same formula, i.e. a series of "vignettes" where you basically follow a different character to his demise with timelines that go back and forth, as the two tv movies. Of course this has higher production values, better use of makeup, lighting, sound, than the tv movies, and yes it's creepy and has some really good scares. However, I think that the 1st tv movie did a better job of slowly establishing that tense atmosphere that really gets under your skin and maintaining it. The Grudge gives you more "boo!" type scares but the 1st tv movie is overall creepier. Or maybe it's a question of the novelty wearing off, or already knowing who Toshio is and where the curse comes from lessening the impact, I'm not really sure. Oh yeah and seeing the 1st tv movie does help in understanding what happened to Toshio, his parents, and how this curse came about.

So I'd give:

Ju-On .......... 8.5/10
Ju-On 2........ 6.0/10
The Grudge.. 7.5/10

Last edited by eXcentris; 09-26-03 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks... Now I just gotta figure out what I'm gonna do.
Old 09-26-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually get my Korean DVD's from Yesasia or DVDASIAN (and sometimes from Pokerindustries, but only if you use a 15-20% coupon w/free shipping) . I've found both to be very reliable, DVDASIAN having super fast shipping and great customer service.

As for the films themselves, I usually hear about them from the message boards on asiandvdguide.com, kfccinema.com or koreanfilm.org.
Old 09-27-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got half-way through Little Match Girl last night... with subtitles. So far, it's pretty blah - it's like trying to be artsy or something. I'm still interested and I'll watch the second half when I get some time (and motivation) and then post a review.
Old 10-02-03, 02:10 AM

Hey Trigger, where'd you get the subtitles? Did you get the bootleg, or did you find a translation online? Or we all fooled into thinking the Korean DVD didnt have English subtitles when it really did? I must know!

Thanx.
Old 10-02-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Korean release never had Eng subs... Period.
Old 10-02-03, 08:41 AM

Trigger, are you going to review Classic anytime soon?
Old 10-02-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wild Card??
Old 10-02-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dleedlee
Trigger, are you going to review Classic anytime soon?
Looks like Trigger got suspended (again?). Wonder how long that'll be. I really want to see his reviews of the rest of the movies.
Old 10-02-03, 01:02 PM

Suspended for what?
Old 10-06-03, 08:35 PM

It appears the suspension has been lifted.
I hope he hasn't been discouraged to the point of not posting anymore.

Come back Trigger! We value your participation and leadership here.

Sincerely,
Gabe
Old 10-07-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Suspended for what?
For being a horrible person I guess... I didn't break any forum rules, but I guess I ticked off the wrong person on the wrong day (unintentionally).

Anyway - I'm back - haven't had time to watch anything actually... I'll post some reviews when I watch them though.
Old 10-07-03, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Can't Live Without a Robbery (a.k.a. Thief Maker) S. Korea

Wow. This is one fantastic film
Good call. Watched it over the weekend. Enjoyed it very much.

Also watched:
Ong Bak (that guy can move!) Forget all the other action stars, this guy is it! I hope he becomes the next Jackie Chan or something so we get to see a lot more from him. (that would be pre Rush Hour Jackie I'm talking about) This is my #1 action movie of the year.

Volcano High -I know, I know, everybody else has already seen it. Darn good. Nice blend of semi-serious and humour. Cool action scenes. (who was the thin girl that the blond kid was attracted to? Ice Queen or something... She looked familiar)
Old 10-07-03, 03:36 PM

So Far I have these on my want list:
Wonderful days
Save the green planet
Can't live without a robbery

Does anyone know when memories of murder is coming out? And the one about the twins? Oh and welcome back tiggerr.
Old 10-09-03, 06:17 PM
Cool New Member

I completely agree with your Sex is Zero opinion. I started watching it expecting a north america style American Pie, I got that but also a lot of intense drama that I never, ever, expected. Overall an odd combination but thats what I like about these foreign movies, they escape the hollywood mould!!
Old 10-10-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Weakerthans is a cool band.
Old 10-10-03, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto on Trigger's statement about the Weakerthans. They be good.
Old 10-10-03, 06:11 PM
Cool New Member

They are good, I was just lacking for something creative, and I look up to my wall and see my weakerthans show poster so I went for it.
Old 10-13-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Classic (s. korea)

Wow... really great film. It's a romance with 2/3 drama and 1/3 comedy. It's kinda like Sassy Girl meets Ditto or Il Mare. Very well done. I laughed... I cried... I felt all gooey inside.

I don't want to give away any of the story, but it truly is a classic love story. There were a few problems here and there, but they were minor. This is a must have if you like Korean romance films. It's one of the best I've seen. It's not quite as good as My Sassy Girl (I don't think), but it's worthy of an 8.75/10.

Three - (korea, thailand, hong kong)

I only watched 2 of these... one from Korea and one from Hong Kong. They are all seperate short movies filmed in different countries and they're all about 40 minutes long and they are all supposed to be scary or creepy. Memories is from Korea and it was pretty mediocre. The story was good, but the execution wasn't the best. There were a few creepy moments, but it seemed like they kinda rushed it since there was only 40 minutes. This story could've carried a full length film. Still, it was pretty tight and worth watching. 7/10

Going Home I think is that's the title for the HK one. Stars Leon Lai and Eric Tsang... It started out promising, but then just sank into a really silly twilight zone episode type of thing. Not very satisfying. 5/10.

I can elaborate another time or field questions, but I'm kinda tired right now so that's all I can manage.
Old 10-14-03, 01:44 AM

Trigger,
If you liked MEMORIES definitely check out Ji-woon Kim's newest film A TALE OF TWO SISTERS (on r3k DVD on 10/24). I caught this at a film festival over the weekend and thought it was breathtaking. This was the best horror film I have seen all year (and maybe in the last few years). It has gorgeous Victorian backdrops, haunting music, chilling scare scenes, strong acting, good pacing, great cinematography, smart use of sound, and a twisting, compassionate story. The film was so hot that it sparked a bidding war for its remake rights. In the end, Dreamworks won out with its bid of $2 million - double that of RING and a record for Asian films.

Zerotl,
MEMORIES OF MURDER comes out on r3k DVD on Halloween (10/31). I saw this a couple of weeks ago and can highly recommend it as well. Surprisingly funny for a tale about a string of sinister murders. It, along with A TALE OF TWO SISTERS and SAVE THE GREEN PLANET are IMO the best films South Korea has released in 2003. Don't miss any of the three.
Old 10-15-03, 06:09 PM

Tnx wuken for the tips, aren't those two >> Memories Of Murder and Tale Of Two Sisters being released in Korea this month also?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.