Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Shaw Brothers Celestial DVD's should I buy?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Which Shaw Brothers Celestial DVD's should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-04, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judging from what you enjoy, you may like these, but before you place your order, I would say research these titles first or ask other people for more recommendations or any comments on the ones that I have listed. My likes and dislikes are most likely different than yours, so my advice to you is to research these titles first. Reason for saying this is, I feel bad when I recommend someone movies to look into and they end up not liking it (like I wasted their money). Check out kungfucinema for some reviews. I hope this helps you out.

Shaw Bros kung fu essentials

36th Chamber of Shaolin
Five Venoms
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
heroes Two
5 Shaolin Masters
The Master
Invincible Shaolin
Executioners from Shaolin

I consider all these essentials for MA films, but you may want to check out the first three to see if these movies are to your liking. If they are, then you could move on to the others that I mentioned.

Swordplay essentials

Killer Clans
Sentimental Swordsman
Magic Blade
Soul of the Sword
Death Duel
Jade Tiger
Clans of Intrigue
Secret Service of Imperial Court

Just like what I said above, check out the first four, then move on to the rest if they are to your liking. Just like Ky-Fi said, Chor Yuen films are difficult to follow because they seem complex at times, but if you could get past that then prepare to enjoy some of the coolest swordplays ever filmed.

Other Shaw films

Boxer from Shantung--deals with the rise and fall of a Chinese peasant (maybe this was an influence on Brian De Palma's Scarface) Very good film btw

Super Inframan--since tokusatsu films are a guilty pleasure of mine, I have to recommend this one if you like Ultraman, rubber monster costumes, cheesy special effects, and marital arts.

Blood Brothers--I don't know whether it classify this is a MA film, but this is one of my favorites.

Even though the next films aren't Shaw bros, I consider these to be "essentials" if you are a MA fan or getting into this genre. Some of these could be bought for real cheap at dddhouse.

MAster of the Flying Guillotine (Jimmy wang yu)
Warriors Two (Sammo Hung)
Prodigal Son (Yuen Biao)
Last Hurrah for Chivalry (John Woo swordplay)
Magnificent Butcher (Sammo Hung)
Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Drunken Master (JAckie Chan)
Drunken Master 2 (Legend of Drunken MAster) (Jackie Chan)
7 Grand Masters

Last edited by Master Killer; 05-09-04 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-09-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are any of their other films like Super Inframan? I enjoy cheesy flicks like Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain, etc..

Last edited by flashburn; 05-09-04 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-09-04, 05:01 PM

Kung Fu Colt Master (Lord of the Wu-Tang) (Jet Li)
Buddha's Palm (shaw bros)
Tai Chi Master (Jet Li) doesn't have the cheesy effects, but it has that wire fu type of martial arts.

These are the ones that I could think of off the top of my head.
Old 05-09-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool, thanks for the help. I can tell my next DDDHouse order will be a big one.
Old 05-13-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just thought I would bump this up, due to YesAsia's sale.
Old 05-13-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And here's the tentative release schedule for the rest of the year------oh, my aching credit card......

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/shaw_brothers.html
Old 05-14-04, 08:12 AM
Banned

These are indeed lovely releases.
One's I've picked up:
"The Water Margin" - very let down by the lack of action in this and wasted cast...some okay bits, but there was no pint in most of the cast even being in it as most did nothing but lurk around in the background.

"All Men Are Brothers" - This is more like it! Silly, but delivered those great 'Shaws' fights in splattery bucket loads. This had some strange sound problems though.

"Bamboo House of Dolls" - Very good sleaze 'n' violence fest that just looks great on this new transfer.

"Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan" - Not the cheap sleaze thing the silly title would have you believe. Very swell made, interesting, sometimes nasty and with a great finale. Again it lopks stunning with those wonderful Shaws sets never looking better.

"The Blood Brothers" - Again a lack of action, and a lack of bloodshed..But some great moments and some fine performaces, and excellently choreographed. Ti Lung is, as always, the man.

"8 Diagram Pole Fighters" may be my nest purchase.
Old 05-14-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I notice that there are a few horror/occult type movies in the releases - anyone have any suggestions (or warnings) or comments on them?
Old 05-15-04, 07:59 AM

I just ordered 3 Celestial Shaw Bros. dvds from Yesasia. These are my first Shaw Bros. purchases. I decided to start with these three and if I like them I will consider buying more.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
8 diagram pole fighter
Executioners From Shaolin
Old 05-15-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by welb25
I just ordered 3 Celestial Shaw Bros. dvds from Yesasia. These are my first Shaw Bros. purchases. I decided to start with these three and if I like them I will consider buying more.

8 diagram pole fighter
Executioners From Shaolin
I decided to do the same thing, and got the following :

The Flying Guillotine
The Five Venoms
Killer Clans

Hopefully I will get them in about a week. Looking forward to seeing them.
Old 05-15-04, 09:15 AM

cool Flashburn, one thing a lot of people seem to agree on is that 36th Chamber of Shaolin is a good place to start.
Old 05-15-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it sounds awesome.
Old 05-15-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I also ordered 36th Chanmber of Shaolin (among others) yesterday - they're gonna run out soon!
Old 05-15-04, 07:48 PM

Damn you guys for informing about the sale at YesAsia. I went ahead and ordered My Young Auntie, Mad Monkey Kung Fu, and Old Boy(even though it ain't Shaw related). My bank account has been taking a beating these days. Thanks everyone. J/K
Old 07-14-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How are the quality of these celestial DVD's? I know they have anamorphic transfers but are the video and audio quality any good?
Old 07-14-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,564 Posts
The ones that I have seen look excellent. Hong Kong isn't exactly known for its film preservation efforts, but either Shaw kept good care of their original elements, or there was some miracle restoration work done (the truth is probably somewhere in between). Anyway, the prints I've seen look gorgeous. The sound is not as breathtaking, but perfectly serviceable. The only complaints I've heard about the audio, is that some titles for some reason have an annoying "bird whistling" sound effect added in the background (even in indoor scenes). Either I haven't caught it, or it doesn't occur in the relatively few titles I have so far. At any rate, I highly recommend these DVDs.
Old 07-15-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
The ones that I have seen look excellent. Hong Kong isn't exactly known for its film preservation efforts, but either Shaw kept good care of their original elements, or there was some miracle restoration work done (the truth is probably somewhere in between). Anyway, the prints I've seen look gorgeous. The sound is not as breathtaking, but perfectly serviceable. The only complaints I've heard about the audio, is that some titles for some reason have an annoying "bird whistling" sound effect added in the background (even in indoor scenes). Either I haven't caught it, or it doesn't occur in the relatively few titles I have so far. At any rate, I highly recommend these DVDs.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll definitely check some of them out now that I am officially region free.