Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP! Philips 727 vs. Toshiba 3900

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

HELP! Philips 727 vs. Toshiba 3900

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-03, 12:52 PM
mft
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
727 multiple angle icon

Does anybody know how to turn off the "camera" icon that the 727 displays when there are multiple angles available?

Disney/Miramax DVDs sometimes use multiple angles to localize opening and closing credits, and it is pretty anoying to have the icon on the screen all the time.
Old 10-08-03, 01:08 PM

I don't have a 727 but try going into Setup, Display and turning off OSD/On Screen Display or something like it.
Old 10-08-03, 02:22 PM

Don't think you can. I've looked for something to turn off the play and pause indicators too and couldn't find anything.
Old 10-08-03, 06:09 PM

This is likely a bug in the Phillips firmware, as the 9xx series also feature this annoyance. Phillips has promised fixes for months but has yet to remedy it to my knowledge.
Old 10-08-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, that's annoying as hell--the fact that you can't get rid of the OSD icons. I perused the manual, fiddled with everything and I still couldn't find anything to indicate how to get rid of them.

I still haven't played enough DVDs in the player for it to be a major issue, but I can foresee me getting pretty peeved when there's a DVD with a static ANGLE icon that won't go away.

Any idea of who to contact at Philips to beg for a fix?

One other note: as the originator of this thread, I haven't posted to it in a while. Although I own several PAL DVDs and the player works great for them, all of the DVDs I have are apparently region 0; i.e. I haven't had to use the remote control hack once yet. Unless the player was already hacked (bought brand new at Target), I have yet to get a non-region 1 or 0 DVD to try it out. Dellamorte Dellamore has shipped from Italy so maybe that will be a legitimate region 2 DVD to try.
Old 10-08-03, 07:12 PM

DD is R2.
Old 10-08-03, 08:54 PM
mft
Cool New Member

I spoke to a Philips costumer service representative today, so I can tell you that that is _not_ the way to go to request a fix to the OSD icon problem. The guy spent a considerable amount of time trying to convince me that the ANGLE icon was being displayed by the disc, not the player. When I explained to him that my other DVD players did not show this problem, he argued that those players probably did not support the multiple angle feature. I finally gave up... :-(
Old 10-08-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I tried their online chat. I asked the question if there was any way to get rid of the OSD icons. However, first the support person insisted that I provide my name and other information out of me before he'd answer my question. Then the applet apparently crashed. All told: thirty minute waste of time. Ugh.

Anyway, the idiot you spoke to mft needs to grow a brain. That's entirely stupid--that the disc is displaying the icons...

mrwilson: Thanks for the confirmation about it being R2. It shipped on the third, so hopefully I'll get it soon.
Old 10-09-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just orderd the Phillips 727 from Amazon - current price is $79.84.

OMG ...... why am I spending money so that I can now spend even MORE money on DVDs.....
Old 10-09-03, 05:53 PM
Cool New Member

I too have purchased the 727 to replace a pioneer after-market hack dvd player. The 727 played all the discs I have quite beautifully.

But there's one issue, and perhaps I am not approaching this correctly and hope you guys can help.

I have an 3-4 year old sony XBR wega (4:3) that would perform a "vertical squeeze". For those who are not familiar, how it works is: feed a anamorphic signal from a dvd player (the dvd player had to be set to 16:9 like it is outputting to a widescreen TV) to the sony and it would squeeze it back to proper ratio. This is done automatically, the TV recognizes the anamorphic signal and perform the "squeeze". No setting is available to enable or disable it.

The benefit is that it increases the resolution of the picture by retaining the extra lines of resolution in the anamorphic picture, as oppose to the 4:3 letterbox option one generally selects for a 4:3 TV.

This had been working fine with the old pioneer dvd player, with noticible picture improvement. But when connected to the 727, the "vertical sqeeze" function was never triggered as if the TV did not recognize the anamorphic signal.

Are newer player sending out a different kind of analorphic signals? Or maybe older TV has problems with newer dvd players?
Old 10-09-03, 06:20 PM

Can you enable the squeeze manually?
Old 10-10-03, 08:54 AM

quote from above:

I have an 3-4 year old sony XBR wega (4:3) that would perform a "vertical squeeze". For those who are not familiar, how it works is: feed a anamorphic signal from a dvd player (the dvd player had to be set to 16:9 like it is outputting to a widescreen TV) to the sony and it would squeeze it back to proper ratio. This is done automatically, the TV recognizes the anamorphic signal and perform the "squeeze". No setting is available to enable or disable it.

If your old DVD player was not progressive the Sonys of that period WILL do it automatically, but with progressive machines it doesn't! You have to hit the main menu button, go to Setup, then down to 16:9 and over to change it -- each time (sorry) -- and careful if you pause the disc and change inputs you'll have to reset going back to the DVD input!
Old 10-10-03, 10:51 AM

Target has price cut the Philips 727 to $79.99.
Old 10-10-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the heads up duo...time to take the receipt in.
Old 10-10-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why take the receipt in? Will they refund the $10 and change?
Old 10-10-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to try at least with just the receipt. If not, I'll just buy a new one and return it on the old receipt.
Old 10-10-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool. Good idea. Walk in, buy the new one, walk out. Screw around for a little while and come back in with the old receipt. I'll mention it to my girlfriend; she was the one who bought it for me for my birthday. Thanks!
Old 10-11-03, 02:58 AM

I'd advise against returning the new one with the old receipt. Target's new policy has been to embed the serial number of the merchandise on the receipt, thereby inextricably linking the two.

IOW, when you attempt to return the new one, they'll refuse the return since the (old) receipt will reveal the serial number of your original purchase.

Just go the extra mile - box up your original 727 and return with its corresponding receipt. Get your money back, walk to the electronics aisle, and buy another one at the new, reduced price. While a little more arduous, it'll definitely excuse you from the embarrassment that will undoubtedly ensue if you do otherwise.

Should add...Target has an unwritten price adjustment policy - if within 14 days of original date of purchase, you should find that the price of non-clearance merchandise drops, you can bring in the receipt and be credited the amount of the difference.

Last edited by duofold; 10-11-03 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-11-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Duo, now that I think about it...I remember them scanning the serial #. Looking at the back of the Target receipt, they mention a 15% restocking fee. Don't you think I'll get hit with that should I attempt to box up this one and return it? I guess I would have to say it's defective or something to avoid the fee. Maybe more trouble than it's worth.
Old 10-11-03, 01:06 PM

There are absolutely NO restocking fees on the non-portable dvd players (restrictions on back of receipt refer to primarily portable electronics).

All you need to do is simply explain you weren't happy with the performance...as long as you are within the 90-day return window, no questions asked.

It's entirely up to you whether the effort is worth the approx. $8-$20, depending on what was the original purchase price ($99 or $89 now down to $79).

Since I visit Target 1-2x each week (SuperTarget for groceries), it's easy enough for me to box the player up and take it in.

I also found my receipt and see that the serial number is visibly printed under the listed merchandise.

Last edited by duofold; 10-11-03 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-11-03, 03:48 PM
Cool New Member

Wow -- I was leaning toward the Philips until you guys mentioned the multiple angle icon problem. I've got a few discs that feature it, and that would really annoy me. I think it would make Clerks Uncensored virtually unwatchable, because the alternate angle features the animatic version throughout entire episodes.

Looks like I'll pick up the Toshiba -- assuming it doesn't have the same problem!
Old 10-11-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads up on the serial number issue. It's a moot point anyway because I talked it over with my girlfriend (she bought me the player three weeks ago for my birthday) and she said that she doesn't care about getting the ten bucks back. Okay. Saves me the trouble.

Regarding the multiple angle issue, someone at Philips needs to get their head out of their ass and realize that this is an issue with the player and it should be corrected.
Old 10-13-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does the Iron Giant SE from Korea cause the multiple angle icon? The description for the DVD was showing 13 branching scenes which sound like icon issues.
Old 10-14-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone happen to own a Philips 727 and a Liteon LVD-2001? I was curious how these two players compare.
Old 10-16-03, 06:42 PM

Bought the 726 at Best Buy after trading in my older CyberHome 500 for it. Hopefully they'll get the 727 in soon so I can exchange the 726 for the 727. I've gotten too used to having an open/close button on my DVD player.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.