Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region 2 vs 1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-03, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Region 2 vs 1?

Why is there so much talk of Region 2 versions being better than Region 1? Is it only in certain instances, or are most Region 1 transfers being done poorly?
Old 08-19-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

it's the devil.....

welcome
Old 08-19-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcme to the board, Rusty!

Sometimes DVDs available in other regions will have more footage, better transfers, more/better features than their Region One counterparts. This should be taken on a case-by-case basis, as sometimes certain studios will have rights to more features/better transfers, etc. Films aren't always distributed by the same studio worldwide and this is the main reason why some DVDs are startlingly different country to country.

I advise you read the FAQ. Again, welcome to the forum!
Old 08-19-03, 09:47 PM
Rest in Peace

I pre-fer to buy cheaper Australian dollar DVD than expensive UK Pounds sterling prices. I have used Currency Transfer engines and find that my USA dollar goes further down under (Australia).

I also found that a lot of PAL can be used by both UK and Australia settings on my all region mod JVC, for Regions 2 or 4 which are both PAL (Phase Alternate Line). IMHO
Old 08-19-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree. I think that Austrailia's DVD's (for the most part) are way overpriced. I import mine from the UK.

Do a price search first, always.
Old 08-20-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
I disagree. I think that Austrailia's DVD's (for the most part) are way overpriced. I import mine from the UK.

Do a price search first, always.
They may be overpriced in their own currency, but the Australian dollar is a lot weaker than the British pound.

Do a currency conversion and you'll see that your American dollar stretches a lot further in Australia.
Old 08-20-03, 02:17 PM

There is no winner, and its all down to how much you want a better version, I get dvds from every place in the world, UK, America, Korea, Japan, Cina, Australia, Franch, Germany. all have better versions of different films, there is no way of ever giving a plane and simple answer! its down to what you want, do you want more extras? DTS? anamorphic widescreen? better packaging? whatever you want they are all out there, and with a little research you can find whats best for you. I personally prefer PAL picture, but if another region has a better dvd I wil get that.

Prices are all about the same in the end, as everyone has sales, but for brand new releases Canada seems to be the cheapest place for me and many others too.
Old 08-20-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Romerojpg
There is no winner, and its all down to how much you want a better version, I get dvds from every place in the world, UK, America, Korea, Japan, Cina, Australia, Franch, Germany. all have better versions of different films, there is no way of ever giving a plane and simple answer! its down to what you want, do you want more extras? DTS? anamorphic widescreen? better packaging? whatever you want they are all out there, and with a little research you can find whats best for you. I personally prefer PAL picture, but if another region has a better dvd I wil get that.

Prices are all about the same in the end, as everyone has sales, but for brand new releases Canada seems to be the cheapest place for me and many others too.

Yeah....I hear those dvds from Franch....are excellent!!!
Old 08-21-03, 12:28 PM

and dont forget Cina! or China! picky.
Old 08-23-03, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Romerojpg

Yeah,nice one.
I`ts nice,for once,to see the yanks searching for DVD`s from other countrys .For years,I`ve been hunting down movies from them,and now,all of a sudden,they`ve woken up and discovered that i`ts not only the USA which produces them,and at times,a better product is available if only they take the time and effort to look!

If It`s too loud,you`re too old
Old 08-23-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

...yeah....what's that suppose to mean....its not like you know every "yankee" and the way we go about searching for movies....

...there are plenty of people around here that search, know, and are interested in other movies (foreign)...no one ever stated that the US is the only place that produces good films. I suggest you look around this forum to get a better idea pal!

your comment regarding non region 1 titles is also pointless. There are plenty of locations that offer other region dvds for sale or rent....ok?

Pro-basoonist

O, by the way.....it is "countries" not "countrys"
Old 08-26-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

go to http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/comparisons for the answers you seek.