Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

U.K. 2-disk THE HITCHER set is great!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thumbnail review for all you on the fence about this set...

I just received my 2-disk set of THE HITCHER from CD-Wow.HK ($22 shipped, cheapest price I could find) and man am I pleased!

Picture and audio on the film itself are awesome. Plus, the special features are everything I had hoped... Feature length commentary with both director Harmon and writer Red (haven't listened to yet). Plus, shorter, scene-specific commentaries by Harmon, Red and about 5 others, including Mark Isham (Very interesting). Screenplay selections including two unfilmed scenes. (Again very interesting). Harmon's legendary, but otherwise impossible to see short CHINA LAKE, with a commentary by Harmon (Way cool!). An interesting short by Hauer, with a commentary (Nice addition). A making of (haven't watched yet, but I love the title: How Do These Films Get Made?)

I'll spend days getting through everything. It's all just too good to be true!
Old 08-01-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got this a couple weeks ago. I haven't gotten into it much but what I have looked at looks very good. I'm pleased also.
Old 08-01-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: U.K. 2-disk THE HITCHER set is great!

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother
Just a thumbnail review for all you on the fence about this set...

I just received my 2-disk set of THE HITCHER from CD-Wow.HK ($22 shipped, cheapest price I could find) and man am I pleased!
Thanks for the review. I have been trying to delay purchasing this due to $ considerations, but now I have no choice. Bastard!
Old 08-09-03, 09:22 PM
Banned

If you're in New York City, Kim's Video in the East Village has several of these in stock. Picked one up today and it is sweet. Great to see The Hitcher treated with the respect it deserves.

Also picked up the two-disc Trainspotting: Definitive Edition. Gonna watch that tonight. Choose life.
Old 08-10-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update: Listened to all of the commentaries. The scene specific ones are terrific. Each lasts between 2 and 11 minutes and a lot of info is imparted in that amount of time.

The feature length commentary, however, is pretty disappointing. Eric Red has almost nothing of value to say, when he says anything at all. Mostly he comments on the directorial techniques, such as what lenses were used, etc. as if trying to show Harmon that he's been around the directing block himself. Harmon has a few interesting things to say, mostly about the locations, but there are LONG pauses where both guys just watch the movie. Still, the rest of the DVD is great and I can't recommend it highly enough!

Oh, and I also watched the "making of," which is great. A lot of interesting tidbits from the set, as well as discussion about the critical reception to the film, and it's long post-theatrical life. Just a terrific piece and it more than makes up for the lackluster feature commentary.

Last edited by CrumpsBrother; 08-10-03 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-03-03, 04:56 PM

We reviewed this disc a few months back. It is superb. Anyway we have recently interview the team involved with this disc and our interview can be found here

Also if you are interested our DVD review can be read here

cheers
Welshboy
Old 02-01-06, 12:39 PM
Suspended

A few years later. Quite a few dollars cheaper (cdwow 4.99 with voucher). Quite a good dvd.
Old 02-01-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tacos
A few years later. Quite a few dollars cheaper (cdwow 4.99 with voucher). Quite a good dvd.
Must... get!

I was surprised by how good the film was - it was my first Nicheflix rental.
Old 02-01-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely a winner - and at the cheaper price, this should be a no-brainer
Old 02-01-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by tacos
Link? Por favor.

Gracias.
Old 02-01-06, 08:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Link? Por favor.

Gracias.
http://www3.cd-wow.us/detail_results...subcat=region2

beunoes diaz...

Last edited by tacos; 02-02-06 at 11:13 AM.