Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Who has My Wife is a Gangster? Need help

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-03, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the 2 disc version put out by Bear Entertainment. According to the back of the case it's supposed to be in 1:85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen. However when I put it in my player it fills up the whole screen. I don't think it's my plater since I put in Hero just to check, and that was still Widescreen. I have my player set up on the screen for "4:3". I have a normal tv, so this is the correct setting right? Anyone know if maybe I have it on the wrong setting or something? Maybe I got a bad disc? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Use your DVD Players setup menu and switch the setting to

4:3 LBX or 4:3 Letterbox

A few Korean DVDs will check your DVD Players setting and will play whichever mode your DVD player dictates.

This is a common problem that people don't realize and this question does come up once in a while.

Good Luck!
Old 07-28-03, 03:08 AM

axolotis,

I changed the setting from "4:3 PS" to "4:3 LB". That fixed it. So now what is the difference between those two?
Old 07-28-03, 10:49 AM

4x3 PS does a zoom in on the anamorphic print, giving a pan and scan effect (although no panning is done). It is so people who want pan and scan can have it on a widescreen DVD. More companies should use it so we don't have to have dual releases or pan and scan copies taking up valuable bitrate. And yes, I know that you will miss more stuff because it doesn't pan, but if you don't like OAR, that's just too bad in my opinion.

4x3 LB throws away some scanlines to fit the whole anamorphic widescreen image on a 4x3 TV with no distortion.
Old 07-30-03, 12:16 PM

Early Korean discs had this zooming problem occuring regularly or worse still a stretching problem but I haven't encountered any new films with aspect ratio problems yet.