Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

WONDER WOMAN on R2

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-03, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WONDER WOMAN on R2

Due out tomorrow is volume 1 of THE NEW ADVENTURES OF WONDER WOMAN - consisting of the 1977 pilot "Return of Wonder woman", plus the first two episodes of season 2. A few "gallery" extras are included.
Old 06-08-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark,
if your picking this up, please post a review.
i have it on order, but won't get it until next month since it's being bundled with some other pre-orders.
specifically looking to hear how the video quality is.
Old 06-09-03, 12:32 PM

Will do - i will by buying it this week.
Old 06-11-03, 04:14 PM

Bought the disc earlier today. I have watched the first episode - the 70m RETURN OF WONDER WOMAN. Still stands up well today. The picture quality is very good - crisp and clean. However the scene wipes (animated moving stars) look dreadful. The other two episodes which I have yet to view are ANSCHLUSS 77 and MAN WHO COULD MOVE THE WORLD. The "extras" are - a very brief photo gallery of Lynda Carter publicity poses taken from all seasons of the show, a hard-to-see memorabilia section (I can't tell what most of the items are!!) and a not-to-bad biography section of Carter, Waggonner et al
Old 06-11-03, 04:19 PM

I also recommend the R2 releases of THE BIONIC WOMAN - 3 volumes released so far (a fourth has been announced for September I believe). Picture quality on these is excellent - especially the Vincent Price episode BLACK MAGIC. The SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN discs are also good, although picture quality on these is slightly more grainy on some episodes
Old 06-11-03, 07:32 PM

Has anyone seen the A-Team discs? Hows the PQ?
Old 06-12-03, 11:26 AM

No sorry - not my type of series.
Old 06-12-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks, Mark.
good to hear about the quality, and also good news about the next Bionic Woman disc.
it's been what? over a year now since vol.3?

i wish Universal were a better run company so we could get season sets in R1.
great show and Lindsey Wagner is as charming as ever.

i've heard a second volume for Wonder Woman is due out in Aug, but an unaware of any planned yet after that.
kinda pricey to import these at only 3 eps a disc, but this is one series i don't see Warner very close to putting out.
with rumblings of a theatrical movie, they would probably wait until that was done to tie-in the dvd release (groan).
in other words a R1 set won't be happening anytime soon.

the first two WW eps here aren't exactly my favorites of the series (i liked some of the 40's era a bit better), but i really enjoy Man Who Could Move the World.
a good thoughtful ep that actually tries to maintain continuity with the first incarnation.
Old 06-12-03, 02:37 PM

I preferred the WWII episodes, yet preferred the opening credits/theme from the final series (getting rid of that infuriating theme song---sadly all CD tracks featuring the WW music has this vocal theme version, rather than the instrumental version from the final season)
Old 06-27-03, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Mark C Bale
I also recommend the R2 releases of THE BIONIC WOMAN - 3 volumes released so far (a fourth has been announced for September I believe).
where have you seen this information? I can't find any pre-orders for this anywhere!

I just assumed Playback stopped their "Bionic" releases after the really poor $6M Man volume 4. Not that the disc itself is poor, just that it was a re-release of one of the three tapes in a previously-released VHS set. Not exactly something that fans are going to buy again if they already had the tapes. I was afraid maybe sales had dropped due to this disc presumably selling badly, being a reissue and all.

I'd heard there was to be a 3-disc box set of $6M last year, but it was cancelled.
Old 06-27-03, 02:34 PM

A new volume was announced on one UK online store for September, but I believe it has been removed.

However, a second WONDERWOMAN volume is due early August, containing the next 3 "New Adventures" episodes
Old 07-07-03, 03:52 PM

Yeah, I also bought Wonder Woman Vol1

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to get it to play on my Toshiba 3900 with no luck. I've tried all the possible hack given on this site. It worked on the Irreversible DVD but not Woman Woman.

I'm thinking of buying the CH300 from radio shack just to watch it. What players are you guys using? Maybe I should buy whatever I know will work.

Anyone got vol 2?

Luc
Old 07-07-03, 04:12 PM

Does the Tosh 3900 play PAL discs?
Old 07-07-03, 05:05 PM

mrwilson,

yes with the following code entry:

menu, 1, play

or

top menu, 1, play

when the player display the message: check regional coding.
Old 07-07-03, 06:09 PM

That makes it play PAL discs or Other Region Discs?
Old 07-08-03, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by mrwilson
Has anyone seen the A-Team discs? Hows the PQ?
The A-Team looks pretty damn good, considering that this is a 20+ year old TV show. 3 episodes per disc and not a lot extras - but you can pick them up for pretty cheap.

As for more Bionic Woman/6MDM - I would LOVE to get further discs, but there hasnt been a playback release in quite some time. No A-Team, Knight Rider, Hulk, or either of the Bionic shows - did the whole line up and die or something?
Old 07-08-03, 12:22 PM

mrwilson,

As I've gathered from this forum, once you've done the hack, it should play all regions. There's a big thread on the Toshiba 3900 here not too long ago. Do a search and you shall find it.