Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tosh SD3900 [ Region Free ] discussion

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Tosh SD3900 [ Region Free ] discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I got my R2 The Deer Hunter: SE today and the hack does NOT work with this title. Anyone know of any other possible hacks to get around this? Seems like if it plays one R2, it should be able to play all, but I'm not up on this technical talk.
Old 08-08-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try the alternate hack, hitting display and then selecting one of the titles to play.
Old 08-08-03, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Fandango
Did you try the alternate hack, hitting display and then selecting one of the titles to play.
Yes, I did, as well as hitting top menu and play. Nothing.
Old 08-08-03, 10:08 PM

Just a quick 'thanks' to everyone for all of the info on this player. I picked one up with the 10% off coupon at Best Buy, and it has played everything I've thrown at it so far.
Old 08-09-03, 12:14 AM

Monkey, I've got some tricky discs that also don't seem to take initially. But, when I fiddle with the top menu button, it eventually plays - try hitting 'Top Menu' twice quickly in succession, then hit '1', then 'Play'...wait a moment (sometimes several seconds) without touching anything.

Hopefully this will do the trick.
Old 08-09-03, 12:16 AM

BTW...the SD-3900 has been temporarily price cut at Target for $89 until 8/9/03. Which mean it goes back to $99 today.
Old 08-09-03, 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by duofold
Monkey, I've got some tricky discs that also don't seem to take initially. But, when I fiddle with the top menu button, it eventually plays - try hitting 'Top Menu' twice quickly in succession, then hit '1', then 'Play'...wait a moment (sometimes several seconds) without touching anything.

Hopefully this will do the trick.
Tried it, and it doesn't work either.
Old 08-09-03, 06:31 PM

Monkey, I mentioned this earlier in the thread: have you tired setting the Autoplay feature to on? Most discs play fine with Autoplay set to off, but I have a couple titles that won't play unless I set Autoplay to on. Give that a shot if you haven't already. Or if Autoplay is already set to on, set it to off. You still might have to try this along with some of the other hacks, but eventually it should work.
Old 08-09-03, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CJayBlair
Monkey, I mentioned this earlier in the thread: have you tired setting the Autoplay feature to on? Most discs play fine with Autoplay set to off, but I have a couple titles that won't play unless I set Autoplay to on. Give that a shot if you haven't already. Or if Autoplay is already set to on, set it to off. You still might have to try this along with some of the other hacks, but eventually it should work.
Tried it with autoplay both on and off and with the hacks for both, and still nothing.
Old 08-09-03, 09:29 PM

Is there a Macrovision hack for this player as well?
Old 08-10-03, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by n.phelge
Just a quick 'thanks' to everyone for all of the info on this player. I picked one up with the 10% off coupon at Best Buy, and it has played everything I've thrown at it so far.
What 10% off coupon?
Old 08-11-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, i picked one up today at target, they still had it marked for 89.99. The picture quality is outstanding, both pal 16:9 DVDs looked amazing and the hacks worked perfectly and were not a pain at all.

I'm very happy
Old 08-14-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally posted by n.phelge
Big for all the useful info here. I also picked one up at BB at $89.99-10%= $80.99 on Sunday. Everything worked great.
Old 08-14-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't know if i should have started a new thread for this info or not, but like i stated in my last post on this thread, the Magnvox MDV 421 is also region free, with the proper hack or code. It doesn't do the NTSC-PAL conversion but hey it allowed me to get the good version of the DC version of Army of Darkness and the R3 "Hero". It only cost me around $80 at best buy. I got it for my bedroom player since i only have 27inch zenith thats around 8 yrs old. I'm actually thinking of moving to be my main player since it does have the componet hookup .
But again i guess there should be a One and Only region free hack player thread or something.
Old 08-18-03, 12:37 PM

Army of Darkness & Deer Hunter Questions

Originally posted by paradicelost
...but hey it allowed me to get the good version of the DC version of Army of Darkness ...
I've been looking for this one. Where did you order it? A link, please?

Also, monkey mentioned that Deer Hunter SE would not work on his 3900. Is this known to be true for all? Just ordered the Tosh 3900 and was about to order this title as well. I won't if it will not work!

Thanks
Old 08-18-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a link to the R3 Army of Darkness which is the best version out: http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm
Old 08-18-03, 01:25 PM

Thank you, Fandango.
Old 08-19-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Army of Darkness & Deer Hunter Questions

Also, monkey mentioned that Deer Hunter SE would not work on his 3900. Is this known to be true for all? Just ordered the Tosh 3900 and was about to order this title as well. I won't if it will not work!

[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't have this title yet, but i have yet to find a title that won't play on this player. I'm so glad i saw this thread, i can't believe everyone wouldn't own this, its the player for the money on the market, its better than my malata, which crapped out in under a year and i paid three times as much for it
Old 08-19-03, 01:19 PM
Banned

All of my other PAL discs play fine. The first disc of The Deer Hunter: SE will NOT play on this player at all.
Old 08-19-03, 08:07 PM

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I have to ask again. Does anyone with the 3900, have the region 2 PAL Bend it Like Beckham .... and can you get it to play? I can't get mine to play no matter what I do (similar to the Deer Hunter SE complaints above), and I want to know if my disc is bad, or if the player will not read this title at all?
Old 08-19-03, 08:50 PM

Maybe we need a new thread? Start a thread with title of "Will the 3900 play this DVD?" -- just a thought... I'd sure like a list like that for when my machine arrives!

Ahh, what the heck... I'll do it. Here goes
Old 08-21-03, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by raining_helper
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I have to ask again. Does anyone with the 3900, have the region 2 PAL Bend it Like Beckham .... and can you get it to play? I can't get mine to play no matter what I do (similar to the Deer Hunter SE complaints above), and I want to know if my disc is bad, or if the player will not read this title at all?
Might be the disc. I now have four PAL discs: Raging Bull: SE (R4), Angel Heart: SE (R2), 24 Hour Party People: SE (R2), and The Deer Hunter: SE (R2). Every single disc plays with no problems except for The Deer Hunter, which the player will not read at all.