Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

once again no luck- Sophie Marceau's L'ETUDIANTE

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, little by little the most wanted movies from my VHS library are coming out in France and of course some of the best ones are without subs. Latest case:

L'ETUDIANTE- coming on 6/11/03

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/dvd.php?id=7727
Old 04-29-03, 07:48 AM

well, if L'Etudiante is one of the most wanted movies from your VHS library ... you are really in love with mademoiselle Marceau!!

mdm67
Old 04-29-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

actually Isabelle Adjani is the one I adore so much (!!!!!!!) followed by Sophie Marceau, J.Binoche and E.Bouchez.

I.Huppert I like for the class and excellent performances followed by E.Beart.

S.Bonnaire I love for the great smile and warm voice.
Old 04-30-03, 08:07 AM

have you seen the last Adjani effort? is it worth seeing/buying?
as for upcoming french releases, I think
the Pialat box set is the one to own.

mdm67
Old 04-30-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

mmm...I dont know which one do you have in mind.

Bon Voyage (theatrical release) just came out in France (not in the States).
trailer is here:
http://www.allocine.fr/webtv/acvisio...on=1&BookMark=

Adolphie (DVD release) is suppose to come out in France on 05/28. No subs info yet but I am hoping that this one might get English subs (since it was shown during the Toronto Film Festival).
http://www.alapage.com/mx/?id=183301...ADOLPHE&sv=X_L

poster
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...8.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you however had in mind her latest DVD release LA REPENTIE, I have seen it and own the French disc which does not have subs but....I LIKE HER SO MUCH.
http://www.cinestore.com/html/fiche_...s.php?id=15488

so here you go!

By the way mu only hope is that the British will somehow release some of Marceau's and Adjani's early work. I dont think that we'll get it done here in the States (esp. La Boum).

If you're interested in Marceau I recommend you check out La Fidelite. It has English subs and I loved it.
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/tg/...#more-pictures

Now, as fas as the Pialat boxset...POLICE has been stated as not having English subs so are the few of the remaining films so...once again no luck.

I assume that you're British right? (Englnad should) Get all of the Marceau and Adjani films on DVD. Price does not matter. You guys are my only hope. I dont think the Canadians will do it....they are too slow. The Assusies are way behind with English spoken films anyway!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-30-03 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-01-03, 11:25 AM

I forgot she had worked so hard recently: the only one I had in mind was Adolphe. The french magazine Positif - my monthly bible - reviewed positively La Repentie but the french DVD market offers so much exciting titles in May, I can't buy 'em all

L'Homme du train Leconte's latest effort was in competition at Venice last year: great movie, derserved an award

Kaurismaki last year I hadn't the chance to see this one in theaters and for me is one of the most important releases of the year

then there is the Pialat box set - Police, A nos amours and Van Gogh - are great movies, especially the last title.
Not to mention Le fils by the Dardenne brothers, Une femme de ménage and a lot of interesting releases still.

as for mdm67 he's Italian
Old 05-02-03, 04:01 PM

one more intersting release by Artificial Eye
Monday Morning-Lundi Matin this movie was awarded best movie last year in Berlin, in the past I wrote about the italian release, but this one will be more interesting for a lot of people having english subs.

mdm67
Old 05-03-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

mdm67...THANK you so much for the info. I will perhaps look into this title.

I am aware of all of the above titles but...they will not include subs so...that is pretty sad.

So, you are Italian? Maybe I could ask you a question then (though I did ask Hendrik before as there was so much that was unclear). Do you know if the SANDOKAN trilogy, which is currently available in Holland (and on a double set in Italy) is available anywhere with English subs? The original track is Italian and a number of sites indicated when the title first came out that it had English subs...later on it turn out to be a hoax. I own the Dutch set but was wondering if there was indeed another release with subs?

Thank you so much......
Old 05-03-03, 07:43 AM

This is all I know about Sandokan

unreliable information

dutch edition and I think we have to wait until the right edition will be released, alas the italian DVD market stinks, this is one of the most successful italian TV series ever and RAI - the italian broadcasting company who produced the series - doesn't release it on DVD...

Recommendation of the day Dog Days if your cinematographic taste appreciates the likes of Werner Herzog you're gonna love this one by Ulrich Seidl.

mdm67
Old 05-03-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

mdm67 Thank you for the info again...I am planning to pick upi the first release you pointed out as there are English subs (or so it is indicated). The probelm is that the etailer does not ship to the States. I will have to find another source.

O, thank you for the other recommendation...it is actually available in the US...it is pretty decent film though not something I would like to own. My taste is more on the French side...there seem to be so many great titles coming out lately and.....sadly without subs.