Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Difference Between R2 & R4 Scream?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-11-03, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had heard that the R2 Japan release is the way it should be, all the fun gore and such. The R4 being the tame version we have here in the states...except for the DTS. So, is that true?

R2 Japan

R4 Australia

Old 04-11-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
The picture on the Region 2 Japan DVD is not very good, and you only get about <1 min of added footage that you won't really notice anyway. The Region 4 DVD is loaded with extra's and has DTS, the picture IMHO is much better also. BTW I have the Region 4 DVD and sold the Japan one....
Old 04-11-03, 10:26 PM

The deleted footage in the unrated cut in total is only 20 seconds! But IMO it does make a difference. while the R2 Jap disc is good to have that version, it suffers from bad compression artifacts due to having both versions on one dual layer disc and add to that, the Dolby Digital track is horribly compressed being at a 320kbps bitrate. I'd say if your a fan of the film, pick up both discs, I would personally say that besides missing the footage, the R4 is the superior release...
Old 04-12-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys, think I will go with the ol' reliable R4. Gonna give that Liar Liar DTS & Karate Kid collection a look at as well.