Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One & only Malata 520 advice thread [Part Two]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

One & only Malata 520 advice thread [Part Two]

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-04, 08:19 AM
apl
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried the "Video Mode" settings (movie, still, smart, camera)? I find on the Malata I need to switch these on a disc to disc basis. Sometimes I get the jumpy letterbox/subtitle thing, sometimes the horizontal blocky thing. On some discs you have to decide which is the least annoying and sometimes the Mode setting gets rid of both problems. Hope that helps.
apl
Old 02-06-04, 10:06 AM

Jeez, just bring the thing back and buy a Philips 727... no problems, better made, simple hack fixes it to see any Region. Don't believe me? Do a search here on the 727.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-04, 07:56 PM
Cool New Member

Malata DVP-520 Problem

Hi,

My DVD Palyer was hook into mt Toshiba TV via Component Cables so I set the DVD Video Output menu to the component setting. My TV has to be repaired so I have to hook the player up to an older TV that doesn't have componet inputs, only S Video and coaxial video inputs. Now I only have sound, not picture and I can't change the video output settings on the Malata player because I can't see them. Is there any way to restore default setting to the player so I can get a picture?
Old 07-08-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
doesn't the malata lose its settings when unplugged for a few minutes?
Old 07-09-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A similar thing happened to me. I believe that the manual has a section for how to restore the defaults using the remote (even if you can't see any picture).
Old 07-09-04, 07:02 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks Peep. It was in the manual. I looked it over when it first happened but must have skipped over that paragraph.
All you have to do to restore Factory setting is hold ther Subpicture button down for about five seconds.
Old 07-09-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by constantine
Thanks Peep. It was in the manual. I looked it over when it first happened but must have skipped over that paragraph.
All you have to do to restore Factory setting is hold ther Subpicture button down for about five seconds.
When I first lost my picture, it really freaked me out. I was very happy to stumble upon this myself.
Old 07-09-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Happened to me too with the 996. I read every word of the manual until I found the fix.
Old 07-24-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Malta DVDP-520 has (maybe) died! Help me!

So I go to play The Big Lebowski the other day on my DVD player.

Disc loads.

Still loads.

"No disc"

Hmm. So I try another DVD.

Same again.

I try another couple of DVDs. Same deal.

I try a CD. The CD works! So I try a DVD again, and... nothing.

So, what's wrong with my machine? Is there some chip or circuit board fried, or something? I think it's odd that the DVD player itself is shot, but still plays CDs perfectly. The DVP-520 isn't made anymore so I don't know what it will cost to fix.

So, what's wrong with it? Would it be hard to fix? Who would I go to?
Old 07-24-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you tried unplugging it. Sometimes that works but you have to leave it uplugged for a while so it can reset itself. I've had the Malata N996 for a few years now and luckily it hasn't died yet.

Try this site you may find an answer there:

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

Last edited by mrhan; 07-24-04 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-24-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where did you buy it? HKFlix? If so, email them and they'll troubleshoot possibly.
Old 12-15-04, 07:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
So I go to play The Big Lebowski the other day on my DVD player.

Disc loads./ Still loads. / "No disc"

Hmm. So I try another DVD.

Same again.

I try another couple of DVDs. Same deal.

I try a CD. The CD works! So I try a DVD again, and... nothing.

So, what's wrong with my machine? Is there some chip or circuit board fried, or something? I think it's odd that the DVD player itself is shot, but still plays CDs perfectly. The DVP-520 isn't made anymore so I don't know what it will cost to fix.

So, what's wrong with it? Would it be hard to fix? Who would I go to?
I've been having this same problem. I've had the player for 2 years now, and about 3 or so months ago, it started randomly rejecting discs it had played many times before ("Major Disc Error, please replace me..."). Then a month ago it just stopped reading all DVDs. The closest it has come since was when I put in a region 2 DVD, and it threw the picture into a pink/purple spinning loop, but never got past the first frame's of the copyright notice. It tried a laser cleaning disc, which it read, but did nothing towards fixing it. any thoughts?
Old 12-15-04, 10:48 PM
Banned

WARNING:

I thought I was having some big problems with my TV that I just got: 51" Toshiba. Turns out, the Malata is A LOT brighter than anything else. I had to turn the brightness down 15 clicks in order to not turn my entire screen a reddish haze. Problem never happened with my other DVD player/recorder.
Old 12-18-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My 520 just locked up and will not open. My new Sword in the Moon disc is trapped inside of it. Any suggestions?
Old 12-21-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by indycohiba
My 520 just locked up and will not open. My new Sword in the Moon disc is trapped inside of it. Any suggestions?
Well, I bought the DVP 558 and I could not be more disappointed to find out the zoom does not allow you to correct overscan. Why in the hell did they discontinue the 520 and not have a comparable replacement!