Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Goddard's "Breathless" dvd help!?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-19-03, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the best dvd to get for it(any region)? 'cause the R1 disc has NO extras(just a lame commentary). help'll be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by wildzero84; 03-19-03 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-19-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Um... Well Breathless was SHOT in Academy Ratio (aka FULL FRAME) so you won't find it in widescreen.

The R2 disc is probably the best version with several extras:

Photo Gallery
Poster Gallery
Theatrical Trailer
Trailer for 1983 remake
Production Notes
'Charlotte Et Son Jules': A short film by Jean-Luc Godard

I've got the R1 and it's good enough for me, especially since you can get it fairly cheap.

Next time you have a similar question, try this site:

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk
Old 03-20-03, 03:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the r1 and "upgraded" to the r2 which is only somewhat better, but better nonetheless.
Old 03-20-03, 03:43 AM

Get the UK disc -it's remastered apparently from a French source (no doubt it will be re-remastered again sometime) and it's cheap. There's a French disc and it's no better than that -although the French disc is even cheaper (no English subtitles) if you can find it.

Reviews here and here of the UK disc. Those reviews may seem negative on picture quality but that's the best I've ever seen the film and I'm not sure how it could be improved that much more.

DVD artwork
Old 03-20-03, 05:57 AM

BTW, if I had the Region 1 disc I'd not bother changing it for the UK disc -there's no amazing difference and from the review here of the Region 1 and the screen grabs I've seen there's no point -unless you can find it cheaper.
Old 03-20-03, 09:48 AM

Sorry... there is a substantial difference between the R2 UK transfer and the Fox Lorber R1... The Digitally Obsessed Review of Fox Lorber referenced above graded the image transfer "A". Clearly the reviewer doesn't have a clue. The UK transfer came from 35mm elements, the Fox Lorber came from 16mm elements. The Fox Lorber is soft and green with muddy blacks. The UK is sharp with nice overall contrast ratio from black to white. IMO this is not even a discussion - If you can play multi-region/standard the UK or the French (no subs) edition is the way to go.

BTW I had the Fox Lorber and gladly sold it after seeing image quality of the UK edition.

Last edited by bhomatude; 03-20-03 at 09:58 AM.