Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

A reminder on copyright/bootleg & other issues

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-03, 07:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would all posters to International DVD Talk, new and old, please note that the DVDTalk.com forums are not the place to discuss the manner in which you or others might choose privately to distribute orpurchase copyright material in contravention with the wishes of the owners of such material [or their agents].

Please don't be tempted to push the envelope. Geoff, the site owner, has posted about DVD bootlegging and other members may be aware that various longstanding "fudges" finally have had to be set aside. There is also the marked possibility that posting privileges will be suspended where the Forum Rules have been ignored.

The copyright-related rules are not something new: in instances where suspected copyright-breach was noticed, admins and moderators were editing/deleting Napster (and similar) threads in the Other forum way back when: members posting/reading regularly in that forum will probably recall this happening.... likewise with bootleg threads here in time past.

Where there has been a change of focus is that, on June 5th. last year Geoff made a general statement in the Feedback Forum thread entitled "Condoning Bootleg DVDs":
"While I am not crazy about the way in which this issue was brought up or the tone of the accusations flung around it. I have taken a look at our policy and going forward here's our new policy:

- NO bootleg discussion threads."
Leading up to this, while the debate was still proceeding, I was posting warnings both here and in the Music Talk forum to give people the chance to remind themselves, if they had forgotten, just where the boundaries lay and what the sanctions for crossing them could be.

Whether or not one cares sufficiently to read and/or respect the rules under which the site operates here they are:
The following is strictly prohibited on the DVD Talk Forum and may result in immediate account suspension:
• Posting Information on how to defraud any company or promotion of any kind of illegal or unethical activity
• Anything that violates the trademark or copyright of another company including anything that may violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
I am posting this reminder because there have been a couple of infringements here in the past week and it seems that it is now required. Suspensions may well follow if such infringements continue.

Thanks to all in advance for your understanding and co-operation.

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk
Old 03-16-03, 07:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Concerning "threadcraps"....

New members and, er.... others may be unaware of the following which I have cribbed shamelessly from an excellent document composed by Static Cling
What is a threadcrap?

A "threadcrap" is a term we've come to use here at DVD Talk for a post (usually negative) that is off the topic of the thread in which it is posted, or criticizes/ridicules the thread starter or the thread itself. Threadcraps usually have no reasoning behind them, but this is not always the case. This definition is not meant to be all inclusive, but it is meant to give you a general idea of what the term means. Ultimately, the moderators hold the final word on what is or is not a threadcrap.

Can you give me an example?

One commonly seen threadcrap is someone posting that "___________ is a crappy DVD/movie" in a thread dedicated to information about the DVD release. The point of the thread isn't really to discuss the quality of the story, but to discuss the availability of the DVD etc

Another commonly seen threadcrap is quoting someone else's post and saying "that's a stupid thing to say." If you think someone is wrong, point out the correct information or provide your interpretation of events without attacking the other person.

What's the big deal about threadcraps?

The purpose of the DVD Talk Forum is discussion. Threadcraps interfere with the flow of discussion. Something that goes against the purpose of the forum and rudely interrupts a discussion between members has no place on this forum.

What should I do if I think I see a threadcrap?

1. Don't reply to it with a snide (or otherwise) remark. Although it's often fun , it just leaves more for moderators to clean up afterwards. And since it's a reply to an off-topic comment, the reply itself is probably off-topic, so it doesn't belong in the thread either.

2. Do click on the "Report this post to a moderator" link that is in the post. An e-mail will be sent the moderators of the forum, and they will decide on what action to take. This could be anywhere from nothing (if the post is actually on-topic) to a suspension or banning (for repeat offenders), or anything in between.

------------------------------

Appendix

What do I do if I feel that one of my posts was wrongly deleted as a threadcrap?

1. Don't post about it in the thread. It's possible that the moderator who deleted your post will never read that thread again, so he won't see your concern and/or complaint. In addition, if the first post wasn't off topic, this second post about the first post definitely is.

2. If you'd like, do e-mail that moderator directly about the post. You are much, much more likely to get a response if you send an e-mail to the moderator.
PS: Simple criticism, especially constructive criticism, does not in and of itself necessarily constitute a threadcrap: there is no intention to stifle open and honest debate; merely to discourage contentless sniping and the like.

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk
Old 04-17-03, 03:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

Peep asked about DVD "screeners" and at the time I had no knowledge yet of a policy on which to advise him/anyone concerning whether they were a fit topic for discussion.

Thus far there is little to add except, perhaps, to point to threads on other DVD Talk forums that make reference to these items and to observe that this suggests that nothing has yet been officially determined such as would make them "off-limits".

I understand that screeners are not items that should be sold or traded to anyone other than the original intended recipient - so maybe that should be borne in mind during any discussions. That and the International flavo(u)r of this forum, of course.