Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Korean movie recommendations [Part Deux]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Korean movie recommendations [Part Deux]

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone actually seen the DVD of Chihwaseon yet? Are the extras really good, and are they subtitled too?
Old 01-26-03, 01:02 AM

mlindber,

I just finished watching Saving My Hubby. Overall, the laughs worked, moreso than recent comedies like Jungle Juice and Marrying the Mafia. Bae Doo-na plays a former volleyball star, now frustrated-to-tears housewife that is trying to make the best out of one of the worst nights of her life, the least of which involves con-men, Jopok gangsters, her hopelessly drunk husband, and worst of all, her in-laws. Bae Doo-na carries the movie well and is really funny in this role, although the zaniness of her husband's drunken antics almost steals the show.
Old 01-26-03, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by mlindber
Also, another good one to see is Chihwaseon, directed by Im Kwon-taek. I believe it is the first DVD of any of his movies to be released in Korea (even though he's done many, many films).

I really enjoyed the movie when I saw it in a theater. The director was also present during the screener, but I didn't get a chance to ask him any good questions.
Martin Scorsese likes Chihwaseon too.....
Old 02-03-03, 07:19 AM

Lover's Concerto

Directed by 1st timer Lee Han and starring Cha Tae-Hyun (My Sassy Girl), Lee Eun-Ju (Bungee Jumping Of Their Own), Son Ye-Jin (Chihwaseon and The Classic), the film is marketed like another teenage romantic comedy which it largely is. However, Korean romances are leaps and bounds ahead of any others I have seen and this is another excellent example.

The film works its magic right from the start and I will admit to blubbing not once but twice in the movie the ending is very special ... good word of mouth should carry this film to greater heights and I whole heartedly recommend this to everyone.

Excellent!

Old 02-04-03, 04:43 PM
MiK
Cool New Member

Wholeheartedly agree, cirrus. I also cried my eyes out at the end. Beautiful film.
Old 02-19-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Any more recommendations? I hope to be placing a 8-10 disc order soon. Thanks for the reviews!
Old 02-19-03, 09:46 PM

I saw Marrying the Mafia a few weeks ago in VHS. it was hilarious & I am going to pick up a copy of DVD. i highly recommend it. it's $24.95 at DVDASIAN.COM. Region 3 only.

The Best Selling Films of 2002

Domestic Films Nationwide Seoul Release Weeks
1. "Marrying the Mafia" 5,021,001 1,550,943 Sep 13 10
2. "The Way Home" 4,091,000 1,588,700 Apr 5 11
3. "Public Enemy" 2,987,900 1,161,500 Jan 25 8
4. "Jail Breakers" 2,843,644 1,014,841 Nov 21 5*
5. "Wet Dreams" 2,432,950 759,340 Nov 6 7*
6. "2009 Lost Memories" 2,263,800 882,400 Feb 1 6
7. "Phone" 2,182,915 742,907 Jul 26 6
8. "Champion" 1,770,000 567,000 Jun 28 5
9. "Lovers' Concerto" 1,625,013 584,070 Sep 13 6
10. "YMCA Baseball Team" 1,483,300 617,000 Oct 2 6

It's feet alright except one's slim and milky white while the other is hairy and ugly. "What the heck happened?" This is the plea of KIM Jung-eun, who just woke up next to a total stranger, JUNG Joon-ho. Jung-eun half jokes about being nervous when she says, 'It's my first bed scene'. Joon-ho adds to that by telling the staff to take their clothes off too in his charming manner, blaming the hot weather. Immediately after the cue, Joon-ho gets right into work by jumping into bed with Jung-eun. Jung-eun and Joon-ho, whose bed scene took an entire night will make a statement as one of few comic bed scenes this year.

"ARE YOU THINKING TOM CRUISE? WRONG. IT'S YOO DONG-GEUN^^;"
A square elevator shaft. There's a man barely hanging on a rope with plans to control the elevator. Hung upside down, he carefully lands himself safely on the elevator top. You're probably picuturing Tom Cruise from ? Wrong! It's YOO Dong-geun from "Marrying the Mafia". Triple J brothers' operation No. 2. Get Jung-eun and Joon-ho closer in a closed space. Let out a snake while at it. YOO Dong-geun received special training and stretching lessons before shooting the scene. Putting on the SWOT uniform, he completed the risk prone action scene by himself without any stunt doubles. It was more challenging than riding on a horse back, shooting bow and arrows. Let's see if he'll take on an action movie next?

Inside a dark elevator. The LCD screen of a cell phone casts light on JUNG Joon-ho and KIM Jung-eun's faces when something drops from the ceiling out of nowhere. With a shout of "Oh my god!", there it is, a three foot long snake squirming in the elevator. Surprisingly, Jung-eun is not at all startled by the snake, when Joon-ho is scared to death by it. This was a real life behind-the-scenes situation. Scared actors and cautious staff members with their gloves on were simply awed by Jung-eun's dull response to the fearsome snake. YOO Dong-geun, who drops the snake adds to that by caressing the snake and kissing it. The actor and actress entertained the staff with their fearless handling of the snake throughout the shoot.

A parking lot of a desolate park. Shy JIN Hee-kyung and YOO Dong-gen. "Don't you love me, Ms. Won?" This is when a woman equipped with glasses and a trench coat suddenly appears out of the blue. Resembling Keanu Reeves from The Matrix is RYU Hae-jung who plays YOO Dong-geun's angry wife. She's ticked off by YOO Dong-geun's attempted affair with an elementary school teacher JIN Hee-kyung. But the scene won't come easy. Digressing from the director's usual 3 take policy, this scene took up 10 takes.

My name is PARK Dae-suh, CEO of a promising tech startup. One morning when I woke, next to me was a naked woman named Jin-kyung. Tough luck on my behalf, she turned out to be the daughter of Triple J, a living crime legend. I don't recall much from that night, but Jin-kyung's brothers came and threatened me to marry her. That's not the end of the story. They broke into my house and told me that I should meet Triple J. Someone's gotta help me!

We are the three brothers from the legendary crime family, Triple J. Our family has both money and power, but there's one thing missing. Scholarship. But things ere starting to look bright. We found an eligible bachelor fresh out of Seoul National University's law school who's now a CEO at a respected tech startup. We just need to somehow make him a part of our family. PARK Dae-suh! You are our family's honor!

CHRACTERS

JANG Jin-kyung / KIM Jung-eun

"What do I do now…what the hell did you do to me? You pervert~" Beloved princess daughter of the infamous crime family, Triple J. Jin-kyung was raised by her father and three violent brothers who loves her more than anything in the world. She accidentally spends a night with a stranger whereby her brothers start forcing marriage on them. What will she do next?

Falling in love with feature films after her appearance in , she expects to take her film career to another level through "Marrying the Mafia".

PARK Dae-suh / JUNG Joon-ho

"You want me to marry someone all over a one night stand?"
Seoul National University educated elite CEO. He grew up under a father that served as a colonel in the army. His life is on a collision course just because of this woman whom he woke up next to.

JANG In-tae / Yoo Dong-geun

The eldest brother of the Triple J family. He's always busy spending time, taking care of business, the family, and his wife, not to mention his affair with a teacher from his son's school. But his undying love for his princess sister remains strong. He's determined to make Dae-suh his brother in law.

His first comedy peformance.
Old 02-22-03, 11:38 PM

There's a mini Korean film festival going on in HK at the moment at the Broadway Cinematique (arthouse). All the films they are showing are already available on Korean DVD.

I watched 2 films (mainly because it was what was showing on saturday evening, which is the only time I am free and a friend happen to want to see 2 Korean films which I haven't yet seen ... believe it or not ).

Bad Guy

Kim Ki-duk does it again a very graphic portrayal of a love that is way outside societies norms. The plot is illogical but were talking Kim ki Duk here and I can only compare it to the other Kim Ki-duk film I have seen. The expressions of Love and hate are just as extreme as that found in The Isle with everything filmed for maximum visual impact :norty: ... Where the isle relies on the beautiful and unique backdrop of the "fishing boats" ... The Bad Guy gives you a street full of colourful prostitutes which I have to say is just as eye catching ... If you ever wondered what it was like to spy on someone you "love" doing the deed with strangers for your "pleasure" then The bad guy offers you a view into this world.

More watchable and accessible than The Isle and Kim ki-duk has notched himself up my scale of good film-makers.

Chiwaseon

Korean cinema legend Im kwon Taek has been making quality Korean cinema for so long its a surprise he has been so ignored until the recent boom of korean films.

Chiwaseon is easy to describe ... think Andrei Rublyov and you basically have a carbon copy but with more actual expressions of art which I felt made Andrei rublyov a tad meandering. Professionally film with great attention to period detail which I actually felt was more interesting than the artist himself as until now Korean history was a blank in my historical knowledge. Beautiful expressions of art is depicted through the rise and fall of a peasant artist who became Korea's most famous 19th century artist.

The above plus points in Chiwaseon is what every film about artists should contain but trying to perfect the drawings and the historical details left little for character development as a whole lifetime of artistic creations and character development is forced wedged into 2 hours. Choi Min-sik tries to make the most of the material he has but there is too much character intereactions to work on ... the best bits where the artists releationship with the beggar boy he adopted and with his master who did the same when he was an orphan beggar too.
Old 02-24-03, 12:52 PM

I just saw YMCA Baseball Team last night. A fun little movie. Nothing too spectacular, but I enjoyed it.
Old 02-25-03, 09:27 PM

Just placed my first order, thanks for the the recommendations.

The Way Home
My Sassy Girl
Joint Security Area
Guns And Talks (dts)
My Boss My Hero
Failan
Friend
Memento Mori
Attack The Gas Station
One Fine Spring Day
Happy End
The Isle
The Quiet Family
Musa
Lover's Concerto
Sympathy for Mr. Vengence

Last edited by J-Dubya; 02-25-03 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Musa -- most excellent
Bichunmoo -- good; I'd say second best
Shiri -- good
Memento Mori -- okay

Seeing this post reminds me: I still need to watch Failan! It's been sitting around here for a while. I've also got an interesting animated film--My Beautiful Girl Mari--which is supposed to be good.

Oh, and Dream of a Warrior, I think it is called, is pretty cool.

Last edited by aeron; 02-25-03 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 11:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by J-Dubya
Just placed my first order, thanks for the the recommendations.

The Way Home
My Sassy Girl
Joint Security Area
Guns And Talks (dts)
My Boss My Hero
Failan
Friend
Memento Mori
Attack The Gas Station
One Fine Spring Day
Happy End
The Isle
The Quiet Family
Musa
Lover's Concerto
Sympathy for Mr. Vengence

No 'Il Mare'? that's one of the best, also 'Ditto'
Old 03-01-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay so here's my temp top ten Korean film list:

1. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
2. The Quiet Family
3. Chihwaseon
4. Oasis
5. JSA
6. Attack The Gas Station
7. Nowhere To Hide
8. Friend
9. Bad Guy
10. Take Care of My Cat

I've still have quite a few good Korean films to watch such as Turning Gate, Il Mare, Failan, Christmas In August, Peppermint Candy, Barking Dogs Never Bite, The Way Home, Sorum and a few others... Needless to say I'll keep updating the list. I also need to revisit some of the films I watched a while ago.
Old 03-03-03, 04:12 PM

Where do you guys usually buy your Korean DVDs? I have read the overview threads....but I do not see any recommendations in terms of:

Price
Customer Service
Shipping Time

Please let me know...sorry for the off topic post.
Old 03-03-03, 05:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by murpm3
Where do you guys usually buy your Korean DVDs? I have read the overview threads....but I do not see any recommendations in terms of:

Price
Customer Service
Shipping Time

unfortunately if you cant find it at dddhouse or hivizone, you'll probably have to pay $$$ for it elsewhere. yesasia.com, etc
Old 03-03-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dvdasian and poker industries is where I primarily get all mine... If you get them at Poker make sure you buy $75 so you can get free shipping and use a 10% coupon.
Old 03-03-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by murpm3

Price
Customer Service
Shipping Time

www.krdvd.com is a place to avoid apparently. DVDShelf.com is great. They have lots of Korean version DVDs as well. Good prices and customer service. They ship pretty quick.
Old 03-06-03, 07:22 AM

Personally I hear Yesasia and dvdasian as the best places to get Korean DVDs. I buy mine from Korea. dvd.co.kr but you have to know Korean or be very patient with a web translator.
Old 03-06-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cirrus888
Personally I hear Yesasia and dvdasian as the best places to get Korean DVDs. I buy mine from Korea. dvd.co.kr but you have to know Korean or be very patient with a web translator.
Wow - their prices seem pretty good. Do they ship to the US? What's their shipping prices like? Maybe I'll have my friend in Korea help me order from this site.
Old 03-07-03, 07:28 PM

yesasia is cool for Korean movies, they ship pretty fast and it's FREE if the dvd you're buying qualifies and you hit the $50 plateau. Plus they ship from US. Good customer service, all good stuff, HK dvd prices are competitive too.
Old 03-07-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Yesasia, dvdasian and dvdshelf for korean version dvds. Poker and HKflix as a last resort since their prices are wicked high. I might just start pestering my friend in Korea to order stuff for me since he could probably get it cheaper.
Old 03-08-03, 09:28 AM

dvd.co.kr do ship worldwide but remember you will have to add another US$5 - 8 for shipping ...
Old 03-08-03, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should be getting my dvd of The Isle anyday.
Old 03-10-03, 04:08 AM

I buy mine from dvdasian, azn films, or yesasia and also Mrkwang on ebay.

recent purchases
foul king
sympathy for mr vengeance
the eye
love letter
kick the moon
2009 lost memories
wanee & junah
take care of my cat
my sassy girl
Old 03-11-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recommend MY Sassy Girl the Director's Cut, nice feature packed 2 DVD set, even has easter eggs like US releases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.