Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hero DVD China Release question

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Hello Guys
I have a question that I hope some of you can help me confirm. The Hero DVD from China that is currently on the market that was released on February 20th and is quote "Official release authorized by Zhang Yimou" Is this title Region 6 or Region Free? Some sites are saying that this is a Region 6 release like Monkey Peaches and DDDHouse, but I have seen this title on Ebay saying that it's Region Free....Here's a link to one of the sellers:

Ex:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2289

I really want to get this title, but I need confirmation from someone that it's Region Free and not Region 6. Have any of you purchased this title? Does it work on your DVD player? Because I don't want to get burned by buying it and it doesn't work on my Region 1 player.

Let me know, any info what be helpful.
Old 03-01-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
yangshouwen mentions that the Mainland DVD is actually region-free in this thread:
http://pub5.ezboard.com/fhongkongdvd...art=41&stop=60

DDDhouse usually just uses the info that either the box or the distribution company gave them. They have the Avalon DVD listed as R3 on the site, even though I own it and it's region-free.
Old 03-01-03, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hero DVD

Just got a small shipment of these in on Friday. The disc is definitely region free. DVD decrypter reports it as regions 1-6. As long as you aren't playing it on an airline dvd player you'll be fine It's an authorized release distributed by Golden Face, who've done many Mainland releases in the past. Quality is suprirsingly decent as well, especially as I was watching it on the front projector at 72" wide. One caveat is that the opening and closing onscreen text in Chinese is not subtitled. Apart from that the subtitles were very well done.
Old 03-02-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Hero DVD

Originally posted by Furious
Just got a small shipment of these in on Friday. The disc is definitely region free. DVD decrypter reports it as regions 1-6. As long as you aren't playing it on an airline dvd player you'll be fine It's an authorized release distributed by Golden Face, who've done many Mainland releases in the past. Quality is suprirsingly decent as well, especially as I was watching it on the front projector at 72" wide. One caveat is that the opening and closing onscreen text in Chinese is not subtitled. Apart from that the subtitles were very well done.
This is good news. I hope to have my copy by next week.
Old 03-02-03, 02:29 PM

Re: Hero DVD

Originally posted by Furious
Hi, Furious

Where u bought you Hero DVD from?
i just bought from monkeypeaches.com week ago
but there is no any info and email to me after i paid,
i think i geta try another website
Old 03-02-03, 11:21 PM

a ming

a ming i am having the same experience, i even emailed them, and no response
Old 03-03-03, 11:25 AM

Its region free as I bought it Saturday and watched it. here is my take...its better then CTHD, but not as great as I expected. Maybe I expected too much. Anyways..it was shot great, awesome colors, the cinematography was gorgeous. Stunning visually.

Since its the China release there is no english anything on it...so I could not enjoy the making opf featuretter or anything else. being an American Born Chinese guy....man..its pathetic, I have to read all the subtitles too! So I could not enjoy all the extras. But the DVD sounds good...DTS on it....strong bass etc. Pretty good DVD overall.
Old 03-03-03, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by AsianImage
Its region free as I bought it Saturday and watched it. here is my take...its better then CTHD, but not as great as I expected. Maybe I expected too much. Anyways..it was shot great, awesome colors, the cinematography was gorgeous. Stunning visually.

Since its the China release there is no english anything on it...so I could not enjoy the making opf featuretter or anything else. being an American Born Chinese guy....man..its pathetic, I have to read all the subtitles too! So I could not enjoy all the extras. But the DVD sounds good...DTS on it....strong bass etc. Pretty good DVD overall.
If your disc gets DTS on it, it's a bootleg.
Old 03-03-03, 01:10 PM

So where can I get the official release? Should I grab one from the guy on ebay?
Old 03-03-03, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Raxel
If your disc gets DTS on it, it's a bootleg.
really??? let me check again..maybe its 5.1? It looks really official to me...all chinese, no english anywhere..except for the subtitles. It is super clean...let me check again tonight.
Old 03-03-03, 05:11 PM

wheres the monkey?

if you want to buy one, i think some people have ordered it from
http://english.av89.com/item.asp?id=cndvd73100

i emailed the guy on ebay, and he told me i would have to wait 1-2 weeks before it even shipped from hk, i might order one from this company myself if this monkeypeaches thing doesnt work out
Old 03-03-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there any more info, about the upcoming extended release? I bought it on VCD and enjoyed the movie enough to buy the dvd, but if there is an extended version coming out I'll wait for it.
Old 03-03-03, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by MrBob
Is there any more info, about the upcoming extended release? I bought it on VCD and enjoyed the movie enough to buy the dvd, but if there is an extended version coming out I'll wait for it.
Extended version won't be out until Apr.
Old 03-03-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
So there's gonna be a SE or what? Who's putting it out? Should I just get the VCD and wait for the SE DVD?
Old 03-03-03, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
So there's gonna be a SE or what? Who's putting it out? Should I just get the VCD and wait for the SE DVD?
Extended version will be out on Apr 1st (if it's not pushed back again). Then later on, there will be an collector's gift set or something like that.
Old 03-03-03, 08:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I can't wait any longer, going to buy one off Ebay. Tired of waiting for DVD's that keeps getting pushed back.
Old 03-03-03, 08:56 PM

ebayy

yeah ebay might not be a bad idea, i just spoke to someone who recieved theres from the ebay guy, im still waiting like a monkey for monkeypeaches
Old 03-03-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Raxel
Extended version will be out on Apr 1st (if it's not pushed back again). Then later on, there will be an collector's gift set or something like that.
I hope that's the date. I will be heading to HK in a few weeks.
Old 03-03-03, 09:18 PM

Re: wheres the monkey?

Originally posted by MassaCure
if you want to buy one, i think some people have ordered it from
http://english.av89.com/item.asp?id=cndvd73100

i emailed the guy on ebay, and he told me i would have to wait 1-2 weeks before it even shipped from hk, i might order one from this company myself if this monkeypeaches thing doesnt work out
Hi MassaCure

Does the guy is the same guy who sell DVD in the "Monkey" Website? so , u mean we need to wait at least two weeks for receive DVD? anyway....that's really bad !!
Old 03-04-03, 12:52 AM

the states

nah i might have misinterpreted his email, i spoke to my friend who ordered from him and he recieved it today, there is another guy on ebay who claims to have them and shipping them from the states

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...314773819&rd=1

if i do hear from monkeypeaches by tommorrow ill probly try him
Old 03-04-03, 12:53 AM

monkeying around

and no its not the same guy from monkey peaches, monkey peaches has never responded to my emails, and i have sent 3, i have no idea when i will recieve my dvd from them and i have no idea if i will recieve it
Old 03-04-03, 12:55 AM

no shrink

i just read and the guy in americas dvds arent shrink wrapped, im not sure what to make of that, but someone also suggested this company to me

store.fivestarlaser.com/
Old 03-04-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bit the bullet and got it off ebay.
hopefully i wont get screwed
Old 03-04-03, 11:34 AM

Re: no shrink

Originally posted by MassaCure
i just read and the guy in americas dvds arent shrink wrapped, im not sure what to make of that, but someone also suggested this company to me

store.fivestarlaser.com/
FIVESTAR LASER is where I got mine. they are local to me...so I just drive there and buy in bulk. They are great. So I dont think my DVD is a boot....I swear it looks legit. Anyways...thats the only place I go. Love them.
Old 03-04-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DDDHouse now has the following description:

Price: DVD - $60.0 (HK dollars)

DVD Subtitles : Chinese, English
DVD Audio : Dolby Digital Surround 5.1
DVD Region/Format : All Code, NTSC, Widescreen

Description: DVD is China version with limit [sic] stock.

=====================
Thats about $7.70 (plus $4 shipping). The per disc shipping costs go down as you order more items.

I just made a purchase at DDDHouse, so I'll probably wait a little before ordering this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.