Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hero DVD China Release question

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Hero DVD China Release question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I see, thanks indy. I definitely should not be looking for LOTR caliber transfer on this one. I'm starting to believe more and more that I have the official one, though I only picked it up for $10! The subtitles work fine, if has all the animated scene selection things. Dolby digital comes up fine. They don't usually invest such effort into a bootleg do they?

I'm not accustomed to buying asian DVDs so I'll just list a few more things I found 'fishy' and see if it raises any red flags with anyone who knows exactly what to look for:

-inside of case is plain black, no paper inserts of any kind. disc art though looks surprisingly professional and is matching with pic I saw of the 'official' one

-as said before, image quality isn't terrible but was expecting a little better. the part in the front of the DVD when the various logo animations for different companies play looks truly atrocious. I know it doesn't much matter but it definitely didn't help lighten my suspicions.

-Chuck
Old 03-10-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I ordered the DVD from DDDhouse last night along with a few other things I had been waiting to order (some Steven Chow, Guns and Talks, Ring Virus, etc). Hero was back in stock for maybe an hour when I put in my order. I checked back 2 hours later for a friend, and it was OOS again...DDDHouse must be getting hammered (probably the dvdtalk effect...LOL).
Old 03-11-03, 05:54 AM

Is it anamorphic?
Old 03-11-03, 11:20 AM

http://www.pokerindustries.com/poker...VD&showdetails

This is from a trustworthy seller,
the DVD is way overpriced but it is the official release

I never shopped from here before, but they do have
the HK release for pre-order

http://sensasian.com/cgi-bin/sensasi...t/View/V6370-D
Old 03-11-03, 11:49 AM

I got the bootleg from Malaysia. The DTS track doesn't have anything coming out of the center channel. It's a definite bootleg, but dual layered. When you hit play, the English subtitles are default. However, if you choose Chinese subtitles, it goes to a different version of the movie. This appears to have been taken from the VCD and has chinese subtitles burned into the image, which is only 1.85:1. If you choose other subtitles, it goes to a version that's been cropped to 2.35:1 and enhanced for 16x9 televisions. The subtitles are in the bottom bar and occasionally you can see the very tops of the original chinese subtitles. The image on the cropped version is different though, it's less pixelated, but not as sharp. I should have waited for the legit release, but after watching it, I don't think I care. Perhaps the translation was bad. There was a scene where there were no subtitles at all. I didn't really find the movie that entertaining and definitely much less so than Zhang Yimou's previous films. I think this is something that needs to be seen theatrically. I definitely like CTHD better.
Old 03-11-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well maybe buying an official release might make you like the movie better.
Old 03-11-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Beowulf99
I don't see the DVD of Hero on DDDHouse, just the VCD...

http://www.dddhouse.com/cms/dddhouse...productID=2792

I searched on both "Jet Li" and "Hero" and that's all I came up with. Got a link?

Dave
that is the cover that is on my friend hero dvd.
Old 03-11-03, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by the_dude8
that is the cover that is on my friend hero dvd.
Then he got a bootleg. The cover is only for HK VCD version, DVD version hasn't released yet. Legit R6 release has much better A/V quality than your bootleg version.
Old 03-11-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Raxel
Then he got a bootleg. The cover is only for HK VCD version, DVD version hasn't released yet. Legit R6 release has much better A/V quality than your bootleg version.
The dvd has been officially released and that is the cover. the Dc hasen't been released yet though.
Old 03-11-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The legit release is NOT region 6. I just tried it out on my unmodded PC DVD drive and it plays fine.

Last edited by Electric2k; 03-11-03 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
The dvd has been officially released and that is the cover. the Dc hasen't been released yet though.
NO, the DVD with this cover is a bootleg. HK DVD hasn't been released, only VCD is out and it has this cover. The DVD released in China has a different cover than this one. HK DVD release date is Mar 28th.

Old 03-11-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Geez...can I say that I don't really care if I got the legit or bootleg at this point? I just want to see the damn movie, and I like dddhouse.com, so screw it. I beg your pardon, but I don't care what any of you has to say about the DVD's in my collection...know what I mean?
Old 03-11-03, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
Geez...can I say that I don't really care if I got the legit or bootleg at this point? I just want to see the damn movie, and I like dddhouse.com, so screw it. I beg your pardon, but I don't care what any of you has to say about the DVD's in my collection...know what I mean?
Don't worry, no one cares what dvd is in your collection. well at least, not me. I wasn't replying to your post either.
Old 03-12-03, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

when i look at the underside of the dvd, the inner ring, there is a hologram word hero there. does the legit version have the hologram word hero? thanks
Old 03-12-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2289

That link is to a guy who is selling it for 15 bucks shipped and he has lots in stock. (his shipping price is way higher than the price of the item).
Old 03-12-03, 11:23 AM

DVD9 and limited collector gift set are both released. they are both theatrical cut, 98min long.

But they use higher bitrate and have DTS audio.
Old 03-12-03, 11:32 AM

Anyone selling them yet?
Old 03-12-03, 03:57 PM

DVD9 and limited collector gift set are both released. they are both theatrical cut, 98min long.
Are we sure about this? per Monkeypeaches, the DVD9 version is going to be the 120 min. version.

How much more confusing can this get?
J
Old 03-12-03, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by joelgee
Are we sure about this? per Monkeypeaches, the DVD9 version is going to be the 120 min. version.

How much more confusing can this get?
J
I have them in hand now. Monkeypeaches' news comes from those Chinese newspaper, sometime it's not that accurate.
Old 03-12-03, 04:28 PM

is the Edko HK release the theatrical or extended director's cut?
Old 03-12-03, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by iskandam
is the Edko HK release the theatrical or extended director's cut?
The first version will be theatrical cut for sure.
Old 03-13-03, 10:14 AM

But they use higher bitrate and have DTS audio.
What is the difference between the limited collector gift set and the DVD9 release?

Also, since they're both the theatrical cut, have you heard anything about the possibility of an extended cut being made available in either mainland or HK? It seems you have a pretty good source for this info.

skokefoe.
Old 03-13-03, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by skokefoe
What is the difference between the limited collector gift set and the DVD9 release?

Also, since they're both the theatrical cut, have you heard anything about the possibility of an extended cut being made available in either mainland or HK? It seems you have a pretty good source for this info.

skokefoe.
Difference is limited collector gift set has a nice boxset and collector booklet, it's also signed by director Zhang YiMou. It's said it's limited to 3,000 copies. But I can't confirm that, because there's no serial no. on the box.

Extended cut will be released sooner or later. But companies need to get enough money on theatrical cut. This is the first time, the two companies in China paid real big money for the distribution rights on a movie. So they want to be well paid back. Same as in HK, don't expect extended verison will be released soon after the 98min version.

It's all about money.
Old 03-13-03, 11:51 AM

Are these for sale anywhere yet?
Old 03-13-03, 12:38 PM

www.dvdshelf.com has a dts version for preorder but its a two disc version. Is the new dts version one or two discs?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.