Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

R3 Army of Darkness excels any Anchor Bay release.

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

R3 Army of Darkness excels any Anchor Bay release.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R3 Army of Darkness beats the crap out of any Anchor Bay release.

Ok, I really HAD to start a new thread about this. Every AOD fan should read what I just read over at the deadites.net forum.

As you may or may not know MGM currently own the rights to Army Of Darkness in most foreign territories. They have been restoring the director's cut using original film elements, unlike Anchor Bay which used video footage for some of the scenes.

This restored version is now available on Hong Kong Region 3 NTSC DVD, available from www.yesasia.com who ship worldwide.
I recently received a copy of this version, and I'm pleased to say it's outstanding.
The anomorphic picture is superb throughout unlike the Anchor Bay version which got murky and VHS-like at times. It has all the scenes included on the Anchor Bay Director's Cut disc. Not only that, but it contains a short scene of Evil Ash ripping off Sheila's clothing, which was cut from the Anchor Bay version. It has a 5.1 soundtrack and all the extras from the Anchor Bay disc (commentary, deleted scenes, the s-mart ending & the trailer).

Even though the packaging quotes the time as 93mins, it actually runs well over 96mins, and is slightly longer than the Anchor Bay version. This is most complete version I have ever seen, and are likely to see.

It's a pity Anchor Bay couldn't get the extra footage in decent quality first time round, but if you want yet another cut of AOD, here it is:
Army of Darkness DVD
Old 02-18-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of the zillion editions out their, all are lesser then the R3 version?
Old 02-19-03, 02:40 AM

Wow, I bought the R3 Version for about $10 when I was in Taiwan. Haven't had a chance to check it out thought, guess I should.
Old 02-19-03, 08:39 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
finally!

I thought I was the only one who was extremely dissapointed in Anchor's famous AOD tin set. I only got it to see the director's cut and I have seen Madacy discs that look better than that. Despite the numerious re-issues from AB on AOD, the DC is always the same.

This is good news indeed - I may actually end up selling my AB limited edition set if this is as good as I think it is..(or at least the AB DC).
Old 02-19-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The problem with the Director's Cut, for me, will always be the exclusion of the line : "Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Sure it's cool to have the excessive blood/violence put back into the pit battle scene and the extended spookiness in the windmill, but everthing else I can do without, including the Rip Van Winkle ending. The S-Mart ending of the theatrical cut is just too funny.

"Lady... I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store."
"Who the hell are you?"
"Name's Ash.... Housewares."
Old 02-19-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Is YesAsia the only place that sells this?? I already have the 2 DVD set of this but with a better video and sound I maybe interested in repurchasing if it were cheaper...
Old 03-06-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received my R3 NTSC Army of Darkness from yesasia yesterday. It was shipped to me out of San Francisco. I love it. It is everything I wished the often-repackaged Anchor Bay editions had been. No sudden inserts of grainy video footage. Very nice. Has all the extras, commentary I ever cared to have, put on one convenient disc. I knew that eventually I'd be glad I bought a high-quality region free player. Let the suckers have their inferior Boomstick edition! Thanks to everyone on this forum who made me aware of this edition.
Old 03-06-03, 02:09 PM

darqleo i so agree with you, that is the one reason i switch back and forth watching the directors cut and the US theatrical version
Old 03-07-03, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah kunert - my sentiments exactly - I didn't know this version was the shizzle till I read this thread. I just noticed it being sold at HK retailers and was like "meh, I already have 2 dvds of this"... after hearing about it here and seeing the screenshots, I had to pick this up. I ordered it from DVDShelf yesterday.
Old 03-07-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I ordered it from DVDShelf yesterday.
You and me both!

=)
Old 03-09-03, 06:21 PM

It is presently out of stock at YesAsia.com.

Anywhere else I can find this??
Old 03-09-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mr. Cornell
It is presently out of stock at YesAsia.com.

Anywhere else I can find this??
Yeah - read the thread.
Old 03-11-03, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to confirm, this is only the director's cut, right? If I want the theatrical cut, then I have to go with Anchor Bay, yes? The video quality on those discs are not inferior as well, are they?
Old 03-11-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by minguy
Just to confirm, this is only the director's cut, right? If I want the theatrical cut, then I have to go with Anchor Bay, yes? The video quality on those discs are not inferior as well, are they?
IIRC, the quality of the AB theatrical cut is slightly better than the director's cut, but neither compares to the R3 disc in terms of quality.
Old 03-11-03, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by CheapBastid
You and me both!

=)

Me too. Ordered from dvdshelf on 3/7, and since the shipping was cheap for up to about 5 discs I thought I would try 2 other dvds I knew little about, but they looked interesting and both were region free.

Well wouldnt ya know, the 2 discs I could care less about are both in stock and in a waiting status, and AOD is OOS on backorder or something like that.

I hope they come thru with this. I wouldnt mind ordering from them again.
Old 03-11-03, 11:45 PM

I ended up ordering from DVDShelf.com, for all the good it did me since they seem to be out of stock on the item. Also I signed up for the YesAsia.com notification when in stock email and I haven't heard from them. So I guess this DVD must be red hot over in Hong Kong or something...
Old 03-12-03, 07:26 AM

Checked my order status this am with dvdshelf, and it shows Aod there with my other 2 discs in a holding status. I guess they are verifying my CC or something??

Fingers crossed.
Old 03-12-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup - just checked mine as well (coincidently) and it's apparently in holding status (waiting for Hero) as well.
Old 03-12-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My order at dvdshelf is still "Waiting", meaning out of stock, and of course they already charged my credit card. I signed up for the notification for YesAsia also....
Old 03-12-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Yup - just checked mine as well (coincidently) and it's apparently in holding status (waiting for Hero) as well.
Me Too
Old 03-13-03, 01:31 AM

Just got my shipping confirmation for Army of Darkness from DVDShelf.com, and I ordered the same day as Trigger. Check your e-mails, guys.
Old 03-13-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Woo-Hoo. Mine shipped from DVD Shelf also.
Old 03-13-03, 01:21 PM
Cool New Member

Just got my confirmation from DDDHouse and mine just shipped today as well
Old 03-13-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone post those screen shots again - the forum linked at the first post doesn't have them anymore and I wanna see the comparison again.
Old 03-13-03, 08:30 PM

I have never ordered from dvdshelf before. Can anyone tell me how long shipping will take to US?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.