Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ginger Snaps Collector's Edition (Canada)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody else here have the Canadian Collector's edition of this film?

Is it in widescreen?

It is supposed to be widescreen, but I have purchased it twice and each time the movie comes up full frame. There should not be a full frame version on the disc, so it is not that I am selecting the wrong version. It is also not, as HMV customer service suggested, that my picture settings are wrong, because all my other movies play as they should.

I just find it odd that I could get two copies, with over a year of time between purchases, and have them both with the same defect. Yet HMV claims no one else has ever reported this problem.

I really love this film, and the other extras are great. I just want to see it as I saw it in the theatre. It is very frustrating! Is there anyone out there who either shares my pain, or can confirm that a widescreen version does actually exist?
Old 01-11-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes!

Artisan R1 is Full Frame (boo!!).

Canadian R1 is W/S and have a ton of special Features

Make sure you tell your DVD Player in its setup menu that you want 4:3LBX or Letterbox.

I think the DVD might be authored that way.
Old 01-11-03, 09:12 AM

Ahhhhh I just found out what was wrong.

My DVD player *was* set to 4:3 display, as it should have been. However, exploring deeper into the setup menus, I found there is also an option for "TV display: Pan & Scan or Widescreen." I'm not quite sure why there are two separate settings for this. Anyway, it is now set to widescreen and the movie appears properly. It is strange that it would affect this single DVD and none of my others, but maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-12-03, 10:44 PM

some DVDs have P&S info encoded into it, and will show the P&S version if you set your DVD player to use the feature....

So even though you have the output set to 4:3 Letterbox (for a 4:3 TV), you also need to set to to be widescreen and not P&S, as you have found out.

The thing is, if all the movie companies used this feature on all their DVDs, there would be no need for seperate widescreen and fullscreen versions of DVD releases...

J.T.