Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region 2 DVD's BETTER than Region 1 versions

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to start a list of Region 2 DVD's that are BETTER than their Region 1 counterparts. I don't know if this will be a long list or not. My goal is to order some of these from amazon.co.uk once this list is compiled. So here goes:

EYES WIDE SHUT - only because the Region 1 version is censored

That's all I can come up with! Looking forward to hearing others...
Old 12-05-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Judging by some of my previous posts i suspect this one will get banished to the 'International' Forum

try www.dvdcompare.org.uk

Last edited by RichDB10; 12-05-02 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-05-02, 10:48 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I don't have exact titles.. but from what I've been told, most every anime release in R2 is better then the R1 counterpart. The downside being that 99% of the time, there are no english subtitles to the japanese dialog.
Old 12-05-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Vryce
I don't have exact titles.. but from what I've been told, most every anime release in R2 is better then the R1 counterpart. The downside being that 99% of the time, there are no english subtitles to the japanese dialog.
Given that he wants to order from amazon.co.uk, I think he only needs to know about R2 European DVD releases, not R2 Japan.

Kenbenobi, just to be clear, in order to play these discs you will need a region-free DVD player that is able to convert PAL format to NTSC.
Old 12-05-02, 11:41 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Vryce
The other downside of course is the HUGE price tag. Take for example the first Macross Zero disc - half an hour at 50 bucks! And that's pretty much standard across the board for anime.
Old 12-05-02, 11:58 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not banishment. Just... deportation. Moving to International.
Old 12-05-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK...don't know whether you would term them as 'better' but ones that differ from their R1 counterparts are:

R2 Monsters Inc. DTS Sound

R2 Suspiria (Anchor Bay) instead of R1 Soundtrack CD there is instead a 76 minute Dario Argento documentary.

R2 (German) Audition Anamorphically enhanced and superior visual quality to R1

R2 Y Tu Mama Tambien Contains a paperback book and additional extras to R1

R2 24:Season 1 additional 90 seconds to US TV airing.

R2 (France) Cube Anamorphically enhanced and includes a short film.

These are one's that i own, apparently according to that link i provided earlier there are in excess of 400 titles judged to be better in R2
Old 12-05-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by RichDB10
try www.dvdcompare.org.uk
Took a quick look here...great site Rich. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-05-02, 03:54 PM
Banned

Fifth Element German R2 Special Edition
They Live R2 - In print Special Edition
Old 12-05-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, Josh... Yes, I do indeed have a region free player that can convert PAL to NTSC...

Great site, Rich! I will definitely be compiling a list and placing a big order...

Does anyone know of a site BETTER than amazon.co.uk that will ship region 2 DVD's to the US? If not, I'm sure they will be getting my business...

Thanks for all of the input, guys!
Old 12-05-02, 08:34 PM

Japan r2
The 6th Day (full bitrate DTS)
The Cell (full bitrate DTS)
Blade (full bitrate DTS)
Scream (out of print) both r rated & unrated cuts on 1 disc
The Sixth Sense (full bitrate DTS)
Lake Placid (full bitrate DTS)
Old 12-05-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by kenbenobi
Does anyone know of a site BETTER than amazon.co.uk that will ship region 2 DVD's to the US? If not, I'm sure they will be getting my business...
I'm not sure that it's necessarily "better", but www.blackstar.co.uk is also very good and very reliable. It might be worth comparing Amazon to them for specific titles.
Old 12-05-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

check this one out...free S/H to the US

www.dvdoo.com

Mostly scandinavian dvds with no-forced subs(you could remove them) and many of the dvds they have are much cheaper than their UK counterparts.

Last note......I got my THE DRIVER in 4 days.....from Denmark to Chicago.....amazing. I dont get that kind of service here in the US.
Old 12-05-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kenbenobi
I tried several and now I get all of my Region 2 UK DVDs from:

Bensons World

Pretty good prices, free shipping for DVDs overseas and the last DVD I ordered from them was delivered five days after I ordered it.
Old 12-06-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the great sites... I will check them all out... Blackstar has many DVD's on sale for 7.99 (pounds) with a few titles I wanted, so you guys might want to take a look!
Old 12-06-02, 01:10 PM

There is one advantage that Amazon.co.uk has over both Bensons World and Blackstar (both of which are VERY good)..

Amazon.UK deducts VAT from orders to the US.

a 16.99 item actually charges for 14.46.

15% is 15%
Old 02-14-03, 02:43 AM
Banned

as to r2 vs. r1...

i think bfi's SALO is an exemplary leader in this respect....
i mean, all things cast aside...this is a film that is entirely shrouded in vagaries and lies and desultory innuendo...i mean, show me a goddamn trailer for this film. please. anyone....MAKE ONE! i don't care!!! here is a piece of art that screams to anyone who dares contemplate it FIGURE ME OUT and have we? intellectually, we've gone as far, i think, as we can with it, but fer fecks sake, when the best that criterion can do is a pathetic excuse for any region or warner brothers title...obviously we're lucky to have the goddamn film at all. and i do mean god and i do mean domned and i do mean at all!
they gave this one the cannibal influx treatment.
they gave this one the same cold shoulder they gave BLOODSUCKING FREAKS.
(not that BSF was undeserving...well, even that is debateable)

much argument has been made over the quality of the bfi versus the criterion....are we all asses?
bfi has not only greater white balance, giving the overall colour tone greater accuracy (blemishes aside, remember, this is a sad archival print), but a few extra seconds of onea the bad boys running about fondling folks and spouting some desadean rant, calling his daughter (the bad guys all married eachothers' daughters, see? its desade. fer fecks sake!) a whore and more fondling of boys and girls alike....be eff dee, i know...but every missing frame is precious...every last nanosecond of vision is another piece to the puzzle of an unresolved, unsung portrait of a genius in emotional decay...and doesn't that tell you that you should send me lotsa money so i can get this goddam journalism degree and stop living like a pauper????
i am verbose....
and perceptive
Old 02-14-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hey Dario,

Dont know what your problem is with SALO but I would like to point two things to you:

YOU'RE VERY ANNOYING!!
AND YOUR ENGLISH SUCKS!!(you're trying too hard to be smart....does not work)

Now...going back to the original topic.....Bensonsworld also deducts the VAT!!
Old 02-14-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see free shipping at Bensons World
Old 02-14-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
I don't see free shipping at Bensons World
It used to be free. Recently they added a small charge of about $.80US per disc.
Old 02-14-03, 12:35 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist

Now...going back to the original topic.....Bensonsworld also deducts the VAT!!
Are you sure? I asked Benson's about this in an email, and they replied that they did NOT deduct VAT, explaining that it helped defray international shipping costs. Although Benson's prices are better than Amazon.co.uk's, and their shipping charges are less, Amazon's VAT break makes their final order price equal or slightly better that Benson's (on the 2 orders I've taken the time to compare).
Old 02-14-03, 02:59 PM

There's another strong point for Bensonsworld: you will never have to pay customs for their orders, since they don't include receipts and they write a smaller sums on the packages. It's very handy and quite reduces the price. (Regarding R1, they're doing the same thing at Dvdboxoffice.)
Old 02-14-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movielib
I tried several and now I get all of my Region 2 UK DVDs from:

Bensons World

Pretty good prices, free shipping for DVDs overseas and the last DVD I ordered from them was delivered five days after I ordered it.
I second the vote for Benson's World. I've ordered twice from them and have received the shipment very promptly. Plus they have excellent communication with their customers. For instance, the first DVD I ordered I got an email from one of their staff making sure I would be able to play an R2 DVD. Very nice!

And now to the topic at hand, just about every Hong Kong Legends DVD is better than the R1 counterpart (if there is one, BTW). I've ordered Police Story I and II and they are of excellent quality and extra content.

Jeremy
Old 02-15-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dvdcompare exists for exactly this purpose. You might want to check it out, or even help out.
Old 02-15-03, 01:30 AM

Babe - R1 Pan & Scan R2 - Anamorphic Widescreen

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.